Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's good TOO?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm going to consider this a cup-half-full situation even though the cup seems bone dry at the minute!

I've completed 7 of 10 courses for my masters and am in the final hour of #8, which is my capstone. I'm a procrastinator by nature. It's a character flaw, but also how I do my best work. Case in point, this capstone. We started January 7th and everything is due by 11:59P on Friday. We leave for Paint Creek tomorrow. As of Sunday morning at 8A, I had only completed my first draft of a 10-page Project Charter. So on Sunday, I spent two hours refining it to final form, then another 10 creating a 12-page (34 with appendices) Project Management Plan. Last night, another 5 hours writing a 5-page (single-spaced) Executive Report on my project. Today, I took the day off to write a 20-30 page "academic" paper on my project and I still have to create a 15-20 slide PowerPoint with voiceover to pitch my project. Son........

What's TOO good? I'm gonna power through it and enjoy the weekend with the boys after rolling over the 80% complete mark! I have two more back-to-back 7-week courses starting on Monday and if all goes well, I'll be done the first week of August. After 22 months, I'll be ready to shed myself of this and get my weekends back! I'll have spent close to 100 Sundays locked in my office grinding this baby out 🥴

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm going to consider this a cup-half-full situation even though the cup seems bone dry at the minute!

I've completed 7 of 10 courses for my masters and am in the final hour of #8, which is my capstone. I'm a procrastinator by nature. It's a character flaw, but also how I do my best work. Case in point, this capstone. We started January 7th and everything is due by 11:59P on Friday. We leave for Paint Creek tomorrow. As of Sunday morning at 8A, I had only completed my first draft of a 10-page Project Charter. So on Sunday, I spent two hours refining it to final form, then another 10 creating a 12-page (34 with appendices) Project Management Plan. Last night, another 5 hours writing a 5-page (single-spaced) Executive Report on my project. Today, I took the day off to write a 20-30 page "academic" paper on my project and I still have to create a 15-20 slide PowerPoint with voiceover to pitch my project. Son........

What's TOO good? I'm gonna power through it and enjoy the weekend with the boys after rolling over the 80% complete mark! I have two more back-to-back 7-week courses starting on Monday and if all goes well, I'll be done the first week of August. After 22 months, I'll be ready to shed myself of this and get my weekends back! I'll have spent close to 100 Sundays locked in my office grinding this baby out 🥴
Wow Jesse!!!! Great determination and fortitude getting all that done in such a short time period.
Enjoy celebrating and the time there at Paint Creek with the TOO family and yours.👍🏻👊🏻

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My home school district has been holding "Outdoor Ed" for over 40 years at our county's 4-H camp. I attended in '97 and it was the first time I'd ever used a turkey call of any kind. The guy who taught the class on turkey hunting (there was an NWTF rep there today also) gave me a mouth call that got me kicked out of English class the following week! 😂

The teacher in charge nowadays is someone I grew up a few years behind in school and her two daughters are friends with two of our daughters. She hit me up in the fall about teaching a class and I agreed to do a wild game cooking class, and today was the day.

I got home at 8P last night without a plan, but a few beers and hot shower helped me come up with a plan and it ultimately went really well. I fed them duck pastrami and venison summer sausage as appetizers while we cooked steak and straps a few different ways, and a snagged some South Dakota pheasants from our babysitter. I also let each group season up 5#s of jerky that I'll finish off and have the coordinator of everything deliver it to them at school next week. The duck pastrami is pretty spicy and I was blown away how popular it was. I ended up with 4 classes with 44 total 8th graders. It was really rewarding and the feedback was better than expected.

And I'll say this, in this woke era, all 44 of those kids (boys and girls) gives me hope for the future and reminds me why I still live in my hometown. Of the 44, 35 had eaten something they'd shot or caught and the other 9 were hoping to join their ranks. One young man wanted to take the class to learn "life skills". Overall, a solid day of giving back and representing our pursuits in a positive manner.

1000007976.jpg

1000007955.jpg

1000007961.jpg

1000007978.jpg

Last edited:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
My home school district has been holding "Outdoor Ed" for over 40 years at our county's 4-H camp. I attended in '97 and it was the first time I'd ever used a turkey call of any kind. The guy who taught the class on turkey hunting (there was an NWTF rep there today also) gave me a mouth call that got me kicked out of English class the following week! 😂

The teacher in charge nowadays is someone I grew up a few years behind in school and her two daughters are friends with two of our daughters. She hit me up in the fall about teaching a class and I agreed to do a wild game cooking class, and today was the day.

I got home at 8P last night without a plan, but a few beers and hot shower helped me come up with a plan and it ultimately went really well. I fed them duck pastrami and venison summer sausage as appetizers while we cooked steak and straps a few different ways, and a snagged some South Dakota pheasants from our babysitter. The duck pastrami is pretty spicy and I was blown away how popular it was. I ended up with 4 classes with 44 total 8th graders. It was really rewarding and the feedback was better than expected.

And I'll say this, in this woke era, all 44 of those kids (boys and girls) gives me hope for the future and reminds me why I still live in my hometown. Of the 44, 35 had eaten something they'd shot or caught and the other 9 were hoping to join their ranks. One young man wanted to take the class to learn "life skills". Overall, a solid day of giving back and representing our pursuits in a positive manner.

