Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which carbon arrows do you use?

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I will be buying a new bow soon to replace my old Bear. What carbon arrows do you use/prefer for deer hunting? Based on my review, it appears my main choices are Easton, Carbon Express and Gold Tip.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've shot the Easton ST Axis 340's for years and love them. You will be hard pressed to find a tougher carbon arrow on the market. I'm switching to the Flatlines this year for some additional speed and from what I have seen, they take after the Axis' toughness. I have always been and will always be an Easton shooter...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
The only one's I have personal experience with are GoldTips, I've shot the XT Hunters and Expedition Hunters and have had no problems with either. Got a have dozen left in my quiver that hopefully be flying early this Fall!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Thanks for your input. I shoot Easton aluminum now and am leaning towards the ST Axis. I am on the fence about the arrow size. 60# bow wt, 29.5" draw length, so it seems it's between the 340s and 400s with probably a 100 grain broadhead.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've shot the Easton ST Axis 340's for years and love them. You will be hard pressed to find a tougher carbon arrow on the market. I'm switching to the Flatlines this year for some additional speed and from what I have seen, they take after the Axis' toughness. I have always been and will always be an Easton shooter...

Ditto on the Easton Axis. I've shot them 4 seasons now.

Ditto on the flatlines.

twireman

Kingston, OH
My brother and I have shot carbon express maximas for 5 years w/ no problems. My buddy shoots the Easton Axis. You cannot go wrong with any three you have named above IMO. Good luck.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'm planning on switching things up this year, and from all of the research I've been doing, and based on my bow's set up it looks to me Easton's ST Axis is a winner. In the past I've shot Carbon Express, and most recently I've been shooting Victory's the past two seasons. The Victory's were fine and killed a few deer, but like I said, I'm changing some things up this off season with the focus on speed & penetration.

Here's a few sites that might help you make the decision....

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_spine_chart_by_deflection.htm

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/penetration/index.cfm

http://www.dewclawarchery.com/Kinetic_Engery_Calculator-a/157.htm

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have been an Easton shooter since I first picked up a bow. They have never failed me, so I see no reason to change. I am shooting Flatline's right now, but they are pretty expensive. The Epic's are a good hunting arrow, and so aren't the Axis arrows.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I have shot the Victory Carbonwoods for the last couple of years but I will be switching to Harvest Time Archery arrows this year, it will be the HT1's for this year, all the reviews I've read on them have been good and my local shop carries them plus since Victory stop making the carbonwoods it will make it easier to switch! lol

Schu72

Streetsboro
I shoot Beeman ICS Hunter 340s. I don't have near the experience of most of the guys on here, but they seem to perform well.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shoot the Easton Flatline 340s as well. Cut at 29", with a 100 gr. tip and blazer vanes, my total arrow weight is right around 380 grains. If you want a hunting arrow with good durability and a flat trajectory, this is the perfect arrow, IMO. They are a bit on the expensive side, but like everything else you get what you pay for.