Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wildlife 2022/2023 Deer Season

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
6:30 a.m., Monday, February 6, 2023: 02/05/23 - LAST ARCHERY HUNT OF THE 22/23 WHITETAIL DEER HUNTING SEASON

20230205_185412.jpg

Video description:

I did manage to get out for a few hours this evening for an archery deer hunt @theotherfarm, and I'm so glad that I made the effort to get outdoors too because it was probably one of my best hunts in my life perhaps even though not an arrow ever took flight the entire time and not a mess was made after the fact either.

So, with all that in mind, I did NOT get any opportunity to potentially fill in or check in the last 'Either Sex' deer tag that I still had inside my pocket either, however that doesn't hurt my feelings whatsoever about it because the whole state took a good-ol-shellacking this year with regards to the EHD outbreaks that took place during the summer/fall of 22.

Both properties I hunt, especially at my place, got hit with the disease hard just prior to the opening of the new 22/23 hunting season. I estimate that we lost approximately 2/3rds of our local herd, roughly {20} twenty deer that were regular visitors at my place over the prior years and up to the early summer of 22.

The very tail end of this 22/23 hunting season for me went out with a bang though.

The last 20 minutes or so of the hunt was perhaps the most majestic I have ever witnessed or experienced out of my hunting life I think, and it had the 'WOW' factory thing working overtime until past dark or quitting time because of the unbelievable group of bachelors {six mature shooter bucks] that showed up within the immediate area of where I was hunting and stuck around for approximately 30 minutes roaming the woods.

I did manage to get some of it on film, however what I have is NOT of the best quality, and there are a few reasons why, such as the lack of natural light due to the time of day for outdoors, and the distance that was between us, approximately 75 yards mainly for the majority of their time spent within the immediate area. Five out of the six mature bucks, and possibly more that I could not see, I would not have hesitated in shooting at all if I had a buck tag left. Those bucks stayed together the entire time and they had no clue that I was in the area either.

This hunt will stick with me for an awfully long time, no doubt about it, and I'm already developing a strategy game plan for next season to get on that tremendous buck that I saw this evening.

Anyway, I will be putting together a final hunting analysis hunting report for my 2022/23 hunting season, much like what I have done over the past four or five years and make it available for everyone. It will take me some time to go through it all and compile everything, and it should be available by the end of the month at the very latest. There is a ton of deer data that I'll be sorting through and extract the best of the best for this year of hunting conclusion/final report. So, kindly keep an eye out for it later this month.

Appreciate you all and thank you once again for taking the time to read and watch any of the videos that I cared to share with you. You are awesome!

Until the next video drop, please be safe, try to stay healthy and consider getting out to enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer for you.

Have fun!

Sincerely,
WIldlifeOhio

Last edited:
Reactions: Spencie

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
BTW, the biggest big buck that I saw last night, I do believe he is the biggest one that is within this video below that I shared previously last year, which is the first year I started out hunting the other farm once again in the early season after being absent from the place for nearly 10 years. If it is him, it would be the very first time I got see him within daylight. All the others I believe I've had at least one prior encounter with during other previous hunts over the past two seasons, ever since I started hunting the property in the early seasons once again.

Hope you enjoy! [Probably one of my top favorite videos too, and it does have music associated with it also.]

Video description:

Description Updated 2/6/2023:

BTW, the biggest big buck that I saw last night, I do believe he is the biggest one that is within this video below that I shared previously last year, which is the first year I started out hunting the other farm once again in the early season after being absent from the place for nearly 10 years. If it is him, and I'm certain that it is pretty much, then last night would be the very first time I got see him within daylight. All the others I've had at least one prior encounter with during other previous hunts over the past two seasons, ever since I started hunting the property in the early seasons once again.

Hope you enjoy! [Probably one of my top favorite videos too, and it does have music associated with it also.]

Original description text below.

