Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What do you do to prepare

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
New spots of ivy are continuing to show up. Why the fugg does every perfect tree for a stand have poison ivy vines on it. Even after clearing them I still get it. Thanks Ryan for doing the grunt work, I'll handle the hard stuff next time bub...
No no, we have a good arrangement Bub. Afterall, you're still rehabbing the knee. All jokes aside, it amazes me that I wade through the shit, chopping and clearing it out, and you still get it. Probably the few times i dropped the pull rope and other items in it before handing it up to you[emoji1787]

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
THE CONCLUSION

Just got back from the archery shop and I'm happy to report that I'm totally back on line and to continue with my bow practice (y)
20180917_112537-1[1].jpg

THE DISCOVERY

My TruFire Hurricane Release was the culprit in a big way as you can see for yourself below. It has some minor play in the lower jaw where it doesn't line up perfectly with the trigger jaw, leaving a hard cutting edge :mad:
20180917_112329-1[1].jpg

I have a brand new bow release coming this Wednesday.

Until then, I'll be working on another hunting setup & swap SD cards out during the rain today & tomorrow :D

Reactions: finelyshedded

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
That looks like the Hardcore from Tru-fire, if so, that's what I'm currently using. Great release! Particularly like the fold away option on it. Keeps the "clinking" at bay while ascending and descending the stand.

Reactions: Wildlife

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I'm shooting and trying not to use up all my good shots before season....so far I'm good cause most of my shots have been bad! I did get my foot trails to a couple set ups cleared of thorns, sticks and branches.
Here's a prickture of the equipment I use for "Fat Guy Yoga"
What cigar you smoking?

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I got out for my first practice session since my mishap from the other day & because of the rain 'TOO'.

My first 5 arrows shot from 40 yards with a decent group result.

3 out of 5 solid hits with the other 2 very close.

I ended up using my son's T.R.U. BALL wrist release, which is very similar to my Tru-Fire Hurricane release that I was using right up until my bow release loop broke.

I'm starting to believe that my typical 'flyer' in my past practice sessions was due to my defective bow release I was using, which caused the loop to break just the other day.

That slight play in one of the jaw clutches of that release I think was enough to cause the inconsistencies of my five arrow groups.

I'll know that for sure once I get my new release tomorrow and start shooting with that one.

Have a great day 'TOO' crew (y)

Fletch

Supporting Member
My prep seems so easy compared to you guys. I trimmed all my shooting lanes last week. Took out the Wicked Ridge Warrior on Friday. Lubed the rail and waxed the string. Got out my target and took two shots with broadheads in place, both were inside a 1 1/2" circle at 18 yards. Now all I need is some fall like weather in a couple of weeks.
Dick.... I'm like you keep it simple....

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Just so the 'TOO' crew knows,,,

I :love: LOVE LETTING ARROWS FLY!

Especially this time of year, and also allow me remind some of you, I do this for my physical therapy 'TOO'.

With that in mind,

here's my second practice session that's a little different that what I've been doing over the past week or so.

Just to make things more interesting and somewhat challenging for me I suppose.

40 yards away while targeting Pepsi cans through trees, honeysuckle and over obstacles.

Allow me to also share my new weapon that I just received this afternoon.

20180918_144914[1].jpg

My Cobra Pistol Crossbow w/ 40 bolts :cool:

Yes,

it’s very lethal in case anybody was wondering..

Watch out Mr. Squirrel cause I’m coming for you :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Dustinb80

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
So yesterday I got pretty proficient with my new toy shooting it from 10 - 20 yards with it, which seems to be it’s most effective range.

It’s an 80# mini crossbow that shoots fairly fast. Not sure how fast, but fast.

So today, I put it to the test just in case one day my life depended on it,

and guess what?

It works perfectly

Taken @20 yards and it was a perfect shot.

This was my second attempt where I barely missed my first one moments prior.

Because of this test, I went ahead and bought a cheap red dot sight and some different bolts that I’ll customize.

My customized bolts will have razor type broad-heads on them to make it even more lethal.

Now, back to getting me a couple more tree rats so can make a good meal later on.

You guys have a great afternoon!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I'm back to 100% with my bow once again.

I received my brand new Tru-Fire 'Hardcore' buckle release moments ago via the mail.
20180919_151524[1].jpg

After making the appropriate adjustment on it, I went ahead and shot my first five arrows with it and first five for the day.

So far so good...

Not bad for my first time shooting with this type release, ever.

A few more practice sessions and I do believe my groups will even get better/tighter.

And YES - I'm convinced that my previous release is what caused most of my flyers throughout my previous practice sessions.

I'm glad all this happened before the season started that's for sure.

Confidence is almost at max level.

Another week's worth of practice should do it for me - NO DOUBT!

Take it easy fellas (y)

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
TONIGHT!

Full Draw Film Tour - Columbus

Gonna be attending the big show this evening & looking forward to it (y)

Planning on meeting my younger brother & nephew that I haven't seen in quite awhile.

Should be a good time :cool:

Still trying to get used to my new TruFire "Hardcore" buckle bow release.

Three practice sessions(15 arrows) thus far with it.

It's definitely different compared to what I have used for almost ten years.

Seems to be coming along though. :)

Last five shots from last evening within the last few minutes of daylight from 50 yards targeting a Pepsi can.

One solid hit out of five arrows with a decent four arrow group.

My first five shots this morning shooting from 50 yards targeting a Pepsi can.

Two solid hits out of five arrows with a decent overall size group.

I appreciate the support from all my fellow archery hunters regarding my progress in getting fully prepared for the new deer season.

I hope all of you are just as ready 'TOO'?

Have a great day everybody!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
8 days 15 hours 30 minutes

Just another friendly reminder about the Full Draw Film Tour - Columbus tonight.

I understand that there'll be at least one other 'TOO' member attending.

So that's why I'm post my second & final practice session of the day for all of the caring 'TOO' members here at 'TOO'-ville :LOL:

I shot another five arrows this afternoon from 20 yards away at a Pepsi can.

I ended up hitting the can 4 out of 5 times with nearly a couple of 'Robin-hoods'.

Still yet to hit the Pepsi can 5 out of 5 times so far this year.

Until then, I'll just keep at it.

I'll catch up later on tomorrow (y)

Have a great rest of the day 'TOO' crew!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
8 days 15 hours 30 minutes

Just another friendly reminder about the Full Draw Film Tour - Columbus tonight.

I understand that there'll be at least one other 'TOO' member attending.

So that's why I'm post my second & final practice session of the day for all of the caring 'TOO' members here at 'TOO'-ville [emoji38]

I shot another five arrows this afternoon from 20 yards away at a Pepsi can.

I ended up hitting the can 4 out of 5 times with nearly a couple of 'Robin-hoods'.

Still yet to hit the Pepsi can 5 out of 5 times so far this year.

Until then, I'll just keep at it.

I'll catch up later on tomorrow (y)

Have a great rest of the day 'TOO' crew!
Stache will be there