Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's For Dinner?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks @Jamie ! There’s always a ton of them down at my moms place in Carroll County... I just never realized they are edible, until now. I’m gonna have to give them a try!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I am smoking baby back ribs from Kroger’s tomorrow so I just rubbed em down. Going to do an experiment to see which of the 3 Private Selection flavors is best for ribs for our pallets here at home. The top is the Memphis, bottom is the Kansas City and the smaller on in middle on top of the Saran Wrap is the Texas. By the smell of each during the run down I’m guessing KC will be number 1 followed by Memphis then Texas. The Texas rub appeared to best suited for brisket with the amount of black pepper and cracked pepper in it but I wanted to give it a fair shot. There’s one guarantee tomorrow though, our patio out back will be smelling damn good with good tunes and beverages being sipped on.....😎👍🏻
53231E1D-C5F4-4238-8211-DD3387D5A145.jpeg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I am smoking baby back ribs from Kroger’s tomorrow so I just rubbed em down. Going to do an experiment to see which of the 3 Private Selection flavors is best for ribs for our pallets here at home. The top is the Memphis, bottom is the Kansas City and the smaller on in middle on top of the Saran Wrap is the Texas. By the smell of each during the run down I’m guessing KC will be number 1 followed by Memphis then Texas. The Texas rub appeared to best suited for brisket with the amount of black pepper and cracked pepper in it but I wanted to give it a fair shot. There’s one guarantee tomorrow though, our patio out back will be smelling damn good with good tunes and beverages being sipped on.....😎👍🏻
View attachment 100777

Smiling reading that!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
yes, home made alfredo sauce. super easy recipe. capers are really nice with sockeye salmon. I can post the recipe if anybody wants it. I've actually substituted grilled Chicken of the Woods for salmon in this recipe. was very good, too.

yes, there are other kinds of edible fern fiddleheads, but I don't know what they are, and as far as I know the only edible ones in these parts are from Ostrich ferns. I just received three books on foraging/identifying wild edibles from Samuel Thayer. I've barely gotten into the first one, but I love his approach and writing style. I'm going to learn a lot from these books, so when I get onto other edible ferns, I'll share. we have a bunch of Ostrich ferns here in flowerbeds, dug up about 20 more from a patch at my MIL's last spring. we'll probably be able to cut enough to eat a couple more times in the next week or so. they are growing really fast now.

they have a flavor all their own, really. very mild, but reminiscent of asparagus/spinach combined if that makes sense. I'd say they taste more like fresh spinach to me more than anything else, but better. not bitter like spinach is sometimes. I have to say that last nights batch with fresh garlic and browning the butter was my best rendition yet. I kind of over cooked my first batch, finished with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. I didn't really like it, neither did Nancy.
Can you share a pic here of what these edibles look like? Thanks in advanced...👍🏻

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This was at the 3 hour interval with nice bone/meat separation.
F0B9DA86-89F8-41C0-94B3-F4BF45BA67BC.jpeg

This was at 14:30. Washing cars during the 2 hour interval. Mixture for liquid/foil part was brown sugar,apple cider vinegar,melted butter, honey and mustard. Going to slather last hour smoke portion with Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce and sweet baby rays original.

Fletch

Supporting Member
No dinner pics from me... That chicken soup was made in a 16 at pot... So leftovers for a few days.. But I love chicken soup so I'll be ok with that... I think stew is on Tues. menu...

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jamie

Ohio
I don't think so. I would not eat those unless you know what they are, because I think they are not Ostrich ferns. those little grey hairs are not found on Ostrich ferns, and Ostrich ferns have a rather "U" shaped stem. kinda like a stalk of celery.