Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What have I done?

Creamer

Athens
The aluminum adapters on those broadheads are the weak link,i switched mine to steel ones.
Then just went with the Woodmen elites all one piece steel aftercawhile,they spin great and fly great.
Playing around with some Simmons heads this Summer to see if i like em.

I honestly wasn't thinking about going the Woodsman route, but since I'm planning to upgrade bows next winter/spring I didn't want to drop a lot of money on heads only to find out maybe I'm not shooting that weight head next year. I shot the Woodsman for a while yesterday and they do fly like darts, no doubt about that. If they perform well for me this year I might be inclined to do what you did and jump to the elites.

Reactions: Boarhead

Creamer

Athens
I'll start by saying this is far from normal, but my first three shots yesterday from 40 yards were touching. I stopped after the 3rd because I heard shaft slappage. A little high-left, but from 40, not too awful for me. (I was aiming for the center bullseye on the range bag)

Creamer

Athens
So we continually have groundhog issues with them trying to den under our shed. At least I think they are issues, my wife...not as much. I've been patiently waiting all summer to have a backyard crack at one with the recurve when I was home alone, and yesterday was finally the day. I checked out the window, light rain was falling, and I saw the smaller of the two out eating between the shed and our driveway. I grabbed the recurve and an old arrow (from my original shaft test kit) with a Hex blunt and went to work. I went out the front door and knew if I hurried I could use the light rain and its location to get in range. When I reached the driveway, I could use a large shrub as cover between the groundhog and me to cut the distance. Usually the damn things will scatter for the shed as soon as they hear any noise. I got to the shrub and eased into a spot where I had a shooting window and just had to wait for Chuck to move slightly left into my lane. As it did, I started to draw and he looked up. I paused, he started eating again, and I got back to anchor. He was facing me almost straight on and I was trying to head shoot him. The shot went right under his chin and buried in him. He flopped around for a few seconds and I knew he was toast. First trad bow kill!

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
So we continually have groundhog issues with them trying to den under our shed. At least I think they are issues, my wife...not as much. I've been patiently waiting all summer to have a backyard crack at one with the recurve when I was home alone, and yesterday was finally the day. I checked out the window, light rain was falling, and I saw the smaller of the two out eating between the shed and our driveway. I grabbed the recurve and an old arrow (from my original shaft test kit) with a Hex blunt and went to work. I went out the front door and knew if I hurried I could use the light rain and its location to get in range. When I reached the driveway, I could use a large shrub as cover between the groundhog and me to cut the distance. Usually the damn things will scatter for the shed as soon as they hear any noise. I got to the shrub and eased into a spot where I had a shooting window and just had to wait for Chuck to move slightly left into my lane. As it did, I started to draw and he looked up. I paused, he started eating again, and I got back to anchor. He was facing me almost straight on and I was trying to head shoot him. The shot went right under his chin and buried in him. He flopped around for a few seconds and I knew he was toast. First trad bow kill!

Giles needs nut pics!😂

Creamer

Athens
I'm trying to force myself to shoot lower on my deer target. The top arrow here is pretty much middle of the vitals but I'd think even a slight drop by the deer puts that arrow a bit higher than I'd like.

Creamer

Athens
Yesterday was a frustrating day, non-archery wise. That bled over into my short shooting session. I don't shoot well when I'm pissed off. It took some deep breaths and trying to refocus to end with this group.

Creamer

Athens
This was a good (for me) walk back group today. 10-15-20-30-40. Worst shot was actually the 30 yard shot. The 40 was money.

Finished off my lunch shooting with 4 5-shot groups from my blind chair from 18 yards. 19/20 were in the kill zone, and the one that wasn't was 1/2" low. If the deer ducked at all it was lethal. This was my last 5 from the chair.

Creamer

Athens
Tom Clum advised the little stick on arrow holders were a great cheap add-on for hunting. I listened.

My 3D target needs a new kill zone. Basically it's gone. So I subbed in a 1-time kill zone.

Last blind chair group. Can we just make season open this Saturday?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just got an arrow holder in the mail this week. Also coming is a new string from Mountain Muffler, a clicker draw-check, and some new feathers to freshen up some arrows.

Good shooting man!

Reactions: Creamer and MoonLab