Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Well that was nice of him...

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I ran over to Dunhams at lunch to pick up a .50 cal bore brush and swabs. While I was there, I wondered over to check out the portable propane heaters. I have a small Mr. Heater that does a decent job of heating the blind when its above 30, but it doesn't do much other than keep your feet warm when it gets colder than that. My uncle recently borrowed a two-tank model with the fan on it for gun season and said it keep them snug as bug in the blind all morning. I had a rough idea of what they cost and sure enough, Dunhams wanted $149 for theirs. I checked it out, then shoved the box back on the shelf and turned to leave.

"I have a coupon for that if you are interested."

I turned around to see some random guy at the end of the isle holding out a piece of paper, so I walked over to see what he had. Old boy had a coupon for the same heater for $99, and he had two of them! I asked if he was sure and he said: "Go ahead and rip one of those off, you sure looked like you wanted it!" I thanked him, snatched one up, and headed for the door! After throwing a couple tanks of propane and some batteries in it, I fired it up in the office and boy does it put off some heat! It's rated at 18,000 BTU and will make a great garage heater when it's not in use during hunting season!!!

Bet the wife loves this come Saturday morning!!!

rrr

You'll benefit too. Either I'll be hunting with you and we'll have this. Or you'll be in an other blind with the small heater. My clients hunt in style!!!

I did realize that. As long as the third option isn't "in the other, other blind cuddle up with Randy and Matt" I'm good with that lmao

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
You will love that heater. I bought one and its on its third season and let me say that I have been very pleased with the heat that baby kicks out. It heats our camper during the bow week, I bought an adaptor and hook a 20lb tank to it and it heats it for the 9 nights we are there. I tested the ratings on it as far as low,med,high and length of time. 2 1lb tanks on high will last 6 hours as stated but I rarely have it on high for very long.. usually low does fine with the fan. If I use it in the blind its for taking my 6 and 7 year old late season during firearms season and black powder. The only thing I have thought about changing is making a shoulder strap to carry because depending on the length of your walk it can be cumbersome but worth it. Let us know how it goes bro!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
You will love that heater. I bought one and its on its third season and let me say that I have been very pleased with the heat that baby kicks out. It heats our camper during the bow week, I bought an adaptor and hook a 20lb tank to it and it heats it for the 9 nights we are there. I tested the ratings on it as far as low,med,high and length of time. 2 1lb tanks on high will last 6 hours as stated but I rarely have it on high for very long.. usually low does fine with the fan. If I use it in the blind its for taking my 6 and 7 year old late season during firearms season and black powder. The only thing I have thought about changing is making a shoulder strap to carry because depending on the length of your walk it can be cumbersome but worth it. Let us know how it goes bro!

Sounds good! I was actually brainstorming a way to carry it in as well. It will be well worth I'm sure! When I'm guiding, I tend to dress heavier, yet end up colder. Something about not being in the "hot seat" tends to make me colder than I might be. We'll be hunting one blind that only has the front window open, so I expect it to be a suana in there! The other one is a 360 degree blind and we need almost all the windows open, so having that fan and the high setting will be perfect on those brutal cold morning in the creek bottom!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd like to get a heater like that for my ground blind. Only problem is I don't have a ground blind...

You and I are in the same boat, Flutester... I always look hard at mini heaters, up until I realize I don't have anywhere to use one LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The guy who owns the property I hunt had a heater and he is letting me use it. I went over to Tractor Supply and picked my dad one up for an early Christmas present. So two tents, two adults, and two kids will be comfy this weekend.