Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 3

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is a nice buck. It is only a mess up if you would be happy with him. Would you be happy with him?

Put a doe on the boards for us yesterday. I am good for a youth hunt yet and another doe at minimum. Hoping for a buck though.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i just couldnt do it quite yet with my vacation starting this saturday, and not even seeing a buck run a doe yet. im hoping it turns on next week, not too mention i had an encountrer with a 160 inch deer the day before 70 yards is all the closer he got.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Good job Phil. Def. Good luck to everyone. Rut vacation starts tomorrow afternoon for me. I really hope I don't regret taking this week off instead of next week.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good job Phil. Def. Good luck to everyone. Rut vacation starts tomorrow afternoon for me. I really hope I don't regret taking this week off instead of next week.

I think you will be alright Wayne. If it hasn't heated up in your area yet, I would almost have to think it will within the next week. The following week might be full of lockdown. Do I know this for a fact? Heck no. Do I say it attempting to make you feel better? Heck yeah. lol

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I had a great hunt Sunday evening. I used my doe decoy and had a nice 125" 8 point dogging a doe around the field close to me. He wouldn't leave the real thing and I ran out of light. He did stop several times and stared at my decoy, but just wouldn't commit

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
havent seen much of the rut yet, after today ill be out for 9 days straight im hoping i picked a good week. my brothers and dad seen a total of 6 bucks and 10 does last night and they all said there was no chasing and the bucks didnt pay much attention to the does.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have felt the same way up until today Bigten. Today the light switch flipped on one property. Yesterday I couldn't even find a young buck cruising. Hang in there fellas! I may end up regretting passing the one I did. Probably 120-130" 8pt. Nice deer, but I wanna be like Flutey and shoot a biggin'.:smiley_blink:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I had a great hunt last night. Seen a small 8 point at 4pm cross from 1 section of woods into another. Then at 4:45, a big 9 point, maybe 130", comes out where that other buck went in. He was slowly feeding right towards me, then began to angle off to my left. He got no closer than 60 yards. I grunted a little, but he'd just stop, then go on again. I tried snort wheeze and thought he was gonna come. Several times I'd do that and he'd turn and take a step, then turn around. Rather than call too much, I watched him check scrapes and feed back towards some does that came from the same area. Eventually they fed my way and he was coming in too. Then, about 5:30, 2 more bucks come out about 500 yards north of me running a doe, and that's all it took to pull him away. So there I am with 8 does under me feeding til well after 6pm. Finally I was able to climb down and leave. I think I'm trying to get outta work early and head back out there tonight

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I went out Monday evening and had 14 does and 3 different smaller bucks feeding around my decoy. I thought for sure 1 of the shooters would show up and I'd be done. I honestly was 100% sure it'd happen. Gotta love it. The circumstances in which we do connect with a big buck is what it's all about. Im taking a groundblind out there this Saturday. There is an area where they have been coming out of and filtering either towards me or a nasty thicket across the field. I have to get closer to it. It's real brushy there, so I think I can do some damage from the ground. With any luck, I'll get it on film, as my buddy Nate is coming along to film

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I hunted all day yesterday seen 8 I never came out. My brother showed up after work hunted for 2 hours and seen 12. Finally seen some chasing today. I've seen 13 so far today. One pretty good buck didn't get a good look at him tho

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Now that Im checking the projected winds, Im gonna audible and pop the blind up just inside the nasty thicket on the NE corner. I just decided to schedule 2 Vacation days for Mon+Tues to try and seal the deal. Im super high on this property producing a high caliber buck for me soon. I think I will have decent enough winds to hunt my other areas where my "redemption" buck is hanging out, hopefully

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad to hear it Ryan. I think my schedule can be my nemesis. Feeling a bit of burnout and it is hot as of late. Going to hit it this afternoon I think. Then I have all day Sat and Sun. Every day is out next week other than midday sits (which I may entertain). The following weekend my wife is having her entire (fugging huge) family to our average sized house for Thanksgiving. I told her I would kindly go hunting to provide more room for her family. She asked why? Like the dick I can be I simply said "So I don't have to deal with them." lol

