Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's For Dinner?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The end result ....

20200427_180812.jpg

There's more wings than that, but u get the jist. The flavor overall was different ,but at least it wasn't the same ol same ol.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Venison Pizzaiola tonight... Venison sliced in thin strips. Sauteed in olive oil, then added to onions,green peppers,mushrooms,jar of hot cherry peppers,can of crushed tomatoes,tomatoe sauce, simmered for 2 hrs. Served over white rice.. Followed up with my world renowned cheesecake.. Made one when I took Chad out to Illinois.. Guy had 3 pieces in one setting...

IMG_20200427_190616.jpg
IMG_20200427_193345.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
The keilbasi is tomorrow's dinner... While I was out looking for turkeys the wife made some wings... Not special TOO variety made on some fancy grill. She made them in just a regular oven... But damn they were finger licking good... Served with potatoes and onions... Yup I like my potatoes with a fair amt of pepper...
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200429194720430_COVER.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
View attachment 100730salmon alfredo with capers, chives, and lemon zest. fiddleheads sautéed in browned butter with a little fresh garlic. a nice pairing.
That looks flat-out delicious, Jamie. Homemade alfredo sauce I assume?

Regarding the fiddleheads, are there different "varieties" of fiddleheads? Is one better than another? And what do they taste like?... I've never tried them.

Jamie

Ohio
That looks flat-out delicious, Jamie. Homemade alfredo sauce I assume?

Regarding the fiddleheads, are there different "varieties" of fiddleheads? Is one better than another? And what do they taste like?... I've never tried them.

yes, home made alfredo sauce. super easy recipe. capers are really nice with sockeye salmon. I can post the recipe if anybody wants it. I've actually substituted grilled Chicken of the Woods for salmon in this recipe. was very good, too.

yes, there are other kinds of edible fern fiddleheads, but I don't know what they are, and as far as I know the only edible ones in these parts are from Ostrich ferns. I just received three books on foraging/identifying wild edibles from Samuel Thayer. I've barely gotten into the first one, but I love his approach and writing style. I'm going to learn a lot from these books, so when I get onto other edible ferns, I'll share. we have a bunch of Ostrich ferns here in flowerbeds, dug up about 20 more from a patch at my MIL's last spring. we'll probably be able to cut enough to eat a couple more times in the next week or so. they are growing really fast now.

they have a flavor all their own, really. very mild, but reminiscent of asparagus/spinach combined if that makes sense. I'd say they taste more like fresh spinach to me more than anything else, but better. not bitter like spinach is sometimes. I have to say that last nights batch with fresh garlic and browning the butter was my best rendition yet. I kind of over cooked my first batch, finished with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. I didn't really like it, neither did Nancy.