Different farm part two where the two trail cameras captured over 6,000 photographs of wildlife within a week. This video is of mainly of the better bucks and a coyote. There were plenty of wild turkeys as well, however I did not include them within this video. I consider this farm my home grounds, a place I used to hunt regularly for deer over 10 years ago, and I will be hunting regularly early bow season for the first time since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trueroots

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
1:30 p.m., Wednesday, February 8, 2023: 02/08/23 - On this day in history, I was born

20230207_054610cover.jpg

Video description:

On this day in history, my mother almost did not make it to the hospital and both my father and she thought that I was about to be born right along the side of the road in feet of snow. The state route main thoroughfare was being cleared as quickly as possible straight to the Emergency Room of the hospital in Syracuse, New York, on February 8, 1966, which was over a 25-mile journey from our home at the time to the north of town where they got the brunt of the blizzard that is still talked about to this day by those that lived through it.

This very special video is brought to you because it is my birthday today, and my poor mother, who passed away decades ago, made it to the hospital just in time, barely. I was born within the hour of my parent’s arrival. I hope you enjoy today’s special video, which does include factual historical information of the area I was born and raised, and where I currently live today within southern Ohio. This also includes today’s deer report as well.

Thank you for watching and if you like the video, kindly let me know, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bankfish

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
This is what was cut from yesterday's video, to make it shorter in length. This is the first chapter that would've been placed at the beginning of yesterday's video, which are of more scenic than it has to do with deer, kind of. If you watch it, you will get to see that I did a survey of the area and the wife really likes the video, so I just uploaded to the channel so she can watch whenever.

The video is unlisted with no text within the description. The shared link below is the only way to get to the video to view it. I'm sharing it here, just for this site only, nowhere else.

Since I have nothing else for you all today, I thought I'd go ahead and add this to the journal, thanks!

Hope some of you enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fletch

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
7:30 a.m., Sunday, February 12, 2023: 02/9 - 11/23 - WildlifeOhio's Reports

20230209_065713cover.jpg

This video shows much of what all occurred at both farms since Thursday, February 9, 2023, all the way through until Saturday at midnight, February 11, 2023. It also includes additional wildlife, a sunrise, a moonrise, a sunset and the 'Channel's 90-Day Analytics Report', starting when I first began sharing my '2022/23 Deer Hunting Season'.

Additionally, I also pulled out the overflow deer feed trough nearly a week ago because we do not have nearly the same number of deer within the area this year at this time as we did a year ago, most likely due to the EHD outbreak that occurred during the summer/early-fall of 2022.

Basically, I used our garden water hose from the wellhouse's water spicket and gave the entire feed trough a good-ol-solid spray down, then I scrubbed the entire inside thoroughly specifically, the white colored 55 gallon plastic drum portion only that got scrubbed, the original barrel that was cut in half, and both halves were made into feed troughs, utilizing hot pressured water with added mild soap, such as dawn soap, water, and then rinsed off, and finally set aside to dry off completely before final inspection.

The two identical custom-built deer feed troughs that I designed, built, constructed, and placed last year during the month of May 2022 for all the wildlife within our woods. Both feed troughs are still in absolute supreme excellent condition despite the fact of being completely exposed to the all-weather conditions, climates, and elements, along with any animal abuse for nearly one complete full year. Both troughs are extremely solid still, neither are showing any sort of breakdown of any kind that I can tell at this time.

The overflow deer feed trough that got pulled will be placed at a different location for this new year sometime this week.

Finally, this video is the 'Daily Deer Report' for each of the three most recent days of this week that will show all the Whitetail Deer festivities/actions/activities/ and/or movements for both farms.

My concluded assessment after reviewing all the collected data from all three cellular trail cameras, in general, everything seems to be less than normal considering there are less deer within the immediate area, which should have been our best year ever with regards to sheer deer numbers. Unfortunately, I did not foresee the EHD outbreak coming nor the negative impact that occurred to our local deer herd, which did dramatically decrease the local deer population by approximately two thirds (roughly 20 deer).

I hope you enjoy today's video. I wasn't planning on doing a video this soon, but I had time this morning to put it all together, and then uploaded for anyone that enjoys seeing Whitetail Deer.

The 2022/23 final analysis annual report should be available towards the end of the month, and today's video is simply a part of all the data intelligence gathering for that final report.

The 90-Day Analytics Report is also contained within the video, which goes back to when I started hunting for the 20/23 Whitetail Deer Hunting Season.

Thank you for watching, and please kindly let me know if this type of content is something that you actually truly enjoy. I appreciate any kind of feedback, thank you!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
9:00 a.m., Monday, February 13, 2023: 02/13/23 - WildlifeOhio's Morning🦌Deer Report [2 days worth]

20230213_032847cover.jpg

Once again, I started to put this report together much earlier this morning because I had some spare time on my hands, which is rare occasion, so please do not expect a daily report much like this, not until Father's Day of this year.

That being said, if I have the time and/or any significant deer event occurs within my neck of the woods between now and then, and it was captured on camera, I'll consider creating a brand new video to be uploaded for you all, again, that is if I have the time.

This report is basically a continuation of yesterday's report, when combined, both will show all the deer that stepped in front of any of the three cellular trail cameras ever since Thursday evening, February 9, 2023.

One of the main takeaways after reviewing all the trail cameras' data collected since midnight of the12th, there was far more deer action over both nights near or shortly after the midnight hour, which was about the same time the moon was straight above their head.

I hope you enjoy today's video deer report and thank you for watching!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20230214_021401cover.jpg

10:30 a.m., Tuesday, February 14, 2023: 02/14/23 - WildlifeOhio's Morning🦌Deer Report [Happy Valentine's Day!💝]

This is a video showing all the other deer that showed up at either one of the feed sites overnight, video put together with all the data placed in consecutive order by date & time from last night, up until daylight. Top of the 8 o'clock hour is when the sunlight reaches our property and begins to warms things up.

Final notes:

1.) Junior continues to rule the roost and appears to be totally healthy despite being wounded/shot by an archery hunter back in November of 22.

2.) New buck that shed one side shows up at the Western Stand and I'm willing to bet that he lost the other side last night too.

3.) @theotherfarm the deer activity has been fairly nonexistent since I stopped laying out food for the deer, but mineral licks remain. I will be taking care of them real soon by setting things up once again for the new year.

Happy Valentine's Day & thank you for watching!

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny..... Junior is looking good and I think on the road to full recovery.... Blocks still look untouched... Funny here in Jersey alot of guys are saying their blocks are untouched also, including such things as berrie blocks... Those will get carried away as soon as the bears wake up....

Reactions: Wildlife

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
11:50 a.m., Thursday, February 16, 2023: 02/16/23 - WildlifeOhio's Morning🦌Deer Report [2 days worth]

20230215_120808cover.jpg

This is a video showing all the other deer that showed up at either one of the feed sites over the course of the past couple of days, starting from the end of the last report on the 14th.

All the received cellular trail camera data has been placed in consecutive order by date & time since the last report on Valentine’s Day, up until shortly after first daylight of the 8 o'clock hour and when the heavy rain arrived as well.

There is a potential risk for severe weather outbreak today and some flooding. We already received a flood advisory shortly after it began to rain heavily here at home.

Some final notes of today's video:

1.) Junior will most likely have a permanent scar on his right upper shoulder from being shot last November with a bow and arrow. I can see within the video a decent size scab developing over his wound, and once again, he has not displayed any discomfort or annoyance at all from what I have observed over the past month too.

2.) The deer activity/action/festivities/movement since the beginning of the week has been minimal, less than normal, but still, what I consider steady over the course of the past 48 hours or so.

3.) Hardly any deer captured on camera @theohterfarm still, ever since I stopped laying out feed for them on the 5th. I have every intention of taking care of that property this coming weekend, February 18-19. 2023.