For clarity, it isn't just my wife's family. Were she to have invited my family. . . I think I would have a similar thought. Jamming a bunch of people into our house is not fun. My sister. . . .is also not pleasant to be around. Feel sorry for her husband. He is a great guy.
Lots of history here. One sibling owes us a lot of money. In laws have continually lied and enabled one of her brothers' drug addictions. We are now raising one of his kids. Other sister in law of hers is just mean, nasty, and rude. I think I would be of more benefit out hunting than attempting to bite my tongue all day. She wants new carpet before they come. I asked her why put in new carpet then let the elephants come tromping thru and drop shit all over it? None of them have new carpet. lol

Last edited:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Phil. My family and my wife's family are as fugged up as the next. Most are leeches, basically sucking up whatever they can get from my Dad, or her Grandparents. In one instance Im glad Im far enough away so I don't have to deal with them regularly, but I think if I was closer to there I would see to it that most of that shit wouldn't happen

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Phil. My family and my wife's family are as fugged up as the next. Most are leeches, basically sucking up whatever they can get from my Dad, or her Grandparents. In one instance Im glad Im far enough away so I don't have to deal with them regularly, but I think if I was closer to there I would see to it that most of that shit wouldn't happen

No you wouldn't. Ryan, some things you just can't change. She is one of seven. Half are great and very grounded, hard working people. Half are riddled with issues. We can't save the world brother. Just be a good example where possible. Going to hit it over the weekend but I just don't know where yet. Been disappointing of late. Does and fawns are back together. I just need to find the lone doe or two which are still "hot".

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
The weather isn't looking promising either for this weekend, especially sunday. I actually switched my 2 vacation days to Tues-Wed instead of Monday. Im hitting up my Hardin County property for the first time tomorrow. Its a rather large piece with lots of tiny 3-4 acre thickets all around it. Im the only one with permission. Im very excited. As far as family goes, it's a tough pill to swallow, watching them use my parents. I probably caused my Dad and Mom more headaches than all combined while growing up, but I've since been cultured by a good woman and family life. The rest have went the other way. Nothing but freeloaders

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Keep at it philly, it will happen. I'll be back in the saddle in the moring. My place has been left alone for 7 days straight

Good luck tomorrow Wayne and Ryan. I will be out again. Feel like I am grasping for straws right now. I feel as though the majority of breeding has taken place. I am seeing does and fawns back together and the properties I have hunted in the last week have not shown many does. I am hunting a property tomorrow with standing corn. No "good" pinch points. I am basically hunting heavily used doe trails tomorrow north of the corn with a south wind. Hoping to get lucky on deer leaving the corn and heading for bedding in the morning or maybe it is time for the bucks to start searching again. Debating whether to try any rattling or not. Thinking of only doing some can calls and random grunts periodically in efforts to draw in something. There are good bucks in the area. There are does in the area. There is standing corn. Pretty much all I can do is put in the seat time.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Good luck tomorrow Wayne and Ryan. I will be out again. Feel like I am grasping for straws right now. I feel as though the majority of breeding has taken place. I am seeing does and fawns back together and the properties I have hunted in the last week have not shown many does. I am hunting a property tomorrow with standing corn. No "good" pinch points. I am basically hunting heavily used doe trails tomorrow north of the corn with a south wind. Hoping to get lucky on deer leaving the corn and heading for bedding in the morning or maybe it is time for the bucks to start searching again. Debating whether to try any rattling or not. Thinking of only doing some can calls and random grunts periodically in efforts to draw in something. There are good bucks in the area. There are does in the area. There is standing corn. Pretty much all I can do is put in the seat time.

Have you tried hunting the field edge in hopes of catching a cruising buck?