Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What do you do to prepare

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
@giles - Not entirely sure what your getting at Dave? I live in the woods for the most part.

If you mean have I been in the woods recently trying to get all my deer hunting shit taken care of, well then, yes, I've been in the woods quite a bit lately for your information.

In fact, 'TOO' be more specific for you;
  • On two occasions over the past 96 hours during the midday time frame while it was raining for approximately three hours in duration hanging a new tree stand & swapping out SD cards in trail cameras, plus relocating one of them to an entirely new area.
  • On two other occasions over the past 48 hours during midday time frame, for approximately one hour each, scouting for another hunting setup & clearing shooting lanes for two current setups earlier today as you can obviously see in the previous post.
  • I'd estimate my time spent in the woods over the past four days, approximately five, maybe six hours altogether.
  • I intend on spending approximately another five hours over the course of a week or so finishing up all my other shit I wish to get done before the new season starts basically.

@Dustinb80 - Yes, I work every day as a matter a fact as an independent contractor/consultant.

I also do all kinds of work right here out of & at my home.

I make myself available to all my contracted clients 24/7/365 for any technical support and/or services.

Most of the work that I do today is done remotely - support work done either over the phone and/or through VPNs (Virtual Private Networks).

My busy time of the year is soon approaching however.

Today, I got to put my mechanic hat on to do work for my 73-year-old father-in-law, winterizing his van for him.

Final session of the day from 75 yards targeting a POP-CAN.

Two solid hits out of five arrows

Have a great evening 'TOO'ville (y)

Good night!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustinb80

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
First five arrow session of the day from 75 yards.

A different camera angle setup where you'll get to see my fat a$$ shoot from the 75 yard marker.

Not a necessarily a bad group to start off with for the day, especially from that range.

Third shot was on the money and hit the POP-CAN from 75 yards

I'll take it for now. Definitely feeling better each time I shoot my bow. Confidence level has almost peaked at this point.

This morning I'm wrapping up the work on my father-in-laws van, then later on I'll be jumping on the mower to knock down roughly 8 acres of grass.

So have a fantastic day to all you 'TOO'lians!

I'll catch up with you all later (y)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
@giles - Not entirely sure what your getting at Dave? I live in the woods for the most part.

If you mean have I been in the woods recently trying to get all my deer hunting shit taken care of, well then, yes, I've been in the woods quite a bit lately for your information.

In fact, 'TOO' be more specific for you;
  • On two occasions over the past 96 hours during the midday time frame while it was raining for approximately three hours in duration hanging a new tree stand & swapping out SD cards in trail cameras, plus relocating one of them to an entirely new area.
  • On two other occasions over the past 48 hours during midday time frame, for approximately one hour each, scouting for another hunting setup & clearing shooting lanes for two current setups earlier today as you can obviously see in the previous post.
  • I'd estimate my time spent in the woods over the past four days, approximately five, maybe six hours altogether.
  • I intend on spending approximately another five hours over the course of a week or so finishing up all my other shit I wish to get done before the new season starts basically.

@Dustinb80 - Yes, I work every day as a matter a fact as an independent contractor/consultant.

I also do all kinds of work right here out of & at my home.

I make myself available to all my contracted clients 24/7/365 for any technical support and/or services.

Most of the work that I do today is done remotely - support work done either over the phone and/or through VPNs (Virtual Private Networks).

My busy time of the year is soon approaching however.

Today, I got to put my mechanic hat on to do work for my 73-year-old father-in-law, winterizing his van for him.

Final session of the day from 75 yards targeting a POP-CAN.

Two solid hits out of five arrows

Have a great evening 'TOO'ville (y)

Good night!
Dude, its your life, live it! No need to account for your actions or work schedule. There are times it would appear I never work. I spent a lot of years busting my tail to get to that point in life. Unfortunately for me, I'm currently spending way more time working than I'd like... I look forward to getting back to hunting/fishing/sleeping whenever I please. lol

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
@brock ratcliff
anigif_enhanced-buzz-3680-1365442519-3.gif

Coolest video I've made yet imho - from 75 yards away to straight into your face.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
@bowhunter1023 & @jagermeister

If you’re passionate about something and absolutely love it, you’ll find or make the time - no doubt about it.

Good luck to ya fellas(y)

Another cool video I think of my first session of the day shooting five arrows from 30 yards this morning.

Arrows coming atchya @300' per second:cool:

Two solid hits out of the five with a good tight four arrow group and one stupid flyer.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Just two more weeks crew and the game is on!

This afternoon I went out to my ‘Funnel Stand’ and installed a new concealment system, which I like quite a bit (y)

(Before & after from the ground look)
2018-09-14 15.29.03.jpg

You can see additional photographs from the stand view and from the deer's point of view in the attachments.

I also installed a ‘Field & Stream’ umbrella, which will provide some afternoon shade & keeping me dry during any rainy weather conditions. It'll help blend me into the tree better 'TOO' I believe from a deer perspective.

