Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's For Dinner?

On Thursday, my little girl wanted me to teach her how to cook a steak so that she could cook for her grandparents Friday night. I gave her a slab of deer loin and she cut them into steaks for the pan. She made us a steak rub that I normally blend and gave them a good dusting. In the cast iron for a minute and a half or so on each side for a beautiful medium rare. She finished them with a little butter and doctored us up some canned baked beans. Excellent!!
She also wanted to help with supper. We had a big ol meat bird from our farm thawed out so I coached her again. She coated the chicken good with olive oil and then gave it a healthy dusting of our chicken rub that we made. Fresh garlic and lemon in the cavity. She also coated some potatoes in olive oil to throw in the pan. We coated a big cast iron pan with bacon grease before adding the bird and potatoes. I did help her with it in and out of the oven. It was a little more than she was comfortable trying to handle. She shucked us some corn and boiled it while the bird was roasting. Baked her at about 395 till done and my goodness what a fantastic bird. She is going to be a heck of a cook!!!
1000017849.jpg
1000017848.jpg
1000017850.jpg
1000017851.jpg
1000017852.jpg
1000017853.jpg

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Herbs de Provence crusted beef tenderloin with garlic parmesan mashed potatoes and grilled avocado, tomato, red onion salad.

View attachment 195755
How does herbs de Provence do with beef? I really enjoy it on chicken and pork but haven't tried beef yet, more a SPG guy on steaks
View attachment 195758

Smoked some drumsticks. Went with Cole slaw, baked beans and corn on the cob
How well do those drumstick holders work? how hard to spread sauce on them?

Reactions: Dustinb80

Jamie

Ohio
How does herbs de Provence do with beef? I really enjoy it on chicken and pork but haven't tried beef yet, more a SPG guy on steaks

How well do those drumstick holders work? how hard to spread sauce on them?
I like it, but it is a different experience on beef for sure. This was a center cut tenderloin roast that I cut from a whole beef tenderloin, cooked with charcoal and cherry wood, indirect heat. Not shown in the picture was a horseradish and dill sauce (mayo and sour cream based) that really played will with the Herbs de Provence. I'll go a little easier on the seasoning and the smoke next time, but it was really quite good. I was very surprised how smoky it got only being on the grill for about 40 minutes before hitting 125* I'll probably use the pellet smoker set at about 350* next time as I have another roast to use.

The horseradish dill sauce was killer on brisket, too.

Reactions: Hedgelj

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
View attachment 196073View attachment 196074
Cooked my wife some peppers and eggs, sausage and hash browns for breakfast on the black stone then followed it up with two pork loins on the Traeger. Retirement life is good!👍
We did a pork loin a couple weeks ago, we bought two more for the near future. They turned out great on the traeger….
With just the two of us, we cut them both in half and will have 4 separate meals. Vacuum packed them for future use.