Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your Expertise

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I consider myself to be a Jack of all Trades, Master of None kind of guy.

Archery shooting/tuning
Deer Hunting
Waterfowl Hunting
Fishing - freshwater
Lure/tackle building
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Drawing/Designing
... maybe a few other things

By trade I'm a public health inspector that specializes is Sewage and Private Water Systems, as well as mosquito control. So if anyone has questions pertaining to septic systems, wells, cisterns and the like, I can probably help you out.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Dang. I have a number of interests and generally a DIYer but I can't say I've mastered anything. ( aside from doing without)
I have a passion for all types and seasons of hunting in this part of the country, I enjoy photography, love wilderness back-packing/survival. I got on a rustic furniture kick for a year or TOO, raced and played w/ late model motors in the muscle car days. I fish to kill time till hunting season.

By trade spent 8 years as a realtor and did sales and mfg. of cultured marble in Florida. (Not counting the last 2 years) I spent 17 years as a mortgage loan officer of which the last 7 were as a co-owner of a mortgage co.

When my daughters were little, I could fix anything.:smiley_baby: (I know cause they told me so. Now at 18 and 22, I don't even know what half their shit is or what it does...)

My wife tells me I have become the "fixer":smiley_chinrub:
O! I know something else. I have become quite good at spinning plates. Ya know that guy on stage with the sticks and he keeps dashing back and forth giving that wobbly plate another wiggle so the plate can keep spinning a little longer... O ya... I got me a whole stage of them fu*ken plates spinning and the music is playen faster an faster... I tell ya. If someone walks out on that stage with one more plate and stick...:tantrum:

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Pissing my wife off.... that's pretty much it.

I do a bunch of other stuff to try and keep me from pissing her off too much, but even those things I do piss her off becasue I do them to excess in her opinion. Women, can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Would she say you are a cunning linguist?

rotflmao

Maybe. She says I am pretty good at cunnilingus too!

(IF you are ever bored and trying to figure out how to spell it, just google "Slang eating out" and you will be surprised at how many choices there are)rotflmao

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I TOO am a Jack of many trades and have only mastered a couple of them. I could say that I know furnaces and air conditioners pretty well. I can do plumbing all right (if I have TOO). Working with furnaces and A/C had given me a pretty well rounded knowledge of electricity and many other things to do with the home.

Other things I like to do but am no expert in is deer hunting archery and have really taken a liking to fly fishing.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I consider myself a jack of alot of trades. I remodeled a 100 year old farm house inside and out for about 5 years, so I learned something about drywalling, electricity, flooring, carpentry, plumbing, roofing etc. I'm also not afraid to cut down trees and work on equipment and vehicles.

My specialty is surveying and designing structures, writing legal descriptions and computer drafting, bowhunting, baseball and golf.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I consider myself a jack of alot of trades. I remodeled a 100 year old farm house inside and out for about 5 years, so I learned something about drywalling, electricity, flooring, carpentry, plumbing, roofing etc. I'm also not afraid to cut down trees and work on equipment and vehicles.

My specialty is surveying and designing structures, writing legal descriptions and computer drafting, bowhunting, baseball and golf.

We're much the same. I remodeled the house I'm in now. Did everything from the electrical, plumbing, drywall, closets, tile, flooring, crown molding, skylight etc. I even did a couple carpentry built ins.(Two "in-wall" book cases 8'x15' total. Bifold door shoe rack, cedar coat closet, and two closet organizers.) They all turned out really nice. I think i catch on to things really fast, one of my strengths in IT also..

Take this forum for instance. I knew nothing of web servers, Vbulletin, Domain name servers, email, etc.. But here we are. Granted it took me thousands of hours and was basically another full time job. But it's to the point now where i only have to work on things i want to do as extra features, not things i HAVE to do or shit don't work. lol..

I also turn my own wrenches on my truck. I think an oil change place has only changed my oil once in my entire life. After they were done I looked under and told them to wipe the damn oil off my crossmember.. lol.. I like shit done right. Speaking of doing things right.. I guess there is a reason I'm still screwing my exs, must be doing something right there too. ;)

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I like to hunt, fish, and love my wife.
In order to support these habits I work in plastic distribution sales/mgmt. Been in the industry since '88, worked my way up from the shop floor.
Learning about machining and fabrication really gave me an advantage when I moved into sales. I can pretty much make anything I can sell (as long as it doesn't require detailed CNC machining - I can run manual milling machines and lathes, but moved to sales before learning programming.) There are always others who are better than you at certain things. But I can say with confidence that I'm pretty damned good in my industry.

Prior to that I've done some time in the restaurant industry, and military before that. Worked as a hod-carrier for a bricklayer while I was in high school, and also worked side by side with my dad to build a house while I was a freshman. I learned the basics of pretty much everything - foundation, framing, finishing, how electric and plumbing works, the whole shebang. Great experience. But not an expert at any of it by any means.

I have on purpose avoided a narrow focus that would make me an expert at anything, and tried to learn a little bit about as much as I can in order to be a well-rounded person.

When I grow up I'll let you know how that works out for me.

One thing I will say that I'm pretty good at is "instructing". I'm pretty patient and have a talent for sharing knowledge/information and teaching others tasks and making sure they understand by putting things into context. Got a couple of written commendations for this while in the military and that talent is what really put me on the map in my plastics career. I used to think that I'd like to be a public school teacher, but having seen the bullshit that they have to put up with, now I say no thanks. I'll stick to teaching adults and customers.

Last edited: