Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Vehicle Suggestions

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The wife and I have been talking about trying to have a baby, so with that in mind, my extended cab Ranger just isn't going to cut it as far as car seats go. I drive my personal vehicle all over the place every day for work, and I'm afraid that if I don't get rid of it now, I won't be able to get back what I owe on it after 20k more miles are put on. The only problem is, I need a vehicle that is extremely versatile...

Here's what I'm looking for:
-Obviously, the vehicle has to be capable of hauling hunting and fishing gear.
-It needs to be family-friendly... i.e. room for car seats and groceries.
-I need to be able to haul tools and things in the back for work (I'm an inspector... and I deal with sewage on a daily basis)
-Gas mileage needs to be fairly good... I get reimbursed for mileage, but a gas-guzzler will break the bank for me.
-And last but not least, it's got to look good.

I know... there doesn't seem to be many vehicles out there that would meet ALL of these qualifications... that's why I'm asking for help. I would love to have a full size truck with a crew cab, but A)gas mileage is fuckin terrible and B)everybody wants a shit-load of money for full size trucks these days. I kind of like the looks of the Jeep Grand Cherokees. Any suggestions???

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Wood Co.
You won't like this, but get a minivan. Make sure it has stow and go seating. Once the seats are stowed, it's WIDE open. You can make it cool by putting a TOO sticker on the back window.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Fuck Jeep! Fuck Chrysler. I would love to own one but it's almost like receiving stolen property under their new ownership.

Anyway.. Big+roomy+good gas mileage. looks like a minivan for you bub.

Orrrrrrr Look at a Diesel Truck. Sure price per gallon is a little more. But they hold resale like a mother fugger and get better mileage than a gas engine pound for pound.

I was looking at a 2005, Chevy 2,500 HD today with 95,000 miles on it.. Decked out. 4 door, leather, Bose, yada yada and it was still $29,000 "dealer price". Now THAT"S some resale on a 5 year old truck with 95k on it. I didn't see that coming. .. A fuggin Gas trucks drops like 15% the first year and 8% every year for the first 5

huntn2

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Hudson, OH
Whats good gas mileage to you? some of the GM's cut down from 8 to 4 cylinders which isn't bad seems to work if you don't stomp on the gas all the time. When we were getting ready to have our son this spring I picked up my wife a 2007 suburban with like 25k miles on it for about $25k.

When searching I saw a fair amount of 2-3 year old expeditions and tahoes with 12-25k miles anywhere from $20-$30k. Again, depends on what gas mileage you are looking for and budget.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
lowest owner cost is toyota...wife and i picked up a tundra crew with 36K on it for 16...got 17mpg on a trip to the carolinas at 75 mph. Plenty of room for our two kids under 5

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Somewhere OHIO
I'm an owner of a Jeep Cherokee Limited. That's what I got when we decided to get rid of my Firebird to more family friendly lol. It is a 95' and I purchased it in 00' and it still runs good and has done all I need it to do so far. It is the straight 6 engine and all time 4-wheel drive and surprisingly gets 22mpg highway and about 15-17mpg in town. I would own another one.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have been more than pleased with my Hemi Durango. Trips I get more than 22 mpg/18.5 every day (4 cylinders shut off while cruising). But it is BIG! My wife loves riding in it but hates driving it. Which, is fine with me.

We also have a Dodge Dakota 4x4 club cab with the V8. It does everything pretty well with plenty of room for people in the back. I didn't used to be a Dodge fan but...they have changed my opinion. Now we just need them to be privately owned again...fat chance.

Beentown

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We had a van and loved it. However, we have three kids and needed it. We'd still have it if it wasn't ready to die. We upgraded to an Enclave. Same room as a van but sportier looking. Price sucks, but man it's a nice ride.
My Tacoma crew cab has plenty of room as well. It also runs like a tank in the mud and snow.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I have been more than pleased with my Hemi Durango. Trips I get more than 22 mpg/18.5 every day (4 cylinders shut off while cruising). But it is BIG! My wife loves riding in it but hates driving it. Which, is fine with me.

We also have a Dodge Dakota 4x4 club cab with the V8. It does everything pretty well with plenty of room for people in the back. I didn't used to be a Dodge fan but...they have changed my opinion. Now we just need them to be privately owned again...fat chance.

Beentown
I get about the same mileage on my ram 1500. I drive mostly highway and it does pretty well. Plus i love it. Even if it is a chrystler product.

blemas

Summit County
My buddy and his wife just picked up a Ford Edge and really like it.

My wife drove a Durango and loved it, it was an 05 and did ok on gas.

We are considering buying a Pathfinder / 4 Runner after her lease is up.

I too am a minivan hater but they are roomy when you need to haul a lot of junk / people. We rented one for our annual Canadian fishing trip, it hauled 4 guys, all our gear, tackle, fishing rods & food for a week and did it all getting about 21mpg all loaded down. The new Sienna is AWD...