4.) I also spent the last couple of days spring cleaning and trying to get organized because of the gorgeous weather we've been having since Monday. I cleaned the entire workshop up, the barn, the carport, the cabin, the wellhouse and the wife took care of the house as well. As you will get to see within the video, it was a super big garbage night for us, which is NOT normal by any means, and the amount did minimize the time of the deer fed earlier this morning because of the garbage workers with the big loud garbage truck that arrived at the end of the driveway just after the 5:00 a.m. hour, which they ended up frightening off all the deer within the immediate area for the remainder of the morning.

5.) We received some weather advisories for today as well, such as a potential risk of flooding and possibly a server thunderstorm for later this afternoon through until this evening sometime. The heavier wet rainy weather will negatively impact the amount of deer movement if our creeks do flood their banks.

6.) You will also get to see that I went and picked up the monthly deer feed, 20-50 pound bags of whole corn per month, plus another mineral lick for the main feed-station here at home. The corn is for both farms. My standard monthly supply for all the deer that I try to take care of.

7.) Today’s report became available because I'm sitting here stuck indoors, I believe for the day possibly, or until all the nasty wet weather leaves the area. I will most likely continue producing these deer reports of mine until Junior sheds his antlers, which can happen any day now when compared to history.

Thank you for reading and/or watching! I truly hope you enjoy today's latest installment to the '2022/23 LIVE HUNT JOURNAL' playlist - https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX-1JMYXAH9O2t4d0yhodlWUjWzJ2dboM

Have a great day!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
8:45 a.m., Saturday, February 18, 2023: 02/18/23 - WildlifeOhio's Morning🦌Deer Report [2 days worth]

20230218_001740cover.jpg

This morning's report provides local weather information along with any wildlife that was captured by camera over the course of the past two {2} days, from sunrise to sunrise.

We did loose our electric utility power momentarily during the tail end of the storm on the 16th. The power recovered before I even got to use the newer generator, but it's already to go for the next go around.

I hope you enjoy today's video report and thank you for watching!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
9:30 a.m., Monday, February 20, 2023: 02/20/23 - WildlifeOhio's Morning🦌Deer Report [All Weekend]

20230220_072038Maincover.jpg

This morning video is a continuation from the last one shared last Saturday morning on the 18th, and this does go from there all the way through until just past this morning’s sunrise, finishing at 7:30 a.m.

This report will provide anyone the opportunity to have a sneak peak into what’s been going on within my neck of the woods in southern Ohio.

The video displays all deer captured by either one of the three cellular trail cameras that are in operation at two different properties separated within two different counties inside the state.

It will also showcase additional wildlife species as well, but did not include everything, just the ones that provided some beneficial information and a little humor.

All images were compiled, compressed, and then placed in consecutive order by way of timestamp starting from Saturday morning, the 18th through this morning at 7:30 a.m.

Whatever occurred in front of any of the three trail cameras and when, is exactly how things occurred over the past weekend and is now available for your viewing pleasure.

I hope you enjoy today’s President’s Day video deer report, which is also located inside the ‘2022/23 LIVE HUNT JOURNAL' playlist on the channel as well.

2022/23 LIVE HUNT JOURNAL: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX-1JMYXAH9O2t4d0yhodlWUjWzJ2dboM

Have a wonderful week!

Sincerely,
Denny - a.k.a. Wildlife, WIldlifeOhio

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Denny... Great to see Junior still holding both sides... I guess he's recovered from that arrow, or he might have dropped already... Good Job...(y)

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
6:45 a.m., Wednesday, February 22, 2023: 02/22/23 - WildlifeOhio's Morning🦌Deer Report [2 days worth]

For any of you that's been paying attention to any of my deer tracking (deer reports) of mine over the past two months for my area, I'm really interested to hear from you!

I like to get you opinion/thoughts on what you think on how the local deer herd within my area stacks up compared to yours, your area, thanks!

I can tell you that the number of deer that's been showing up this year so far compared to last year at this time is way down by at least 50% overall. I did not hunt my county during the most recent hunting season either because of the EHD outbreak within the local area. I have no idea how long it will take to recover the deer numbers, or get back to the same number of deer as last year, however I will continue doing everything that I've been doing over the past five years, which is to help grow our local deer herd to a high enough level that the habitat can handle and for all those that hunt the area as well.

