Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1968 El Camino Project

rsmith

Coming along amazing! love the idea of bed liner and a vinyl top as well! Some people get so caught up in making everything perfect that once there done they never want to drive the car because they are afraid of messing the paint up or getting the rims dirty or something else. Love the idea of just a daily driver and cant wait to see it when its done! Wish I wasn't 3 1/2 hours away or I would lend a hand with it. Keep the updates coming! One thing I might recommend doing is getting a thing of guide coat and using that on the hood and from the "bump" up running down the fender, door, and bed. It will show you all the little high spots in the primer before paint and will make a huge difference once the paint is put it. I know its not going to be a show car but it will take about a hour to do both sides and will make all the difference when people look at it. It should be the dry guide coat like this http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...9_3oY7M_zluO-DKMRGsXiAu2Z4Sm-shwbkaAnUw8P8HAQ

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
I agree that guide coats or using different colors of primer between coats and sanding makes a big difference. Driver or not, Straight looks much better.
Car is coming along good. Your son is a lucky kid.

Last edited:

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Car project is moving along. This past weekend I was able to adjust some of the gaps and get everything pretty well ready for paint. One of the wrestling parents (I have coached his kids the past 8+ years) has decided he wants to paint the car for me. This has been a great relief for me as I have been having multiple issues with trying to get someone pinned down to do the paint. He is going to get started with it this weekend while I am out of town. He will be prepping and painting in my shop which I like so I know exactly where it is in the process.

I went to the paint supply store at lunch today and picked up everything (I hope) that will be needed to get it primed and painted and ready to put back together.

I will make sure to post pictures as we go through the paint process.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
The color will be Matador red with black racing stripes on the hood. For anyone that is not sure what Matador red is. It is a deep dark red. Darker than Candy apple red.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Well tonight we worked some more on the body. As with anything we keep finding spots that we think need some more work. We took the back glass out and worked on that area some. Then we worked on the door jams and got them a little better. Still thinking it can be painted this next week.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Well tonight we worked some more on the body. As with anything we keep finding spots that we think need some more work. We took the back glass out and worked on that area some. Then we worked on the door jams and got them a little better. Still thinking it can be painted this next week.

Always goes slower then you want it to. But getting it straight is worth the wait.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
It continues to keep moving. This weekend my wife and I headed to Tennessee. Saturday we got a text from a friend that was at our house using the pool. She said there were several guys up in the barn working on the car. Matt had a couple of his buddies out there and they were getting things done.
I got home yesterday afternoon and went up to the barn to check it out. They got a lot done. The car is now in primer. We will start the sanding process tonight.
Hopefully it will be under color in a few days.

Primed5.jpg
Primed4.jpg
Primed3.jpg
Primed2.jpg
Primed1.jpg

Man that's looking great! I remember working on an old '79 Blazer with my dad, was my first vehicle. At first I hated having to do all the sanding and all on it but I'll be honest those were some of the greatest memories we have made together.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome! I see a boat missing in the pictures. Hope you all had a great get away. Car is looking terrific!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Awesome! I see a boat missing in the pictures. Hope you all had a great get away. Car is looking terrific!

Yep. Boat is back in Tennessee. We had a good time. My sister and her husband met us there and spent the weekend with us. We got out on the water all day Saturday and I got some work done on the cabin so it was a good time.

Now I just need to move some more stuff around so I can hang some plastic to make a temporary paint booth back in the back part.