Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your favorite gun in your collection?

Glen

I love mine all equally well. But I do tend to gravitate towards the Marlin 17HMR a lot. Then there is a tough choice to make for the 2nd rig when I'm out groundhoggin between the 221FireBall & the 204. But I truly enjoy the fact that I have these troublesome decisions to make when it's time to busta hog.

I'd have to say my favorite gun in my collection is my browning goldhunter. All synthetic, all camo. I use it for almost everything; waterfowl, turkey, dove. Great gun and it's only failed once. I had been goose hunting hard for a week in the snow and laying in a ground blind. It would only shoot the first round and wouldn't completely cycle the second shell in. After taking it apart I found a husk of a cornstalk folded in half down on top of he trigger assembly. After getting it out and giving it a good cleaning I never had another problem.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Though I have killed the most with my 870's, I think for me it is my Remington Model 700 30 06. Just love shooting that thing. My new TC Triumph Bone Collector will be considered as I dial it in this summer, but for now it is the 30 06.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Though I have killed the most with my 870's, I think for me it is my Remington Model 700 30 06. Just love shooting that thing. My new TC Triumph Bone Collector will be considered as I dial it in this summer, but for now it is the 30 06.

Yeah, I really like shooting my Knight Wolverine, feels good shooting it and handling it, and I've even got the cleaning sequence down and enjoy the whole experience alot. But I haven't got it quite dialed in and consistent and it can be a bit frustrating. But once I get it down, I think it'll displace the 10/22.

Or maybe not.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Dan/huntn2- I do REALLy like my Omega. While it feels good in the hand, shoots well, and is a good looking muzzle loader, I just can't say it is my favorite. Do I look forward to shooting it, and hope to get some blood on it? You betcha! I don't know if you guys will end up saying "favorite" though. Maybe it is a muzzle loader thing? Some guys just love them. I like the season, like the gun, but to say "favorite" is going to be a tough one. Although I can't hunt deer with my 243 and really don't have a ton of uses for it other than coyotes, it is right up there in my top 3 though. Crazy how something we can't hunt with can be a front runner.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Danny pick up a can of Blackhorn 209. I think you'll like it.

I was shooting Select while shooting loose powder now I'm lazy and shoot the pellets and 100 grain.... The 90 grain Select held the tightest grouping with the Knight 245 grain sabots....
Now looking to fine tune the .243... Just bought the 58 grain Ballistic boattails.... Can't wait till they get here too play around lol....

I love my encore...I shoot 90 gr. of american pioneer loose powder with a .245gr xtp yellow tip. I finally went and got a good scope. Found the omega scope for around 250. I have it shooting in the lid of a pringles can at 125 yds which I'm not complaining about. It takes time to perfect a muzzleloader. I tried 4 different powders and 4 different sabots before I found the one that could hold a group. Lots of hours spent at the range. An old timer told me a long time ago don't expect to go out and sight your gun in 2 days before the season and be 10 ringing everything. It's just like a bow or shooting sporting clays with your shotgun you have to shoot all year round to be good with a certain gun.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Favorite gun of mine is a Browning Gold 3.5" 12 gauge. I got it back in '02 and it's been through hell and back in the Sandusky Bay marshes... without ever missing a beat. It's all black synthetic stock, so I affectionately named it "Moose Dick." :) My buddy Zak always busts my balls... saying it's nothing compared to his SBEII... but it holds its own and I've never had the urge to use it for a paddle. In second place as my favorite gun is a Savage .17 HMR. That gun is just plain FUN TO SHOOT!

JBrown....I also hunt witha goldhunter, your absolutely right, a true workhorse of a gun. My buddy shoots a SBEII, we were in saskatchewan hunting 2 years ago and we were on the second day of our hunt and his gun started jamming up. He had only put about 50 shells through it since the last cleaning. We had to take it apart and clean it every afternoon after hunting. The "old gold" kept shooting without fail. I almost bought the new maxim last year but i just didn't like the feel compared to my gold.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JBrown....I also hunt witha goldhunter, your absolutely right, a true workhorse of a gun. My buddy shoots a SBEII, we were in saskatchewan hunting 2 years ago and we were on the second day of our hunt and his gun started jamming up. He had only put about 50 shells through it since the last cleaning. We had to take it apart and clean it every afternoon after hunting. The "old gold" kept shooting without fail. I almost bought the new maxim last year but i just didn't like the feel compared to my gold.

You're right, man... the gold is one sweet-swinging shotgun!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Bumping this thread to the top to get some action in the gun forum - I know we've got some new faces in the crowd, let's hear from you...
FredT? FredT? What's your very favorite?

saddlepants

central Ohio
My Thompson Center Thunderhawk muzzy is prolly my favorite to shoot. Its accurate and LOUD with just a little push. But I havent gotten a chance to use it in a few years. Next in line is my single action stainless ruger 45's, only because I have so much fun with them via horseback all summer.