Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wire Haired Dauchund

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They are tough. I had a liver shot doe (big girl with Slick Trick broadhead) take a few steps once. Stopped. Fell forward onto her nose. Done. . . . Or not. I watched her. Started to send texts. Waited 45-60min as she had not moved once hitting the ground. Started to climb down. She got up and lead her two yearlings over 300yds away. I ended up recovering her but never would have guessed she was going to get up again. Sometimes it just doesn't equate. No explanation for this one outside of her motherly protective instinct.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
WOW...Where to start: Maxx got straight on the track but slowed in cut bean field (hot and dry today). Walked a line on through and to the last blood marker. There was at least 4 beds w/blood near that camera. Maxx was doing pretzel patterns and no real direction but he was working it hard! . Hunter got on the phone and Maxx tried going down this one path 3 times and was getting pissed at me. Finally we headed towards some switchgrass and Maxx went turbo! That shit is Nasty on a 30' dog lead. Had to shorten to 6' so Maxx could move at all. 40 yds in Maxx growls (he doesnt do that on track) and all hell broke loose! Maxx over-ran the buck and out the grass he came! Horns first and was within 18-24" of us both. Deer ran about 40 yds through grass and Maxx went Taz-devil on me. Buck got out ahead and zoned-out a little... Used my voice and directions to get the Hunter all the way around me and get another arrow in the buck. Gooboy Maxx Dawg!
The picture of the entrance was deceiving... it was back farther the arrow missed the lungs and liver and got paunch and guts.
20241022_173247.jpg

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
We're hoping that first deer really is alive so my brother or I can finish the story. He's a giant and one of the weirdest tracks I've ever been on. Max did his thing, showed us a couple more spots but the deer never bedded and sign dissappeard quick. I've got a few cams on that piece and gonna add a few more to see if he comes back.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
We're hoping that first deer really is alive so my brother or I can finish the story. He's a giant and one of the weirdest tracks I've ever been on. Max did his thing, showed us a couple more spots but the deer never bedded and sign dissappeard quick. I've got a few cams on that piece and gonna add a few more to see if he comes back.
If not the buzzards will guide you in a couple days. Shitty way to find them but at least you’ll recover them and have closure!

Reactions: bigten05