Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What To Get?

I want a light weight powerful rifle that I can take hiking, hunting, and backpacking. Barrel leight should be short 22" max. Light weigth 7 pounds max. The rifle has to be able to hold 4 or more rounds and be able to at least be able to kill deer elk and bears out to 150 yards. i really dont want to spend over 550 either what ive come up with so far is the tika t3 in .300 win mag, howa 1500 308 and a marlin 45/70 guidegun.
Marlin guide gun is 6.5 pounds and $450
Tika t3 lite 7 pounds and $556
Howa 1500 ranchland compact 7.14 pound and $525.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have the Howa Target/Custom .308 and can't be happier. I can get you into a .308 1500 Lightning with Realtree camo stock with a 22" barrel for $350 plus transfer/shipping. Just let me know. The Tikka is a good gun for the money also. Not sure what length you can get them in but the "X" series from Marlin is quite light and accurate.

Beentown

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Not for that price. The camo is what is on "special". For $200 cheaper I could live with Realtree ;) Just kidding you, get what you like. Just passing along what is available to me. I can get the Custom Varmint with 20" barrel but it is a bit heavier at 8.25#s.

Another "shorty" is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye with 16.5" barrel available in:

6.8 spc
7mm-08

or 20"

300 RCM
338 RCM

$529

Beentown

I dont know if its a option..But on the budget end of the spectrum might be the Savage Axis...Just under 300$ no scope an just over 300$ with scope.They come in .270 WIN 30-06 SPFLD ,308 WIN ,25-06 ,REM ,243 WIN, 7MM-08 ,REM 223, REM,22-250 ,REM..Two you issues you may have with them..They only come in black stock an blue barrel..Or camo stock blue barrel only..And I dont think they come with traditional sights.Barrel length is 22inches.And total length is just under 44inches..Weight is 6.5lbs an the magazine holds 4 rounds...

Huckleberry Finn

Yea pretty sure I wouldn't shoot a bear with a .223 or 22-250.

---

ArcherTL - sounds like you're describing a Marlin!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Was just trying to find you something for a "deal". I am a bit of a horse trader and like some room left on a gun $ wise.

My best recommendation is to buy used. Find the exact rifle that you like then find it on the used market.

Have you tried a Ruger manufactured after the late 80's early 90's? They used to be gritty (actions) around that time period but are one of the best manufactured guns on the market imho. A bit heavy...on purpose.

Good luck in your search. If you find a good deal on something you like but it is a bit long....buy it. Take it too a local smith and have them cut and crown it for you. Not a hard task by any means. I have done it myself....I am no gunsmith :)

Good luck in your search. If you find a good deal on something you like but it is a bit long....buy it. Take it too a local smith and have them cut and crown it for you. Not a hard task by any means. I have done it myself....I am no gunsmith :)

Yea I didn't think of that. Thanks for your help Charles. I love the trigger and action on the tikka but I hate the stock. I really like the marlin but I making longer shots would be more difficult. I dont really care for the stock on the howa either.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The Marlin XS7 .308 is a GREAT budget gun IMHO. Alot of value, great accuracy, and it only weighs 6.5 pounds.

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a Savage Axis which is stainless in 22-250. Black stock. Just saying, they have some other options. Not honestly sure on the weight or barrel length though off top of my head. They have a pretty good trigger, but this one does NOT have the accutrigger. Feels great in my hands. Now I need to get it dialed in along with a few others collecting dust. Working for a living and raising a family dampens the spirits when it comes to free time. Free time just doesn't exist.

I think we found the winner. I got my hands on a marlin X7S today. The X7 is the same action as the XS7 and XL7. I think marlin changed the model name after the new haven, CT plant closed and production started at the SC plant. The X7S (the S stands for stainless) has a nicer stock imo and a fluted bolt. From what i can tell thos are the only differences between the X7 and xl7 or xs7. The only down side is the blind mag but for $295 who can complain. The wieght is 6.5 lbs. the action is smooth the tigger is nice and it should be accurate. I really hope remington didnt screw this up

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I hope not either I have a pre-Remington XS7S. It is a fine gun. That is a fine choice. Please keep us updated on how it does. Mine has done a .72 five shot group. Not bad for a 6.5# rifle ;)

Beentown