Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's new?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I decided not to buy a new bow this year for a few reasons, but moreso because I haven't done what I said I would do before I bought a new one: kill a OBB with that bow. I know the XT will kill deer and I'm learning to satisfy less of my wants, so buying a new bow just to get a new bow is out of the question for me. Now if I shoot an OBB this fall, I'll soon forget that mantra and buy a new bow! rotflmao

I have my Stan back at their facilities right now having it checked over and "tuned" up after it laid under the snow for three months! That was the number one priority to tackle before I could shoot again! I also have a new set of 452x strings/cables from Extreme Bow Strings that are all black and Greg is making me an all black sling, so those should be changed in a week or so. Those were the comestic changes for the year.

The biggest change this year will be in arrows and fletching. I'm going to switch to the Flatlines and the new Fusion vanes from Norway. My 28" 340 Axis, Blazer, white wrap combo, Slick Trick Magnum arrows weighed in at 431 grains and flew around 270 fps. I'll keep the white wraps and ST Mags; change to the 2.1" Fusion in all white; and build a 28.5" 340 Flatline that weighs in around 380 grains. I checked my FOC and all should be well on that front. My expectation is to hit the 285-290 fps range with this set up, giving me a KE of roughly 68.5-70 ft/lbs. The current arrow hits with 69.78 ft/lbs. I'm switching in an effort to get a flatter shooting arrow that still hits like a pissed off hornet. I still think a 380 grain arrow with the ST Magnum is plenty to do the job with the efficiency I've come to expect from my old set up. Plus, I love to tinker! :smiley_coolpeace: I'm excited to see how things turn out. After seeing the toughness of the Flatlines shooting Gregs arrows, I'm confident they're just as tough as the Axis and a little speed never hurt anyone as long as it still hits hard!!!

What changes are ahead for you fellers?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I really haven't been planning on upgrading any of my archery gear. Last summer I went crazy with it, so I should be set for a while on that front lol. Seeing all the new model treestands out there has me thinking hard, though. I keep telling myself that one of these seasons I'm going to try out the climbing stick/hang-on mobile combo, but I just haven't had the motivation to pull the trigger on that. Having neither climbing sticks or a lightweight, quality hang-on, that would be a solid chunk of change to give it a shot. Oh and the other day, I got the new Rivers West catalog in the mail... There's something to be said for quality hunting apparel, so I've been looking hard at that catalog lately, too.

Huckleberry Finn

Do repairs count?

I shot my bow over Easter and the sight fell off..literally. Need 2 new screws. I plan on having someone wiser than me look over the whole thing before I start practicing this year and shooting 3d, might need to put a new string on it. I don't really plan on changing anything, I'm going to practice the hell out of it and kill a damn deer wit my bow and then go from there. I try not to drool over new or newer bows...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I want to purchase the new G5 Halo quiver to replace last years model. I also want a single Muddy stick to use at the top of my LW sticks and a Muddy hang-on to use for filming. Other than that, my setup is staying the same. May purchase a different Under Armour Jacket for cold weather hunting. I like the one I have now, but it is kind of noisy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I really haven't been planning on upgrading any of my archery gear. Last summer I went crazy with it, so I should be set for a while on that front lol. Seeing all the new model treestands out there has me thinking hard, though. I keep telling myself that one of these seasons I'm going to try out the climbing stick/hang-on mobile combo, but I just haven't had the motivation to pull the trigger on that. Having neither climbing sticks or a lightweight, quality hang-on, that would be a solid chunk of change to give it a shot. Oh and the other day, I got the new Rivers West catalog in the mail... There's something to be said for quality hunting apparel, so I've been looking hard at that catalog lately, too.