20180914_150309.jpg

The honeysuckle limbs just below the tree stand are being held up by a concealment system that I bought at this year’s Deer & Turkey Expo.

It’s called the “Crow’s Nest”, purchased from www.blindhunting.com

20180914_171328-1[1].jpg

I also managed to get in my second session of shooting five arrows from my compound bow a little bit ago.

I targeted another new Pepsi can from 20 yards this time.

I hit the can 4 out 5 times with a nice tight group altogether.

You can see my five Carbon Express 250- 300 FPS arrows being shot right at the camera basically, below.

Hope everybody had a good day today :)

Take care!

Attachments

• 2018-09-14 15.31.28.jpg
    2018-09-14 15.31.28.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 2018-09-14 15.32.36.jpg
    2018-09-14 15.32.36.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 2018-09-14 15.39.11.jpg
    2018-09-14 15.39.11.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My buddy bought one of those crows nest things at a outdoor show, never did use it. Need to get you some millenniums, Denny. Hell with those uncomfortable stands!

Reactions: MoonLab

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
My buddy bought one of those crows nest things at a outdoor show, never did use it. Need to get you some millenniums, Denny. Hell with those uncomfortable stands!

Yeah Boy!

They sure do look nice, but not nearly as nice for the kind of money they're asking for them, at least for me...

Well over $200 bucks for just one of them and still has a smaller platform than the one I just installed.

I have six hang-on tree stands currently, which means it would cost me well over $1,200 bucks if I upgraded to those millenniums.

On average, I'd say I sit for approximately 2-3 hours per hunt at those hang-on stands of mine. Usually just morning & evening hunts.

I have five of them currently installed and I'm still debating whether or not to go ahead and install the last one.

My cost for those six tree stands altogether, I'd say somewhere around $150 bucks. All of them were on sale at the time I bought them.

If I do any all day sit, I'll get my climber out, which is the most comfortable stand I've ever used in my hunting career. I love the damn thing!

I usually do a half dozen all day sits throughout a hunting season on average with my climber.

I appreciate your concern @Bigslam51 !

Maybe when I hit the lottery someday, then I'll go ahead and upgrade all my hang-on tree stands :D

Continuing with the different perspective of five arrows coming at you from 75 yards away this evening.

I'm just in view in the upper left corner of the video @75 yards away.

One solid hit out of five shots on the POP-CAN for my final session of the day within the last 30 minutes of daylight.

Another one very close, with the three others not even within the ball park.

It was getting very difficult for me to see the target at that distance in last light.

Have a great evening everybody!

Peace out (y)

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
View attachment 64722 What??? Nobody does any Yoga to prepare?

Oh snap Floki😂😂😂😂😂

I found this pic of me flingin some xx75 2018’s down range with my Bear Whitelail with Cobra sights😂 I’m surprised my top Fletch wasn’t hitting the bottom of my sight bracket! Lol
Oh, had to edit this in, my set up here shot pretty dang good for having no stab! Lol No fastflight string or noise dampeners and singlecam rig, Would it win against my new setup? No, but it got the job done if I did my part. It was as quiet as a any fart and those 5” fletches won’t be found on any compound rig today but this pic was taken nearly 38 years ago....😳
Man I miss those days when there was no leasing and competition in the woods and you had permission from just about anyone that knew ya. Man have times sure changed since then! Wish I had a crystal ball back then when land was cheap cuz I’d be a dirt poor sumbitch😂

Practice Practice Practice

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
2-3 hours is about all you'll get out of one of them stands. I just use several millennium brackets, and the same stand. 5-6 brackets, one stand, is 5-6 treestand locations for around $300, and my 6'8" frame will sit all day in comfort[emoji41]

The bracket thing sounds good!

When I go to retire my next hang-on, I'll give your suggestion a shot.

Like I said, they do look pretty darn nice.

I'm 5'6" @ approx. 165#, just slightly bigger than a tree rat (squirrel) :LOL:

My current stands have worked for me over the years. No major complaints really.

I hunt & scout out of them quite a bit.

If I have to close the distance, I usually use my climber.

Each hang-on is strategically located throughout the property that will give me the opportunity to hunt pretty much everyday despite wind direction we have when I go to head out.

Most of the deer movement around my place mainly occurs within the first few hours of sunrise and the last hour in half of daylight or legal time, with the exception of the rut or adverse weather conditions.

For the time being, the ones I have in place will work for me once again, I'm sure.

Thanks again for the info! (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigslam51

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
First five arrows of the day right after my first cup of coffee and waking up a little bit.

Very beautiful morning that's for sure.

No solid hits this go around, but very close.

Still not a bad group from 75 yards for me anyhow with one high flyer.

I'll take it!

I get another one in later.

Definitely will make the shorter distances feel like chip shots after quite a few of these longer sessions.

Have a great weekend everybody! :)