Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Your Not Gonna Believe This!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Man, I just bought the shit to fill tanks too. I think a cooler of ice out back will be my method of cooling down after seeing this! Crazy coincidence really, Rick. Sucks you gotta deal with this today. Did you loose any deer meat?

Reactions: xbowguy

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Guy from Arizona just called he said the tank is in pieces two of them on his front porch....🤣🤣🤣
Forgive me I gotta laugh to keep from crying....

Attachments

• 75EB909B-334C-4CC9-86FA-1A7FB841CD64.jpeg
    75EB909B-334C-4CC9-86FA-1A7FB841CD64.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 97

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Man, I just bought the shit to fill tanks too. I think a cooler of ice out back will be my method of cooling down after seeing this! Crazy coincidence really, Rick. Sucks you gotta deal with this today. Did you loose any deer meat?
So you’re using a 20lb bottle too fill up the 1lb bottles?

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
A couple years ago, it was cold as a witches tit for 3 weeks. Every camp in the campground pipes busted, even some in the ground. Small propane bottles were non existent in these parts.

I did a lot of research on refilling the bottles. You really ain’t getting hardly anything extra by cooling the 1 pounder. Also some continued to leak. As long as your turning the 20# bottle upside down, your filling w liquid and not air. Your still only gonna get 3/4# in it at best. I made it through the season and just bought a bunch in the off season when they were cheaper.

Another alternative is to by the fitting, longer hose and run a filter inline to catch the oils. That’s what clogs up the lines in the small appliances or mr buddy heaters.

Being in my profession using a max 10-15 bottles in cold years it wasn’t worth the risk or hassle. IMO

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First off, I’m glad everyone is okay Rick. That had to be scary and confusing as hell!

I’ve refilled a ton of 1 lb tanks over the years. Although I can’t say I’ve ever put them in my freezer. It’s usually ice fishing season when I’m doing it and I just put them outside to chill. I have buddies who have put them in their freezer plenty of times. Can’t say I’ve ever heard of this happening before! I do know that I’ve overfilled plenty of them before and they do tend to leak quite a bit once they warm up and the propane expands.