Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Warbels

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I know it's been discussed many times, but what is your take on your newly aquired kill with warbels?

I haven't squirrel hunted hard for a few years, but that is going to change this year and hopefully there are not to many in the area that are affected. I know they don't affect the eating aspect of it, but man they are nasty looking....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If they have warbles I don't eat them. I have had others say it is fine but NOT ME. They just look nasty and I don't care to eat it lol. I always wait till we have 2 heavy frost before I even go out after tree rats.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If they have warbles I don't eat them. I have had others say it is fine but NOT ME. They just look nasty and I don't care to eat it lol. I always wait till we have 2 heavy frost before I even go out after tree rats.

I don't mess with them either. I throw em out... The DNR says it's safe to eat.. I'll tell them the same thing I did when they said that about EHD.. You fuggin eat it then. I don't find that many, maybe 1 in 20 so i don't feel to bad about throwing them in the bushes.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Cool, thanks.

No problem. Like I said..I won't eat them if they have any on at the time I shoot it. We had an outbreak here years ago. Seemed every other tree rat had at least one on it. Thats why I started waiting till after the SECOND hard frost to kill them off. Seem to have worked doing it that way. I never shot another one with a warbel in it :D.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I cut the tail off and throw 'em out if they have warbels. It was so bad for years down here, we never hunted them until the first frost. I've killed a few the past couple years and they've been clean. I'll be out Wednesday to get things started....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Woah. That was news to me. Thanks for the post!
I have never run into that in my area. (knock on wood) Now I know.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
samething that the rabbits get right now right?

I'd like the answer to that question too....I was told years ago not to hunt rabbits before the frost because they had some intestinal parasite that dies after the first frost..now I'm thinkin they meant these warble things....so is it ok to hunt rabbits early and cook 'em if they're warble free?

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
I'd like the answer to that question too....I was told years ago not to hunt rabbits before the frost because they had some intestinal parasite that dies after the first frost..now I'm thinkin they meant these warble things....so is it ok to hunt rabbits early and cook 'em if they're warble free?

Wud bout skunks :smiley_carnaval:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

Dan, The rabbit parasite is way different. They do live in the stomach of the rabbit and are nasty when you gut one with it. It is just like little clear worms that crawl all over inside them. Kind of what a maggot looks like but transparent :(. Just plain looks nasty and you will know if you ever see it when you gut them. Toss it in the weeds and leave it be lol :D.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Rabbits can bet Warbels too.. Even my moms outside cat back in MS got one between it's shoulders once. Hell for that matter there are even Warbels that can get in a humans skin..... Nasty little fuggers.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Glad to know I'm not the only one who won't eat them. Really they do not affect the meat, as it's just a parasite living off the host, but I'm not going to chance it. Anything that is warmblooded and gets the maggot on it, and it enters the system can have the warbel form, even humans even though it's very rare.

I am an ethical sportsman and I hate wasting game more than everything as the kill is a gift, but I feel much much better knowing that I am not the only one who won't. The last two years have been pretty bad for them in northern OH and I pray that last winters cold streak put a hurting on them!