Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's in your cup?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Question for you sippers of bourbons. Is it as crazy in your area to find certain brands because of competition of bourbon fans as it is here in the Cincy area? I wonder if just being close to many KY distillers is the reason or if there’s just a lot of huge enthusiasts in this area. There’s people that will literally stand in line for hours after putting in there name on a list to get a bottle or two of certain brands of real hard to find bourbons. Blanton’s, Rare Eagle, Wellers Red or Green, Rare Breed wheated, EH Taylor and several other ones are really hard to find. There might only be a few bottles or a case per each store and as soon as it gets shipped there it’s gone in a few minutes. Is this standard in all areas of Ohio? Today my BIL called me and said, If you can get to this store by 4:30 tonight you can get a bottle of Wellers Red and Green. I managed to be there and whalla, made the score but it was crazy seeing the madhouse of people pulling in after I got there and when I left. It’s like a craze down here right now that I didn’t know about. Y’all experiencing the same in your area?

Here’s my take after just waiting 15 minutes tonight.
E4C35289-9695-4D02-B055-D8C657EB4770.jpeg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Question for you sippers of bourbons. Is it as crazy in your area to find certain brands because of competition of bourbon fans as it is here in the Cincy area? I wonder if just being close to many KY distillers is the reason or if there’s just a lot of huge enthusiasts in this area. There’s people that will literally stand in line for hours after putting in there name on a list to get a bottle or two of certain brands of real hard to find bourbons. Blanton’s, Rare Eagle, Wellers Red or Green, Rare Breed wheated and several other ones are really hard to find. There might only be a few bottles or a case per each store and as soon as it gets shipped there it’s gone in a few minutes. Is this standard in all areas of Ohio? Today my BIL called me and said, If you can get to this store by 4:30 tonight you can get a bottle of Wellers Red and Green. I managed to be there and whalla, made the score but it was crazy seeing the madhouse of people pulling in after I got there and when I left. It’s like a craze down here right now that I didn’t know about. Y’all experiencing the same in your area?

View attachment 146584
Been like that for at least a year and a half. Blantons used to be $30 a bottle two years ago…now it’s $75-100….that’s IF you can find it. The main liquor store I go to told me that the distributor must be leaking the info to other people because as soon as he gets a couple of bottles in, there will be about two dozen people coming in and asking specifically for it within the hour. Maybe we could start a thread with hard to find bourbons and what you’d pay for it. Then others could look in their area. Something that’s hard to get in your area may be more common in another…and vise versa.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
States are a joke when they limit sales only too a few outlets. Ration out what they order and say who can sell what…. Should be over the counter like beer or wine…. Let the shortages be what distillers can’t keep up with…

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
BIL said one liquor store received a case of Blantons but some local upscale restaurant with bar was allocated all but 2-3 bottles of it and the peons fought over the spoils. Happens a lot I guess.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Question for you sippers of bourbons. Is it as crazy in your area to find certain brands because of competition of bourbon fans as it is here in the Cincy area? I wonder if just being close to many KY distillers is the reason or if there’s just a lot of huge enthusiasts in this area. There’s people that will literally stand in line for hours after putting in there name on a list to get a bottle or two of certain brands of real hard to find bourbons. Blanton’s, Rare Eagle, Wellers Red or Green, Rare Breed wheated, EH Taylor and several other ones are really hard to find. There might only be a few bottles or a case per each store and as soon as it gets shipped there it’s gone in a few minutes. Is this standard in all areas of Ohio? Today my BIL called me and said, If you can get to this store by 4:30 tonight you can get a bottle of Wellers Red and Green. I managed to be there and whalla, made the score but it was crazy seeing the madhouse of people pulling in after I got there and when I left. It’s like a craze down here right now that I didn’t know about. Y’all experiencing the same in your area?

View attachment 146584
Yes it’s like that everywhere. A lot of stores around here will do their bourbon releases at 9:00 on Saturday mornings. Others on fridays or whatever days they get there shipments. They typically don’t hold anything back and just put out what they have. First come, first served. Lines typically aren’t horrible but can be at times. Bad weather days are usually the best days to go 😅. Another thing I’ve noticed is regional availability of certain products. When I go out to CA every year they have Buffalo Trace available in abundance in every store. I usually come back with a couple bottles of that and Eagle Rare and whatever other random bottle I find that’s not typically readily available around here. This year I grabbed a bottle of Sazerac Rye and a Elijah Craig barrel proof. Both are nearly impossible to find here. I enjoy scavenging around looking for “rare” bottles when I travel.