Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When you Grow up...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't want to ever grow up. I will lighten the mood for you guys. My Great Uncle David in SE KY was the biggest kid I ever knew. Well respected in the community. Started their local volunteer fire department. Ran the local phone company, which later took on the cable company, which eventually led to Appalacian Wireless. My point here is he had plenty of money, but never acted like it. He had plenty of responsibilities, but you would never know it. He never showed the stress. He was one of the first in his area to buy a 3 wheeler. Honda Big Reds. Moved on to the four wheelers, then got the four wheel drive Honda Foreman when it came out. He enjoyed every minute of it.

He introduced many to the off road sport. Camping, introducing newcomers to ATV's, and enjoying life. The man never grew up. They would pack up the ATV's like mules and camp the whole weekend along a creek or up on a ridge or wherever they wanted. Just playing in the mud, splashing each other in the creek until one of them would hit a big hole and swallow a four wheeler or something would break or they just wanted to stop for lunch. This went on until he got cancer. That man rode until he physically could not ride anymore. When he was very close to the end all the friends, neighbors, and relatives he had introduced to the sport gave him the biggest camping/four wheeling trip anyone could imagine. Everyone came to enjoy it. They camped, told stories, and reminisced. This was his last ride. The man died shortly after and was still the same big kid he had always been. Prankster, leader, joker, but mostly just a big kid with a smile on his face. I will always do my best to try to follow his example. This is the main reason I just don't want to ever grow up. I have been forced to become more responsible, but I refuse to grow up. Just like Uncle David Thacker.

Anyone ever rides at the Knott County ATV Safety Training Center, just know this was all started by my Uncle David. Knott County is also known as the Elk Capital of KY. If you ever draw an elk tag, there is a chance you will be hunting close to some of my relatives or in areas I used to go riding my dirt bikes in the summers with Uncle David, my Dad, cousins, and friends. Beautiful country!

Attachments

• DSCN1413 David Thacker.jpg
    DSCN1413 David Thacker.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I'm going to hunt my old, saggy balls off. But that's a given right?!?

In all seriousness, my goal is to retire at 60 and open a diner. I have a passion for good food and good company. I want go lay the ground work for a great diner by the time I'm 50, then take over full time when I retire.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My plan so far is to get these start-ups off MY teat and be able to afford someone else to do the day to day stuff. Get these houses flipped and move onto the next. I will semi-retire by 58 and full out retire at 61. Now I am trying to make the plan on paper a reality. An up turn in the economy would help alot.

Beentown

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
OK, here is the real plan (as of totay).

1. Finish our two years in Japan. During this period we'll be paying off credit card debit and both cars. I also will be finished or almost finished with by BS by the time we leave.

2. Move back to the states and buy a house w/land in Ohio. I'll do one more year in the Marine Corps, but will be stationed "hopefully" on the east coast. During this last year we'll be growing roots in Ohio, getting our house/property established and networking for future employment while Uncle Sam makes my mortage payment and gives me a steady pay check.

3. In 2013 I'll retire with 27 years in the Marine Corps. One of the primary reason I went the officer route is because the pay is MUCH better. At 27 years I'll be making 67.5 percent of my base pay per month. However, I also get housing allowance and another $275 in other allowances that I'll loose when I retire. Based off this, to maintain our current lifestyle, I'm going to need a job making at least $55,000 a year. I'm hoping to get a job with DLA or DCSC. Based off my skill sets and experience I should qualify for several positions I've seen advertised today in the 80K to 100K range. Thinking positively I'm pretty sure getting a job there won't be to much of an issue, especially since I know a few people who know people.

4. I'm pretty sure that you can retire from a GS position after 10 years. Regardless I'm going to play it by ear and see how we feel. I will probably be retired at 65, which would give me 20 years there. At that time I'd be drawing two pensions from Uncle Sam and Social Security. My house would be paid for, or at least close to it, and life would be good.

OK, so why the retirement goal for 65 vise 55 or 60? I'm just being realistic. 65 isn't that old anymore and 23 years from now it'll be even younger.

This is just a pipe dream plan. A lot can change over time. I may end up doing 30+ years in the Marine Corps or we might get out and find a better life in another state. However, this is the current plan and today it's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I will never grow up. Just not going to happen, responsible for the most part, yes, grown up, never.

With 3 kids my plans change all the time. I hope to retire before 60 and hopefully live till 70.