Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wire Haired Dauchund

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
1664300484542.png

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
14 hr old track. Very little blood And I only got about 70 yds of it.... Deer was hit in front of the hind angled into the guts and only got a 3rd arrow of penetration from a compound bow. No prize we're a little bummed right now and Maxx is wore out!

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
1/3 of arrow isn't a lot. Hate to hear that for the hunter (and you and Maxx.) You are going to have fun this season. I know it. Just realize there will be plenty of these. Not every deer you go to track is a dead deer. I had to really start screening before I took a track. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry thinks your dog will work miracles. Not going to find a deer they missed, or hit antler, or didn't put a lethal shot on him.

I am far from an expert. Truthfully, I'm not sure I was very good at it. One thing I learned though is you will need to read what Maxx is telling you. It is easy to know if he is getting it right or not if you made the track for training. Coming in blind and not knowing what the deer did makes it way tougher. You'll start picking up on what he is saying a little more on each track. Good luck on the next one!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
1/3 of arrow isn't a lot. Hate to hear that for the hunter (and you and Maxx.) You are going to have fun this season. I know it. Just realize there will be plenty of these. Not every deer you go to track is a dead deer. I had to really start screening before I took a track. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry thinks your dog will work miracles. Not going to find a deer they missed, or hit antler, or didn't put a lethal shot on him.

I am far from an expert. Truthfully, I'm not sure I was very good at it. One thing I learned though is you will need to read what Maxx is telling you. It is easy to know if he is getting it right or not if you made the track for training. Coming in blind and not knowing what the deer did makes it way tougher. You'll start picking up on what he is saying a little more on each track. Good luck on the next one!

I know you're right. I think I got a little careless when I seen the deers pic. I wanted Maxx to find a big one for this guy. This track was a tough one for Maxx's age and "live" experience.