Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wet spring = Late planting

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
"we caved to pressure from congressmen because they are in the pockets of insurance lobbyists."

Thanks for the license and tag fees. We are doing everything in our power to make farmers insurance happy. Screw you.

Both would at least be truthful.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
We (family not me) farm 4,000 acres and my friends do another 2500. My Uncle is doing his best to keep the rest of the family out of the fields...

There are all kinds of guys that see we are past May 10th and are getting itchy and stuck in the mud rotflmao That is alot of money going out the window while sitting there watching the field dry. With todays equipment once it is dry enough everything will be in the ground in short order. Just talked to family today and they have switched to a different seed company this year (Channel) and 90-something day corn.

Have you seen the price of a bag of seed corn lately??? :smiley_depressive:

Beentown

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
$200-250 for 80,000 kernels of the good stuff, enough for about 2 1/2 acres. Beans ~$50-60 for 50 lbs, enough for 3/4 an acre.

Yeah that multiple trait stuff is expensive. I about fainted when I went to purchase some "Peaches and Cream" for my gardens. $14 for 1/2 a pound is crazy!

Beentown

Huckleberry Finn

My buddy told me that their 9400T is paying for itself again this spring and that they'll probably look into getting a second one (they farm 5000+). They bought it on a whim and don't prefer it except for in springs like this.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
With out a doubt some that was planted was planted in poor conditions. Add a week of cold, wet weather and the stand might not be what the farmer hoped for.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The farm behind the house got planted, can't tell if it's beans or corn but it still looks like muddy back there!

Same here. I know a couple fields out by my hunting property was planted in corn last week but I don't know what the flash flood rain we had Saturday that dumped 2" of rain in about 30min. did to them. Then on top of that it has done nothing but rain since last night and not looking good until Friday here. Should be interesting to see what happens to the field on the actual property that should be beans this year.

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I work for Heritage Cooperative. We were told yesterday a fair amount of customers are switching to beans so we will be doing alot of treating this next week or so. Alot of guys rolling over contracts and some are buying them out, which gets expensive. If we get a really dry summer and fall it'll be a somewhat normal harvest. Just hope it's not wet. I don't wanna be here come December unloading grain. The only positive will be hunting over standing beans for the first few weeks