Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What have I done?

Creamer

Athens
I had planned to refletch some arrows last night but the asshole USPS tracking was wrong and my feathers didn't arrive. So, instead, I got my broadheads sharpened up and installed the Nock Out lighted nocks on two more shafts. I've got 4 arrows in my quiver, three with lighted nocks, broadheads installed. It's starting to feel real. The broadheads I had been using for practice were pretty dull and took a while to get shaving sharp.

Reactions: OO2

Creamer

Athens
To say my original 3 practice arrows needed refletched might be understatement of the month. They were rough.

This was my first time using fletching tape, and I have to say that stuff is pretty slick. Slick as in easy, it's pretty sticky stuff.

And most importantly, they shot well after they were done.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My practice arrows look the same. Best thing about feathers though is they still do a great job correcting arrow flight even when they're in bad shape! I have 6 shiny new shafts just waiting on new white feathers. I'll probably get em dressed up sometime this week.

I keep a set of "practice" broadheads separate from my hunting broadheads. It's a little more expensive this way, obviously, but it's more convenient switching from practice mode to hunting mode.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's amazing how easily you can mind fuck yourself into being totally worthless with a stickbow. Good on you for shutting it down and coming back fresh.

Reactions: Creamer and OO2

Creamer

Athens
I did a final rehearsal from the saddle at lunch today. I set up a more challenging shot than I intended but it was good practice. From the saddle, the kill zone was barely peeking out from behind a tree and I had a small hole to shoot through with some limbs. My first group I had an arrow deflect off a branch and hit in the shoulder, this was the second set of 3.

Last three arrows from 18 at ground level.

Creamer

Athens
I smoked the bejeebus out of my tab and arm guard on Friday, since I'd used both all spring and summer and sweated on them a ton.

Not sure I ever thought I'd say "I was in a Tree Saddle on public land with a recurve."

No shots taken, I had two deer walk right past me in the mostly dark before sunrise. I spotted no deer once I had shooting light. I did have a raccoon waddle behind me that scrambled me into "Oh shit, might get a shot" mode. That got the blood pumping. Cold shot when I got home was pretty good.

Reactions: Big_Holla and OO2

OO2

In the Uplands
Nice shooting! How’d you like the first run with the saddle? Good luck with the recurve this season. I

f you shoot one on public and need any help dragging don’t be afraid to ask. I’m in Athens most of the time.

Creamer

Athens
Nice shooting! How’d you like the first run with the saddle? Good luck with the recurve this season. I

f you shoot one on public and need any help dragging don’t be afraid to ask. I’m in Athens most of the time.

Thanks, man, I appreciate it!

I have a thread on the Bow hunting forum here about the saddle. Saturday was my first sit in it during season. So far, I really like it.

Reactions: OO2

Creamer

Athens
It's a whole different game shooting at the real thing.
Keep at it, anchor tight and pick a spot.
I also have to remind myself to aim lower when shooting out of a stand at deer. I hit a little higher than i wanted the other day but was still ok.

How high are you hunting? So far, with the Tree Saddle, I'm using 3 LW climbing sticks and a small platform. I'm right around 13' or so up. Definitely a lot lower than I normally hunted with a compound.

Reactions: jagermeister

Creamer

Athens
I sat the blind on Sunday evening, looking for revenge with the same head I choked with the week before. Revenge will have to wait.

It was fun watching these guys at extremely close range.

I had never turkey hunted that property before, but I think this coming spring I might have to give it a shot.