Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's good TOO?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Wife , I & another couple are somewhere in Hocking Hills for the weekend. If you don't hear from me ever again, I'm probably buried off of a cliff in the the S.Bloomingville area ...lol

20240920_145340.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I can't remember if I posted this one here but we are going to be grandparents in January! My middle son and his wife are expecting a boy! The Showalter name lives on. View attachment 199714
Congratulations too your boy and his wife. Being a grandparent is an awesome adventure.
As a grandfather, you have the opportunity to be a great mentor too the young man. They truly look up to their grandfathers!

Stressless

Keene, OH
Lineman staging in Pensacola, FL yesterday in preparation of the incoming Hurricane Helene.

We get LE and military feels all the time but these heroes, especially down here along the coast, are revered.

So many newbies with gensets making their dangerous restoration efforts even more treacherous.

When the convoys head out tonight or tomorrow AM with surge waters still abating they'll get horns and high fives, fist pumps and mahalo's 🤙.

Then they go into the disaster.

FB_IMG_1727357118642.jpg

15'-20' storm surge across Florida's Big Bend....
092336_peak_surge.png

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
That does seem odd, but to me, more exactly that is straight up ignorance and just plain foolish if you want good table fare. Love your set up.👍🏻
Ive never field dressed a deer in my life. Of course I've never had to pack one out either. I will drag it out to where the ATV can get it. Haul it back to the skinning rack and skin it. Will pull the straps, tenderloins, front shoulders, rib meat and neck meat. Then drop the ribcage into a recycle tote with the guts still inside. Split the pelvis and drop the hams into the cooler. From what I can tell, its never caused any issue in terms of quality. Why mess with the guts if you don't have to?

FWIW, the deer in NC are, in general, smaller than the ones up here and are easier to drag out.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Haven't been able to catch my breath, but we got the cooler open for bow season. Man it's been wild but I love it. Took in #89 last night to close out day 14 of the season. It's going to be wide open come gun season!!! I hope everyone is doing well and i wish you guys a safe and successful season!View attachment 199991View attachment 199992View attachment 199993View attachment 199994View attachment 199995View attachment 199996View attachment 199997View attachment 199998
What vacuum sealer do you use?

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Ive never field dressed a deer in my life. Of course I've never had to pack one out either. I will drag it out to where the ATV can get it. Haul it back to the skinning rack and skin it. Will pull the straps, tenderloins, front shoulders, rib meat and neck meat. Then drop the ribcage into a recycle tote with the guts still inside. Split the pelvis and drop the hams into the cooler. From what I can tell, its never caused any issue in terms of quality. Why mess with the guts if you don't have to?

FWIW, the deer in NC are, in general, smaller than the ones up here and are easier to drag out.
How do you get to the inner loins of you don’t open up the chest cavity?

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
How do you get to the inner loins of you don’t open up the chest cavity?
You can get to it several ways. Here is one way. I essentially follow the suitcase or gutless method but with the deer hanging.

I completely understand the cultural differences between areas. I was taught the only reason to field dress is to lighten the load for the drag. I really hate getting leaves and dirt inside the cavity.

Last edited:

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
You can get to it several ways. Here is one way. I essentially follow the suitcase or gutless method but with the deer hanging.

I completely understand the cultural differences between areas. I was taught the only reason to field dress is to lighten the load for the drag. I really hate getting leaves and dirt inside the cavity.

Wow! That’s a lot of extra work. I see your point about getting debris in the body cavity. I bring my deer out of the woods whole and gut them near my truck. This helps keep out the debris. It also keeps the gut pile away from my stand so as to not attract coyotes. I had no idea that some areas of the country don’t field dress their deer.