Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Phil's Adventures 2015 2016

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I thought you'd like to have these, and I find great humor in the pic of you and Garrett!

Attachments

• MFDC0135.jpg
    MFDC0135.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 173
  • MFDC0170.jpg
    MFDC0170.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 163

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is a copy of Garrett's first deer kill. She made it 10-15yds into the field beyond the edge of the woods. It was down pretty quick. You can barely hear it. Turn volume all the way up and listen close and it is mostly audible. I am clearly not a professional videographer. That is okay. This was never intended to be on some TV show or anything. It's all about the memories.

[video]https://youtu.be/Me43b8tpqdo[/video]

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Gotta love having it on video!!!

Good thing I don't charge to video. Once she was out of the field of view. . . she gone. You could only hear her crashing. lmao

Not sure when I will get to hunt again. Been glassing from a distance. Asked permission on a property I get turned down every year. I ask every year. I offer services every year. I have offered to lease. His ears perked up when I said "If you have any trees down you would like cleaned up, let me know. Hunting permission or not, I'd be happy to get the firewood. If it helps you out, all the better." He acted like he might want some of it cleared out. That is a bonus for me. In my opinion, not gaining permission by asking is rather common. Becoming a familiar face and offering services for free (obviously I would benefit from an additional firewood source) tends to make people more comfortable around you. I have gained permission before by becoming a familiar face and offering to help out. Knowing I wasn't getting permission, I still pitched in. Might take me 3-5yrs of helping out. I suspect I will get a yes one of these years. If not? I don't care. Firewood is needed every year.

On another property, I hung two sets today. Well, hung one set and cleared some shooting lanes for a climber tree. If I don't see a decent deer out of one of these sets this year, it is because I haven't had time to hunt them. They are some of the more impressive pinch points from ag fields to bedding I may have seen in a long time. I will not hunt either unless I can get in there an hour before legal shooting light. They are all day pre-rut and rut stands. No doubt I could kill freezer meat all season. If I want a shot at a big boy, I need to hunt them wisely.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First solo sit of the year. Dawn was 711 and I was in the stand an hour prior. About 730am I had a year and half old pop up on the path I walked in. As I am watching he has a nice 2 or 3yr old 8pt join him. Roughly 125" 8pt. Pretty deer. They flow the path in which I walked to my stand and continued straight where I veered off to the tree. Offered 35yds shot on each. Crossed a creek and I caught glimpses of them and listened to them spar for maybe 10min. Later had a couple other small bucks come out.

Time on stand: 4hrs
Deer seen: 4
Shots taken : none

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is the video of the bucks I saw at 730 ish this morning. Couple pics too.

009.jpg008.jpg

[video]https://youtu.be/49KZP0xR0rs[/video]

Season totals:
Hours hunted: 11
Deer seen: 14
Deer in freezer: 1

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bad wind yesterday morning. Wanted to hunt so I did. Hunted a tree that worked for the wind. Saw nothing until walking out. Then I saw an impressively huge hoof print. As I was following the direction it lead a few feet I look up to watch 3 does bust out.

Morning hunt: 2.5hrs.
Deer seen: 3

Evening yesterday I hunted out of my climber. Had real high hopes. The area is prime intersecting travel corridors with standing corn 50yds away. 3 skin heads. One was a button bucks just about out of spots. Stood at base of my tree maybe 3-5min. Did see a really nice rub on way in. Heard crazy banging of antlers at one point but never saw any bucks. I suspect it was the goons hunting the next property over.

Hours: 3
Deer seen: 3

Now I am setup on a third property. Same stand I killed my buck in last year. In fact, that was the last time I hunted this stand. Settled in since 4. Standing corn to my west. We shall see what happens.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
3rd solo sit of the year is done. I have had two encounters with 2 different maybe 120-125" bucks. Hard to complain about anything there.

Saw movement early. 615 I saw fur. It was a year and half buck. Shortly after he was followed by a deer I call Muley. His g2 has a split or fork at the top similar to a mule deer. I had a run in with a deer with near identical rack 2 years ago. On trail camera I thought he might be the same deer. When the velvet peeled he looked a bit small on mass. I couldn't tell a lot on body size or age. The one pic I had made him appear older. Seeing him on the hoof, I am seeing a 2yr old buck. Came to full draw when I had a chance just to practice drawing and also if maybe he looked better once I got to see the whole rack. He didn't look better but he did decide to stop and lock me there at full draw. That was real fun as he sniffed the last couple steps i walked into the stand. Felt great when the muscles started to burn. He finally moved on when I let down. I thought I could let down without getting busted. He must have picked up a bit of the movement. Not sure he knew what it was exactly but he left. Ended up seeing 4 bucks by the end of the night. All of them one to two year old deer.

Hunt time: 3.5hrs
Deer seen: 4

Season totals:
Time on stand: 20hrs
Deer seen: 24