So far, my current assessment or best judgement at the moment is that I believe it will not take nearly as long compared to what I had to deal with when I first started quality deer management {QDM} back in the fall of 2016. If things continue the way they have been over the last two months, then I expect to be back to the same level or number by perhaps the beginning of the 2024/25 hunting season.

20230220_152917cover.jpg

This morning report is a continuation from the last video report, from Monday morning the 20th, through this morning’s dawn, completing at 6:00 a.m.

This report will provide anyone the opportunity to have a sneak peak into what’s been going on within my neck of the woods in southern Ohio.

The video displays all deer captured by either one of the three cellular trail cameras that are in operation at two different properties separated within two different counties inside the state.

It will also showcase additional wildlife species as well but did not include everything.

All images were compiled, compressed, and then place in consecutive order by way of timestamp starting from Monday morning, the 20th through this morning at 6:00 a.m.

Whatever occurred in front of any of the three trail cameras and when, is exactly how things occurred over the past 48 plus hours and is now available for your viewing pleasure.

I hope you enjoy this morning’s deer report, which is also located inside the ‘2022/23 LIVE HUNT JOURNAL' playlist on the channel as well.

2022/23 LIVE HUNT JOURNAL: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX-1JMYXAH9O2t4d0yhodlWUjWzJ2dboM

Have a wonderful rest of the week!

Sincerely,

Denny a.k.a. - Wildlife, WIldlifeOhio

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
11:00 a.m., Friday, February 24, 2023: 02/24/23 - WildlifeOhio's Morning🦌Deer Report [2 days worth]

20230222_133404YouTubecover.jpg

This morning report is a continuation from the last video report, from Wednesday morning the 22nd, through this morning’s dawn, completing at 7:30 a.m.

It will also showcase additional wildlife species as well but did not include everything. All images were compiled, compressed, and then place in consecutive order by way of timestamp starting from Wednesday morning, the 22nd through this morning at 7:30 a.m.

Whatever occurred in front of any of the three trail cameras and when, is exactly how things occurred over the past 48 plus hours and is now available for your viewing pleasure.

I hope you enjoy this morning’s deer report, which is also located inside the ‘2022/23 LIVE HUNT JOURNAL' playlist on the channel as well.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Sincerely,

Denny a.k.a. - Wildlife, WIldlifeOhio

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
How's the coyote depopulation mission going? I was just thinking last night about how I wish we had some snow on the ground.

It's been going alright. How about yourself?

I've been on their schedule ever since I finished up hunting deer. Haven't killed any just yet because I haven't tried. Been waiting on all the shed hunters to finish up pretty much. We've had multiple trespassers on all properties as well over the last two weeks. Each property owner, including myself are currently figuring out the next steps on what to do about it. I have several of them documented and will be turned over to the owners this weekend.

Anyway, it's goin Dave. I stay on patrol 24/7/365 pretty much all the time around here, always keeping an eye out for them, and the neighbors as well. They keep me informed. Things tend to go smoothly around here when I'm up late at night. I haven't been out yet for an actual assault on them just yet but will be real soon.

Last night, the yotes were busy, and close. Probably should have gotten out, but instead I got a real good nights' sleep instead and feel pretty darn good today.

I've done a ton of scouting though for them and have all the intel while being on their schedule. That said, I believe I have a real good handle on where some of the dens are and where they tend to gather and hunt/eat most nights too so, I'll be getting after them soon, throughout the month of March. I figure I'll end up doing multiple sets throughout multiple days throughout the entire month, day & night, but mainly during those prime hours, such as first and last light and during peak moon-phases.

I'd love to see you get after them too some time, and think about getting your son into it because I'll tell ya, it's a lot of fun especially when you have first ingrained 'safety first, always!'

If you do get out, I wish you the best of luck as well!

Thanks for asking and have a wonderful rest of the weekend too! I've got to get going myself and finish up my morning chores here, then head out for the day. Got plenty to do today...

