Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is your favorite wood to burn?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Put a wood burner in my garage earlier this year and have been talking with various guys who burn wood. It seems that everyone has their own "favorite" wood they like to burn in their house or building.

What is your favorite?

I know Oak is one that everyone likes but the Oak I have has not had enough time to dry and season yet.

If I had to choose from what I've burnt so far I would have to go with Elm or Ash.

Just curious as to what others like to burn.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I printed off this chart and keep it in my glovebox in the truck. http://www.jerseyfirewood.com/AboutUs/FirewoodFacts.aspx

It shows Million BTU per cord, sparks, Ease of splitting and other useful info.

Firewood is work. The less i can handle each stick, and the more heat i get from each stick greatly decides how much work has to be done in prep for winter..

No reason taking the Boxelder that is hard to split and getting only 18 million BTUs; If I could take the Green Ash for 2 million more BTUs and is way easier to split.

Work Smarter not harder ;)

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I printed off this chart and keep it in my glovebox in the truck. http://www.jerseyfirewood.com/AboutUs/FirewoodFacts.aspx

It shows Million BTU per cord, sparks, Ease of splitting and other useful info.

Firewood is work. The less i can handle each stick, and the more heat i get from each stick greatly decides how much work has to be done in prep for winter..

No reason taking the Boxelder that is hard to split and getting only 18 million BTUs; If I could take the Green Ash for 2 million more BTUs and is way easier to split.

Work Smarter not harder ;)

That's a pretty handy reference!

Geezer

*Hims a Super Moderator*
:smiley_cigar:rotflmaorotflmaoHickory is the best of wood
screw'n duz the womenz good
it opens their eyez
and spreads their thighs
and give ther ass sum exercize

I am burning a lot of Ash as we have tons of tops from loging the Ash out before it all died

But I preferr Oak or Locust

But I will burn just about anything
I have a bunch of Beach and Buckeye to split
As I got the wood for free when they cut a bunch of trees in the Electric company right of way

John

Diablo54

Outside
I am burning a lot of Ash as we have tons of tops from loging the Ash out before it all died

But I preferr Oak or Locust

But I will burn just about anything
I have a bunch of Beach and Buckeye to split
As I got the wood for free when they cut a bunch of trees in the Electric company right of way

John

How long has the beach been sitting?

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I seldpm burned anything but oak in the fireplace, maple is a close second. For the fire pit I like sassafrass because it sparks and pops, not so good in the house.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like some nice seasoned oak, but ash is nice too. Really haven't had access to hickory. Plenty of access to maple. It is okay for in between weather but not a very good "all nighter" usually. I helped a guy move some cherry. 4' diameter tree we cut to length and loaded on my gooseneck to have milled into lumber. I got all the tops. That burnt great as well. I have never seen a cherry this big in my life. Might never see one this big again.