Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's For Dinner?

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A place not far from me advertises Louisiana female crabs for sale and I noticed the ones you have on the plate are all female....do the males go to deeper water in the winter or are they not legal to catch?

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
A place not far from me advertises Louisiana female crabs for sale and I noticed the ones you have on the plate are all female....do the males go to deeper water in the winter or are they not legal to catch?

Females make a run during the winter. In a couple months they will egg up. Males can be caught year round but like 3$ a pound right now. Females are 1.25$ a pound. I didn’t pay for them so I picked out some really big ones to take home. Also males mostly get shipped to Maryland, that where we shipped ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckmaster

Portage
When I get a keeper slab of deer ribs I strip off all the meat and fat layers to get down to the main slab.

To render off the remaining fat you can boil for 30 minutes or so...then move to the grill or oven for the final finish.

It's a little time consuming but plausible.

Matt

Norton, OH
Did they get all waxy and tallow coating your mouth as they cooled? That was my first and only experience with deer ribs.
I used the recipe from the MeatEater cookbook. I did three hours in the slow cooker with chicken broth, and then used their BBQ rub and sauce recipes and finished on the grill. The fat had the consistency of pork fat, and it tasted good too. I was expecting the waxy feel, but it wasn't like that at all.

Jamie

Ohio
sous vide squirrel saddles and backs, finished in the oven with home made shake-n-bake coating. high heat roasted cauliflower and fresh home made bread.

sous vide squirrel.JPG

say it with me, "sous vide cooking". :D it's awful hard to make an Eastern Fox squirrel this moist and tender short of pressure cooking. this was like eating fried chicken. sous vide is a whole new universe of cooking. next time I beer batter and deep fry some rat parts after 20 hours of sous vide.

Matt

Norton, OH
I used the recipe from the MeatEater cookbook. I did three hours in the slow cooker with chicken broth, and then used their BBQ rub and sauce recipes and finished on the grill. The fat had the consistency of pork fat, and it tasted good too. I was expecting the waxy feel, but it wasn't like that at all.
Took a pic of tonight's leftovers. Garlic parmesan pierogies and a Rheingeist Truth to wash er down.

20190122_185925.jpg