Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wire Haired Dauchund

Jamie

Ohio
HE DID IT!
Just ran a dandy 1300 yd track with 1/2 the blood I should be using. 18.5 hours old. Maxx ran it fast and flawless.
His Drive Is Priceless! 🐕
So I take it you managed to stay the hell out of his way? 🤣

seriously, though, congrats to Team Maxx. Nice work. Nothing more pleasing than having a talented dog living up to and exceeding expectations. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
We pull in for Maxx's morning run. I see 2 fawns playing in our path~~Maxx does not see them. He alerted to smells in that area, but kept on in direction of our trail.
Amazes me how they want a deer so bad, but stay on the trail they are on....
Any Critter sightings are another story. I get the "Hold on Dad, gon' get that Sombitch" Then back to tracking...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just came back to freshen the trail for a fiend to run. The twins were still here hangin out.
20230620_141551.jpg

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
DO NOT EVEN WANT TO POST THIS...
Maxx fell on his face and it may be my fault.
Bottom line we got to the test, he fell on his face and wanted to walk around and fuck off... On the third try the judge called it.... And to be honest I really don't blame him, I was quite embarrassed.
I had the same judge as the test that Maxx ran flawless.
Bottom line...we failed level 2.
Judge recommended: That I use 29' of my lead and respectfully "Shut the fuck up!"...
Seems that I have tried to be encouraging to my dog and he became dependent on my words versus the track.
He claims it's a very common issue and it's easy to fix...but right now is sure hurts....

Jamie

Ohio
Knowing when to intervene and when to just let them go and trust them is a hard thing to understand. You will figure it out. Over-handling a dog is very easy to do, and I did it badly with Lefty. Slick is a better dog because of what I did not do when he was a pup and still learning.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
If you were a seasoned trainer than it’d be on you. There’s a huge learning curve for the both of you, let the sting subside, move on and learn from it. He’ll get it the next time!
How soon can you retest?