Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Your opinion please (sausage making)

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have a few pounds of venison trim, bear trim and some goose breasts and pork trim and pork fat back.

I'm thinking about making a generic "wild game" with all the meats. Using some of that and potentially (depending on weights of lean meats vs pork trim) adding some fatback.

Then take batches of that base and adding seasoning to make sticks.

Then with a different batch of base add a little more fatback (aiming for 25-30%) season and make trail bologna.

Finally take another batch of base, more fat to about 40% and do bratwurst seasoning and brats.

Thoughts?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Bro over here mixing up SARS-COV-3 :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding. I mean I don't see why it won't work. It works for slim-jim and other sausage makers mixing the whole barnyard of animals; so I don't see why not.. But I think you're in uncharted territory for our advice. I say blaze that trail and let us know.

Johnny44

Only thing I'd suggest would be to add more fat. I think 80/20 is for burger. I may be mixing it up though. I'd be interested to know how it turns out. I wonder about the goose as I have heard terrible things about goose meat only being good for jerky. Please let us know how it turns out!

JARHEAD

Behind you
I'd say go for it! Sounds like a terrific idea! Depending on the ratio of pork trim and fat back to the other meats you may not need to add as much as you think. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I see no reason why this wouldn't work. The general rule of sausage making would have you cook it at a temp plenty high enough for all those meats. To be safe, I would cook to 170 with the addition of the bear just to be safe when it comes to trich.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Will the bear take over the flavor? Maybe ive had improperly handled bear meat but it was strong as hell. I can see goose and deer jiving. Only one way to find out....

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Only thing I'd suggest would be to add more fat. I think 80/20 is for burger. I may be mixing it up though. I'd be interested to know how it turns out. I wonder about the goose as I have heard terrible things about goose meat only being good for jerky. Please let us know how it turns out!
I'm going to go 30%ishb for the sticks, 35-40 for the bologna and 40-45 for the brats.

I've made good pastrami, it was delicious but my family doesn't eat it that much.

Will the bear take over the flavor? Maybe ive had improperly handled bear meat but it was strong as hell. I can see goose and deer jiving. Only one way to find out....

So far all the bear I've cooked has been delicious and the family has eaten it right up. I've heard it depends on the diet of the best, mine was baited so.... yeah sugary diabetes diet.

Reactions: Bowkills

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm thinking a video might be in order.
Seriously, man, it could help the rest of us. And if the result is great, you've got it recorded for posterity

Reactions: Left field

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Ended up with 57 lbs when i was finished with the venison, goose, bear and pork trim.

The plan is for maple bacon snack sticks and bourbon peppercorn snack sticks. But made at close to bratwurst diameter because it's too hard to make snack stick size ones.

Then some summer sausage, bratwurst and bratdogs. Bratdogs are hotdog seasoning but not emulsified.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Today i made 25lbs of 40% pork back fat bratwurst Used waltons blue ribbon bratwurst seasoning. Natural hog casings. Yuengling light instead of water to dissolve the seasoning. Mixed by hand.

Cooked up nice

Stuffer snapped back and caught my eyebrow with the crank. Split it open real nice

Ended up with 14 vacuum sealed packages. Each one with 7-10 hand twisted sausages.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So I did it. After the bear trim, venison trim,goose breasts and 2 pork picnic shoulders and 1 jowl I had almost 58 lbs of "wild game mix".

I made:
25 lbs of 40% pork back fat beer bratwurst
25 lbs 40% pork back fat bratdogs (hotdog seasoning but not emulsified and not precooked)
14.5# of maple bacon snack sticks in bratwurst collagen casing 20% fat
5# of bourbon peppercorn snack sticks in bratwurst collagen casing 20% fat
16# summer sausage with 34% fat.

All the bratwurst are vacuum packed and in the freezer. The snack sticks and summer sausage are spending the night in the garage until they hit the smoker in the morning.

Bowkills

Nw oh
So I did it. After the bear trim, venison trim,goose breasts and 2 pork picnic shoulders and 1 jowl I had almost 58 lbs of "wild game mix".

I made:
25 lbs of 40% pork back fat beer bratwurst
25 lbs 40% pork back fat bratdogs (hotdog seasoning but not emulsified and not precooked)
14.5# of maple bacon snack sticks in bratwurst collagen casing 20% fat
5# of bourbon peppercorn snack sticks in bratwurst collagen casing 20% fat
16# summer sausage with 34% fat.

All the bratwurst are vacuum packed and in the freezer. The snack sticks and summer sausage are spending the night in the garage until they hit the smoker in the morning.
With the beer and bourbon items did u replace normal water amounts with the booze?