Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wool socks

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It more than came up......I dont recall who the sniffer was but I about fell outta my chair when I look over to see Jesse retrieving his sock from someone's face....

I caught him bending down out of the corner of my eye, my head snapped over so fast I pulled a muscle in my neck.. :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, I have a pair of Smartwool but I also wear Germapro and like them better. They have extra material at contact points like behind the heel and over the top to help with boot fatigue etc. I put 12+ miles a day on them in Arizona and wore them for 1-2 days before changing. Had them over a year and they're still going strong. Cheaper too at $12 a pair vs $20.

https://amzn.to/2IMWwkD

1603142397545.png

1603142426965.png

Jamie

Ohio
yes, looks like an excellent sock for work, hiking or any warm weather activity. no wool, so I'd be concerned about the thermal properties when sitting still for 4-5 hours or all day, on a cold, windy day in November.

Reactions: Big_Holla and giles

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
yes, looks like an excellent sock for work, hiking or any warm weather activity. no wool, so I'd be concerned about the thermal properties when sitting still for 4-5 hours or all day, on a cold, windy day in November.

I've personally always relied on my boot to keep me warm and my sock to wick moisture and keep my feet dry. I usually run a 1200 gram Thinsulate Lacrosse Alpha Burley boot because even at the high Thinsulate number they don't wear like footballs on my feet. I'm pretty sure I've worn them during cold sits and can't recall any cold feet issues, then again it's my boots doing the work. IDK, can't make a claim as to their warmth.

The material makeup is 42% Polyester, 30% Coolmax Fabric (50% cotton - 50% polyester), 22% Nylon, 6% Elastane. So really only 15% cotton and 79% Polyester and Nylon which has warmth properties. IDK. Give them a shot.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I wear Lorpen merino hikers every day. I also have quite a few icebreaker ones including my go to cold weather hunting socks. I have had smartwool ones in the past but they don't hold up as well for me.

I also swear by merino for my baselayer but that's another thread (@giles have you started that one yet?)

Reactions: giles

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’ve got at least ten pair now and will never go back to cotton socks. My wife will keep an eye open for when they go on sale and will pick up a couple of pair but she can back off now because they are very durable so I think I’m good for the foreseeable future.👍

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I’m gonna order some more Darn Tough socks. Love them so far. I want to try some over the calf height socks this time. My new pull-on work boots are rubbing the hair off my legs. Lol