Later on, Dave! Have a good one!!

C-ya!

Last edited:

giles

Cull buck specialist
Supporting Member
Shed hunters and mushroom hunters are the absolute worst about trespassing. Like everything else, a couple of shitbags give everyone a bad name.

Anyways, we will get out soon. I don't have a thermal or anything but I have friends that do. That is why I wanting snow. I do have a couple of good scopes that work great in the snow covered nights. The talks of him building a coyote rifle have been had. I will share them if we do one. AR platform 243 is the thought. I can't bring myself to let him get on the 6.5 bandwagon🤣.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
11:30 a.m., Monday, February 27, 2023: 02/27/23 - WildlifeOhio's Morning🦌Deer Report [All Weekend]

20230224_180327cover.jpg

This morning video is a continuation from the last one shared last Friday morning on the 24th, and this does go from there all the way through until past this morning’s sunrise, finishing at 7:30 a.m. This report will provide anyone the opportunity to have a sneak peak into what’s been going on within my neck of the woods in southern Ohio. The video displays all deer that was captured by either one of the three cellular trail cameras that are in operation at two different farm properties that are separated within two different counties inside the state. It will also showcase additional wildlife species as well, but did not include all of them, just some of the ones that provide some beneficial information and a little humor. This video provides nearly all the information needed regarding what wildlife live within the immediate area and/or visits the feed sites that I manage all year long, the two main feed sites that is.. This video basically serves as a benchmark of what's to come and what I have to work with going forward. There will be many changes along the way as the weather seasons change throughout the remainder of the year.

Some additional photography was also included in today's video showing some of the other outdoor activities that occurred over the weekend as well. We had some beautiful weather over the weekend to get caught up and prepared for Spring and nasty future weather storms, such as the windstorm we are currently receiving today.

Today's video is the last regular "Morning Deer Report" until June 2023. That is when I'll be back on the channel once again regularly, creating and sharing brand new reports and the latest wildlife captured content for the remainder of the year. Until then, please feel free to browse the channel.

All digital captured images for today's video were compiled, compressed, and then place in consecutive order by way of timestamp starting from Friday morning, the 24th through this morning stopping at 7:30 a.m.

Whatever occurred in front of any of the three trail cameras and when, is exactly how things occurred over the past weekend and is now available for your viewing pleasure.

I hope you enjoy today’s video deer report, which is also located inside the ‘2022/23 LIVE HUNT JOURNAL' playlist on the channel as well.

Final note: There will be two, maybe three more near future videos created and shared. One will be the final '2022/23 hunting analysis report' with all the numbers, and a couple of bonus videos showing stuff never shared before with anyone so, you might want to watchout for them. I hope to have each of them available over the next couple of days.

I hope you enjoy today's 'morning deer report' of mine and thank you for reading & watching!

Have a wonderful week!

Sincerely,
Denny - a.k.a. Wildlife, WIldlifeOhio

**Tornado Warning** sirens in the local area sounded off.

Sirens were sounding off for over 15 minutes. Still not out of the woods yet I think either yet, but we are receiving heavy rain and whipping winds currently.

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
5:30 a.m., Friday, March 3, 2023: 'Some Still Holding'

A few showed up at the feed sites that are still holding onto their antlers as of this morning.

f216670d-2bd3-40e8-a016-e99a74c2e9fb.jpg

ad3ff407-2928-44cf-9950-9af6ccf27047.jpg
45d5a59e-9138-43f4-8c2d-71a3b7ecc933.jpg

Current afternoon and forecasted local weather for the rest of today, Friday, March 3, 2023.

U.S. National Weather Service Areal Flood Watch Start: 1:00 AM, Friday, March 3 End: 1:00 AM, Saturday, March 4 Source: U.S. National Weather Service

U.S. National Weather Service Wind Advisory Start: 2:00 PM, Friday, March 3 End: 4:00 AM, Saturday, March 4 Source: U.S. National Weather Service

Attachments

• 20230303_075501.gif
    20230303_075501.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
Last edited: