Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What would you do?

Snyder10

Did the buck move that early in shooting light only on a good weather day with cooler temps? If so, my vote would be to watch the weather and make your first sit count. It's your best shot, like someone else said. If you don't have favorable conditions (wind and temps), I'd wait. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. You can kill a doe anytime on that private ground but your best shot at that buck would be to jump in the ring when the variables line up to put him in front of you with light to shoot.
Yessir good weather day. About 7:40 and the temp was 53.
All good stuff fellas, thanks as always for the input!

Why not go after him as soon as conditions are semi favorable? Based on your description of a small property and the public land aspect it seems like pressure may be on him from day 1, regularless if it’s from you or not. I think we’ve all waited for optimal conditions to go after a mature buck we’ve had on cam only to have had him disappear before we even started hunting him. To me the first few weeks (in the evening) is the best time to kill a mature buck you’ve had on camera or patterned (unless you have hundreds of acres). After that just way to many factors influences how he moves and where he lives. Bottom line.... if you don’t kill him ...whatever decision you make...you’ll regret thinking you should have done “X” instead of “Y” ....its what makes this game we play so much fun! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Bust a doe right away but have your exact spot ready to setup the blind the same day. Go in, make noise, make hay, prep for future, crack a beer.

Reactions: giles