Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wire Haired Dauchund

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Screenshot_20231011-201331_Gallery.jpg

Kind of hurts me looking at it!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
20231014_113312.jpg

Got a Great call yesterday! Shooter did a 10 foot radius around where the deer was standing seen no blood and went to the house. No blood at all and it rained quite a bit the track was very very slow but max finally figured it out. Deer went 70 yds.
I found out it was the boy's second deer and nobody really showed him before. (Plus there was signs he's had it rough...)
I tracked, gutted and put it on my deer cart. They were gonna take it to a different house on top of the one Kid's Moms car! So I left it in my truck and took it to the next town over about 9 miles... To keep those 3 from getting their ass beat clear off.... Very grateful young man and definitely deserved it all.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just got back from Zanesville Tri-County Wildlife Area. Qtr-to shot in front of shoulder. Maxx was a maniac tonight...never let up for a minute. Showed us blood many times in a mile. At 1.25 mile, I ran out of permission. On the other side of the field Maxx wanted to go across was our trucks and the woods the deer originally came out of before dark.
I believe arrow was not angled enough to get the lung or liver. They were quite impressed with Maxx. Said they hired a dog in Vermont that couldn't hold a candle to what my dog did tonight.
I guess success doesn't always come with a kill.
Gooo Boy Maxx!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Today: "I got good blood, I'm a little high but still in the money" I explained it as border-line "No-mans land" 50/50 @ best! Maxx hits it for 800 yds twice to the same spot. I tell the hunter the deer is definitely still alive but that's the way he went. Hunter does not believe me because the deer has to be down! He calls his friend to help track and his friend says so you're the one that shot the tall 8 pt? It went by my stand last night right behind the shoulder had a blood spot and he had a limp but other than that he seemed to be okay....
So the shooter went grid- searching for 3 hours. Moral of the story....he now thinks the deer might be alive! And Maxx thinks they should all practice!
Gooo Boy Maxx!

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Track #2 Today...
Shooter says I regret it, but took a very bad frontal shot. He has no blood but he knows he hit the deer and that we will find blood later. Maxx took the same trail 3 times and I told the guy the deer is alive I have no blood no nothing and we've already covered 350 or so yards. The guy tells me he definitely aimed very careful because he shot a 186 inch deer before! "Ohhh OK"
When we went back to the hit-site and went through the motions where he was where the deer was blah blah. I find there's quite a Birch branch in between where he was sitting on the bucket and the deer was standing. AND, he finally tells me the deer did duck quite a bit at the shot. And it had to be dead center of chest because lumi-nock and chest were lined up at one time.... OH OK... Deer is alive...
Maxx asked for a pistol for Christmas. 🤣🤣🤣

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Track #3 for today...
Family was told I'm on my way to a track and if you can wait I will definitely be there but I cannot tell you when is that okay?
Yessir That's Fine!
Get done with the second track get halfway to the third track and find out they called another dog and never told me.
Santa Definitely Bringing You A Pistol Maxx.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Buckmaster

Portage
I have similar excuses trying to sell my FIL’s stuff on Marketplace. People are not responsible and totally suck. I can’t wait to go off grid and smash my cell phones and computers someday. They simply thrive on trying to nail me for best price and ghost me. Interesting concept.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Mandatory Bowhunter Ed.
Will never happen in this state but certainly should.
Back in the day, I had to take a bow hunter Ed course to be able to hunt the nwr’s. It’s not required anymore. I was hard trying to find a class.

Can’t say it was the fix all class for experienced hunters, but new hunters could learn. It all boils down to morals and ethics to try to make the best shot or pass on a marginal shot. Everyone’s moral compass if different.