I heard there is a guy selling some pretty slick Rivers Edge climbing sticks around here somewhere? lol

I am changing nothing on my setup. Moving some stands. Changing some strategies. Probably won't shoot as much as I would like to, but hope to shoot more this year. I am ready to do some killing! I have 2 years in archery and if it is working, then I am not changing anything. I did buy a Muddy Camera Arm with my buddy and we hope to do some more filming this year.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Not much change for me this year. I made sure I made all my big purchases before September last year (married on the 4th) so I hope to be set for awhile. Only thing I have in the plans is to replace two ladder stands that I've had up for about 7 years, with a couple of hang on stands. My main spot only has two permission slips signed, me and one other guy. Great aunt owns the land, the other guy is a complete douche. He admittedly shot 2 deer out of my stand, without even asking if he could hunt them. Honestly, he has his head on his shoulder about deer management and we are on the same page and I would have probably let him hunt those two setups as I designate those as stands I put my dad and brother in on their half a dozen trips to the woods a season, but the fact that he didn't ask and then bragged to me about the kills and offered to buy my stands off me put the nail in the coffin for our relationship. Ladder stands pulled, hopefully replacing them with hang ons,
and unless he has a 20ft climbing stick he's gonna have to do his own homework.

Outside of that minor stand setup change, I'm sticking with my guns and flying just like I was at the end of season last year. Everything was smooth, everything was efficient, I want to head to the woods this fall just like I left this winter.... damn I wish it was September!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm pretty well set after buying my Mathews Drenalin LD last year. I have new target and hunting arrows TOO! Just need TOO make time to start shooting more and break in my new Glen Del deer target! I'm all set!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
My biggest change this year will be learning how to shoot with a release instead of fingers, now that I got a modern bow. I shot some arrows yesterday between raindrops and can say it will take some time to change old habits. Right now it is awkward.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Good thing you got a bowtech, adding a release to the equation will change your draw length. It's easy to adjust the DL on those, so you can fine tune and see what is comfortable for you.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I heard there is a guy selling some pretty slick Rivers Edge climbing sticks around here somewhere? lol

I am changing nothing on my setup. Moving some stands. Changing some strategies. Probably won't shoot as much as I would like to, but hope to shoot more this year. I am ready to do some killing! I have 2 years in archery and if it is working, then I am not changing anything. I did buy a Muddy Camera Arm with my buddy and we hope to do some more filming this year.

LOL... Don't worry, Phil, I haven't forgotten. :smiley_bril:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I dont think there is a chance anybody could be more broke than I am. and I dont see any relief in the near future. I Have to get some new boots before season, my rubber boots have holes in them and leak, and the soles came off of my insulated boots. cant do jack right now but maybe in a couple months I can look for something cheap.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
it all stays the same here with the bow , might change i mean add some stands

Me too. I will be adding a few more fixed stands for more stealth entry into a couple places. I am going to look up the guy on here selling stands.rotflmao

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
moslt likley all I will be getting this year is some Lumenoks, new arrows, and some new rubber boots since mine are all dry rotted and getting craks/holes in them.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I've been putting a lot of thought into upgrades this year. Sometimes probably too much thought. I think I'm back to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. So, without breaking the back, I'll be upgrading some specific things bow hunting related in order to try and get the most out of my bow.

First thing that money will be spent on this week is I'll be adding a string suppressor to my bow in order to try and quiet it down some. Since lightening up my arrows a few seasons back in order to gain speed I've had to live with a slightly louder bow. Hopefully the suppressor will correct that.

Second thing is moving to a slightly heavier arrow, while also increasing my draw weight as long as I'm still at a comfortable weight. The thought behind it all is to either maintain or increase speed by upping my draw weight, while increasing arrow penetration with a heavier arrow.

Third on the list is moving from a mechanical broadhead to a fixed blade. Again, the main thought behind the switch goes back to penetration. While no matter what broadhead is on the end of an arrow shot placement is everything, in most all cases two holes in a deer are better than one. My last two deer taken dropped within sight, but I didn't get a complete pass through. That sticks in my head a bit. Plus the lingering thought that a mechanical can fail. A fixed blade always opens.

There's more on my mind for upgrades, but that's the top 3 things right now.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
So far I have added a Roscoby Riser Cam, Lumenoks, and switched up from Muzzy's to Rage 2 blades. Plan on getting a new quiver, and contemplating new strings.

Like Wayne, I think I need to get a new pair of boots as well.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Well I have made some changes for this upcoming year, most expensive was the new Pearson Legend, also changed arrows to Harvest Time HT1 arrows, which is gonna require a new quiver because of the smaller diameter of the new ones, but the most exciting change is that I got permission to hunt a new 250 acre farm, and the best is that I will be the only one with a permission slip for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for September!!!