Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What would you like to see change?

Diablo54

Outside
As I sit here watching hunting on TV I think really? How fake can it get? These guys need to capture the real celebration and the real emotions from the hunt. Not the ok lets act excited and edit this into the hunt. What would you like to see changed or improved in these hunting shows?:smiley_coolpeace:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I want to see them hunt in real everyday conditions like most of us have. No bean fields. No food plots (I'm just jealous, that's all).

Take out the footage of the hunter drawing. I know that camera man ain't in that tree moving back and forth between the deer and the hunter.

Diablo54

Outside
When you rattle a buck in he comes in looking for a fight all puffed up and ticked off. Not just strolling through. Why even edit in fake rattling? It's not like your endorsing a product.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I can't watch hunting shows that use techniques that won't work in the pressured areas I hunt. If you want to get a good DVD series, get the series by John and Chris Eberhart.
I've read most of their books too. They hunt pressured Michigan land. It learned a noob like me a lot. Some of it my be remedial to most of you.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can't watch hunting shows that use techniques that won't work in the pressured areas I hunt. If you want to get a good DVD series, get the series by John and Chris Eberhart.
I've read most of their books too. They hunt pressured Michigan land. It learned a noob like me a lot. Some of it my be remedial to most of you.

Can't agree enough with the Eberhart books/videos! They are great. The two videos I do not yet own are on my Christmas list. Some of the hunts on tv are okay. Others are just about a farce. Just about anything Jackie Bushman is a joke.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Its all so "canned"

But try an get sponsors when you have a bad season and see no deer or have slobs screwing up the woods for a day...

" Well folks, sorry we didn't see a single deer on todays show but we all know its cause the little 14 year old bastard on the 4 wheeler spooked everything out of the woods. Tune in next week where I'm going to show some pictures of deer we found on the web an point to kill zone shots. Also, I'd like to thank our few remaining sponsors for hanging in there during this rough season. "

:smiley_crocodile:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Can't agree enough with the Eberhart books/videos! They are great. .

Will have to look into them...

I got fed up w/ so many of the hunting shows I stopped watching them for the most part.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I would like to see a real world hunting show where these celebs are taken to a tract of land they have never seen before. They are handed an aerial map and a topo map, given a tent and primitive camping supplies, and they can have their bow, a treestand, and a good sharp knife. They are then left for a week, and must kill a deer on their own and film the entire thing themselves. To survive, they have to kill squirrels and rabbits, or whatever is in season, get their water from the creek, and manage to be a successful outdoorsman. Now that would be a show I watch.

Get Tred Barta off the air! What a minace to the archery industry, with his gut shot elk to the 60 yard shot at caribou with a longbow.

Get some penetration...drop the Rage nonsense. It's not like throwing an axe through an animal...an axe is an axe. It's disgusting to see 90% of the arrow sticking out of the deer as it limps away.

Show how easy it is to field dress a deer. I've never seen that one shown on TV. I've been around some other hunters that made field dressing a deer look like they'd used a chainsaw. Use a sharp knife, push your sleeves up and it'll be over in 5 minutes.

Take the caffine away from Roger Raglin. Wow! 5 year old kids don't get that worked up over a trip to Toys R Us.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i would like to see a show that shows a hunter and his journey through the year....the scouting, the treestand placement,....all of it.. and see what shakes out...now thats an adventure

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
i would like to see a show that shows a hunter and his journey through the year....the scouting, the treestand placement,....all of it.. and see what shakes out...now thats an adventure

Get the Eberhart video series.:smiley_coolpeace:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Greg. You might have a good idea for a new hunting show. You could be like survivor man and film yourself. Im sure there is enough if us that have access to good land you could use for your show.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That would be a boring show to watch cause I can't kill deer. I'm not much of a deer hunter.

On a side note, Jesse and I talked about it in the past. I think it would be a cool concept, but might be hard to pull off...

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I agree with what you guys have said. Make it more realistic to what most will encounter.

While thinking about this topic it reminded me of an episode from a show but I can't remember which show. They were sitting filming a nice buck in a field when a pickup comes down the road. It was a couple teenagers and they stick a gun out the window a take a crack at the buck and speed off. Bad news for the kids was these guys had it on film. The guys said something like, "well there goes the hunt." I watched and thought, welcome to the average persons struggles. Welcome to sitting there and having someone come and setup within 30-50 yards of you while bow hunting. Welcome to tresspassers, etc.

To me I would like to see more of this. Give me people I can relate to who don't drop one for the books in 4-5 states every year. Give me someone who works their a$$ off and still eats their tag. Make it educational and lets see products marketed that they actually use to try and connect. Lets hear their reasons for why they have setup where they have, their tactics, etc. for properties of varying acreage. Lets see them on that 20-50 acre parcel and what they would do when the neigbors are all over them.

Just what I would like to see...

Gordo

Athens County
Honestly, I agree with all you guys. Greg pretty much nailed it. That would be a hell of alot more entertaining then watching buck after buck hit the ground on these canned hunts.

I'd rather watch someone bust there ass/struggle to get on any deer in a limited amount of time on a property that they've never stepped foot on.

Someone should get on it and make their million before someone else does.

tuffshot

The Crew
Screw the videos!
Let the manufacturers stick to more normal advertizing. The products would be a lot cheaper if they didn't have to pay for their boy toys with truck, trips, hotels or whatever else your money is paying for.

Most everyone here has worked a hell of a lot harder for their trophy and watching these videos will not get you a thing.