Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wire Haired Dauchund

Got a call this morning. Hour away, believes it is a liver hit (@ last rib angled towards opposite leg) He wants to start just before last blood. We get there and he says... I'm not positive where last blood is. It's in my phone but not sure.
(No TP or sticks to mark it) He took me to my truck and gave me some cash. Hard to get them on the tailgate like that.
WTF

Reactions: xbowguy

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
image000000(6).jpg
image000002.jpg

Maxx had to be down for a day. Worked verbally with a guy needing help. Turned him on to the peroxide trick. Deer found 400 yds away tucked in the creek. I had told him to exhaust every option before quitting.
Persistence paid off!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
UPDATE: Phone ringing at 1:30 am (alarm set for 5 am)
"Sorry buddy, but they say we don't need a dog. Not trying to jack you around. Call you tomorrow after they look again..."
My answer: Make Real Sure You Look Real Good!

• Wow
Reactions: Big_Holla

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I did the drone stuff last year, and this is all very relatable. I don't miss the games hunters play at all. In fact I grew pretty intolerant of them after just a month. Kudos to you for tolerating it and doing it for your own pleasure.

Reactions: xbowguy

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is easy to have a negative opinion of hunters if you run a dog. I did not do many and I got a taste of it. There was a learning curve for the dog and the handler. I'm still kicking myself for not trusting Hank in one of our earliest tracks. It was for a TOO member. They found the buck during gun season in a thicket Hank kept bringing me back to.

I took some tracks like Rick has described. When they find their arrow later and see it was a complete miss. . . You learn to screen calls better. They need to give you something to work with. I hate to hear some of the run around Rick and Maxx are getting. Keep your chin up and keep sharing the feel good stories. They seem to make it worth it.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
It happens. Unfortunately I just found out a few minutes ago about a deer that I pulled Maxx off of... we were on the right track and 40 yd short.
And I put 150% into every track. But it still sucks to leave one. Trust your dog is hard one to learn.