Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wire Haired Dauchund

Got a call this morning. Hour away, believes it is a liver hit (@ last rib angled towards opposite leg) He wants to start just before last blood. We get there and he says... I'm not positive where last blood is. It's in my phone but not sure.
(No TP or sticks to mark it) He took me to my truck and gave me some cash. Hard to get them on the tailgate like that.
WTF

Reactions: xbowguy

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
image000000(6).jpg
image000002.jpg

Maxx had to be down for a day. Worked verbally with a guy needing help. Turned him on to the peroxide trick. Deer found 400 yds away tucked in the creek. I had told him to exhaust every option before quitting.
Persistence paid off!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is easy to have a negative opinion of hunters if you run a dog. I did not do many and I got a taste of it. There was a learning curve for the dog and the handler. I'm still kicking myself for not trusting Hank in one of our earliest tracks. It was for a TOO member. They found the buck during gun season in a thicket Hank kept bringing me back to.

I took some tracks like Rick has described. When they find their arrow later and see it was a complete miss. . . You learn to screen calls better. They need to give you something to work with. I hate to hear some of the run around Rick and Maxx are getting. Keep your chin up and keep sharing the feel good stories. They seem to make it worth it.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Called tonight for repeat family. The one we left their friends deer in the woods. They had tracked it approx 350-400 yds and jumped it out of the bed. I had them go to the house and showed up at 8 pm. Tracked it approx 400 yds after last blood. Guy says "you ever track a deer this far?" (Figured he was getting nervous) Just then I seen a spot of blood, showed it to him so he knew Maxx was not a bullshitter. We did another 250-300 yds and Maxx was locked-down on it. Seen eyes up ahead and stopped everyone (4 people plus me). I told them to stay out until morning at least. Head was up but he did not exit. Their going in around 10 tomorrow. Wherever that deer was hit, it's bad but taking awhile.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Drunk guy from two days ago: We still can't find that deer. And I know its dead...
Me: Could be....keep looking and good luck!
(And I find out its some chicks deer) SMH