View attachment 194232

View attachment 194227

View attachment 194228

View attachment 194235
Awesome Jesse.

Most of you guys are aware that I belong to The Fairfield Optimist Club. We are a youth services club. We host soccer tournaments, sponsor local baseball groups, adopt less fortunate kids for Xmas, etc. Last week we hosted our annual Butler County MRDD fishing derby for local handicap kids. We had 250 kids, plus 250 seniors from the local HS to help those kids. It's a huge hit every year.

Last night we gave out $11,500.00 in college scholarships to 5 local seniors.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Great weekend. I hit the road Friday around noon. Headed north to see some of my TOO family. Got to @Bigcountry40 Jons house around 3. I got to meet his twins boys, Bo and Liam and his daughter Sawyer along with his wife Ashley. Great family. Ashley made us some home made guacamole and salsa. Then we had burgers for dinner. Jon started a fire and the beers flowed until around 1:30 in the morning. Crawled into the bed of my truck and crashed until about 10:00 Saturday morning.

Around 12:30 or so I hit the road and headed to @giles moms house to join their celebration of life for his sister Anna. Huge turnout. @Mike and his wife showed up and @Bigcountry40 ventured in as well. After they left I was all by myself, assuming that by then Dave was couch surfing since I hadnt seen him in a while. The rain was about to set in around 8:30 so I headed for cover in my truck. Chilled in there for a few hours listening to it rain and chugging more beers.

Woke up at 7:00 and headed east to meet up with @5Cent at his house for coffee. Visited with him and his 3 boys for a while then hit the road and headed back home.

I do love this family. No matter where I go in the state, someone is nearby. One hell of a weekend.

My accomodations:

1717413821179.png

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We married off our first born yesterday. She was a beautiful bride. My wife and daughter put in so much work to make it happen. Lots of friends and family members pitched in to help. I've heard astronomical numbers for weddings before. Our budget didn't allow that so they did a lot themselves. Centerpieces, tablecloths, bargain shopping, etc. Appetizers and desserts in house. I know people who have spent 2-3-4x as much and it paled in comparison to how this turned out. I realize I'm biased, but it was better than a million dollar wedding and reception to me. The wedding party pitched in from 8am set up at the reception hall until after midnight when we left the building. They had a ball. Literally 3/4 of the guests on the dance floor from the time the DJ started until he quit. He said had never had a wedding so engaged. He is a friend of the family and has done this 30+ years. He was impressed. Goes to show the friends they have and the love everyone has for these newlyweds. I didn't hear an exact total but of the 250-300 invites and I think they said over 200 showed up. Overwhelming show of love and celebration for our daughter and son in law. I'm a blessed man.

1000008365.jpg
1000008373.jpg

P8riot

Carbon, In
Looks awesome! How did you guys not drive on it in 3 months while being so far from the access road?
Well, the whole process took 3 months. I filled cracks and patched some very rough alligatoring and the edges that were crumbling. I also used the PliStix to fill very large gaps between the asphalt and sidewalks and garage aprons. A long tedious process. Not driving on it was only 24-48 hours at a time while the patch or sealant was drying in that section. I mean I did have 160 hours into it, but that's also why it took so long. The wife has to go to work so I couldn't do it during some weekdays and working around the weather.

I live right off of a highway so there's no on street parking and the only other access I have is an old overgrown logging road. I desperately need to clear that this fall!

I took my time and tried to do it right to save what I have. $40,000+ isn't in the budget to repave 500' of asphalt.

Next is digging a french drain around the house and spreading probably 40 ton of gravel around the house and buildings. So the gravel trucks can break up all my hard work! Good grief it never ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outdoorsfellar

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Well, the whole process took 3 months. I filled cracks and patched some very rough alligatoring and the edges that were crumbling. I also used the PliStix to fill very large gaps between the asphalt and sidewalks and garage aprons. A long tedious process. Not driving on it was only 24-48 hours at a time while the patch or sealant was drying in that section. I mean I did have 160 hours into it, but that's also why it took so long. The wife has to go to work so I couldn't do it during some weekdays and working around the weather.

I live right off of a highway so there's no on street parking and the only other access I have is an old overgrown logging road. I desperately need to clear that this fall!

I took my time and tried to do it right to save what I have. $40,000+ isn't in the budget to repave 500' of asphalt.

Next is digging a french drain around the house and spreading probably 40 ton of gravel around the house and buildings. So the gravel trucks can break up all my hard work! Good grief it never ends.
I wish I was retired.

Reactions: GoetsTalon

P8riot

Carbon, In
I wish I was retired.
I'm 42 😉 I work a full time job as well. From home though. But, most times more than 40 hours a week. I have been using my vacation time to take Fridays off. I use them to have 3 straight days for work around the house. I haven't had a real vacation in years. I keep track of what I do in a calendar because a lot of times I have to reference when I had done something. For the last 1.5 years I actually write "Relaxed" in there if I didn't do something, because it is an oddity these days!

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm 42 😉 I work a full time job as well. From home though. But, most times more than 40 hours a week. I have been using my vacation time to take Fridays off. I use them to have 3 straight days for work around the house. I haven't had a real vacation in years. I keep track of what I do in a calendar because a lot of times I have to reference when I had done something. For the last 1.5 years I actually write "Relaxed" in there if I didn't do something, because it is an oddity these days!
I was kiddin' ya. Kicking ass!