Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2010/2011 TOO Daily Coyote Hunting log

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What type of call you using???? Rabbit distress or mating calls? Have you had any luck with the wood pecker and do you use a decoy?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Mike,

You want some help killing them?

I'm not sure we can get at them. I think they reside mostly on county owned land. I have never seen a single one, only heard them. This is that property in Williams Co. that you have a map of.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
If it's county owned land then most likely somebody could take a "nature walk" without a gun and get them out of there onto where you could be posted up........just a thought.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
J- We have been mixing it up. Lots of luck lately with different howls and male aggressive howls/barks. Have also tried some of the standard rabbit in distress. Have not been using the decoys lately as it has been night hunting. We just run the distress calls a minute or so and shut them down. Turn it back on, maybe fluctuate the volume, or just mix it up. Have not been leaving the caller running non-stop though.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Well, another pair bit the dust last evening!!!!

I got another tip from a plow driver where he saw a pair of yotes in the morning. I got the troops rounded up and went in on the tracks. I got about 2/3 through the section and jumped both of them laying on a snowbank on a heavy fencerow. My uncle was posted up in a creek to the north of the fencerow and the pair ran straight toward him and split just before they got to him, but the female ended up coming within range of him and he dropped her! The male circled the section and crossed the west road of the section and headed into a 40 acre tall corn stubble field. I stayed on his track and took him about a mile into the next section west. He zigzagged through the field and I eventually spotted him laying about 100 yards away before he saw me (these corn stalks are 3-4 feet high). I put the super sneaks on him and stayed just on the downwind side of him and got to within 40 yards. I pulled up and shot him with the #4 BUCK and rolled him right out of his bed, and had to do a follow up shot to keep him down!

It was a beautiful red and black male that will weigh over 40 lbs.

That makes numbers 19 and 20 on the year, and that makes my 12th coyote of the year. The most I have ever killed in a year was 10, and I have done that few times...
We still have a good 3 weeks of hunting left!

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
My uncle and his crew killed 6 this past weekend, didn't get any details yet, just a crappy cell phone pic with them laying in the snow.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have a few more yotes located for this weekend very close to my house. If anybody wants to go along let me know. I will be going after them on Saturday. The deep snow has them pushed into the big creek sections now, its some very fun hunting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Went out last night with high hopes. There are a few places people have been seeing them in the evenings last week. We hunted those places but had no sightings or audible responses. The wind kept picking up all night too. Made three stands and called it quits.

Good news: Locked down another 120acre property where a guy is just about begging us to hunt them. He raises GSP's and trains them to run trials and hunts them off horses. With dogs and horses being his hobbies, he wants the coyotes gone.

Bad news: Snow is going to melt this week.

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Here is a picture of the lineup from the last 10 days..........

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Went this morning for a quick set before checking on the guys. Called a pair in but I would have been shooting towards a house with what they gave me. Dang Howa is hungry and I can't find the time to get out like I should.

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Went out last night to a farm I have permission on. When I left the house the moon was bright and full so I took the AR. When I got there the clouds had rolled in but you could still see in the fields. The field I'm hunting is a cow pasture but the cows are in the barn. Slightly rolling with woods on the far end..

I set out my quivering rabbit decoy with 2 turkey feathers stuck in it's head like giant ears.. I could hear a pack of yotes sounding off in the woods 400 yards away across the field.... NICE.. This may come together.... I walked back and sat down about 50 yards away in a fence row.. The deek looked good flopping around with the feathers flailing. .. I took out my crow call, bit the reed, and started squalling while watching the far side where i heard the yotes moments ago.. Any moment i expected to see a full pack bust out towards me... I wasn't 15 seconds into the calling and WTF IS THAT... Two yotes came hauling ass from my direct left passing only about 20 yards from me but i was against a big tree and didn't see them until they got to the deek and stopped about 3 feet shy of it, For a split second they sniffed it, and took back off hauling straight away towards the other woods.. I got my crap together and the rifle up and they were 100 yards off. BANG.. Rolled him. Shifted to the second one. Now at about 200 yards. Bang.. miss. Bang.. miss.. Bang. miss.. He makes it in the woods... I look back at the first one and he's gone.. Hmm.. Fugger.. Where did he go?

Unable to find him i just smiled and said "your dead anyway"

I moved to the other side of the woods that i could hear the yotes in before and got in another field. Set out the deek, and walked back to the fence row.. I forgot about the creek.. I walked down the bank looking for a place to cross as the snow melt had the creek running hard.... Then... Well then the bank gave way under foot.. I dropped about 3 feet into the water that was roughly up to my chest with Ice chunks flowing by.. Instinctively my AR was above my head safe and dry (funny how you never really forget military training) i laid my rifle on the bank and hopped back out laughing my ass off and soaked to the bone. Then I started laughing harder.. Dumbass! Why didn't you get out on the other side! It was just as close and you were already in the water! lmao I just kinda shrugged, picked up my rifle and jumped back in.. I got setup and only called for about 15 min... Nothing.. No surprise.. lol... Back across the creek and back to the truck..

An awesome night though! I drilled one, had an in your lap experience, and took a quick swim.. It was far better than the last time I went night hunting 2 years ago when i swore i would never go again...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Went out last night to a farm I have permission on. When I left the house the moon was bright and full so I took the AR. When I got there the clouds had rolled in but you could still see in the fields. The field I'm hunting is a cow pasture but the cows are in the barn. Slightly rolling with woods on the far end..

I set out my quivering rabbit decoy with 2 turkey feathers stuck in it's head like giant ears.. I could hear a pack of yotes sounding off in the woods 400 yards away across the field.... NICE.. This may come together.... I walked back and sat down about 50 yards away in a fence row.. The deek looked good flopping around with the feathers flailing. .. I took out my crow call, bit the reed, and started squalling while watching the far side where i heard the yotes moments ago.. Any moment i expected to see a full pack bust out towards me... I wasn't 15 seconds into the calling and WTF IS THAT... Two yotes came hauling ass from my direct left passing only about 20 yards from me but i was against a big tree and didn't see them until they got to the deek and stopped about 3 feet shy of it, For a split second they sniffed it, and took back off hauling straight away towards the other woods.. I got my crap together and the rifle up and they were 100 yards off. BANG.. Rolled him. Shifted to the second one. Now at about 200 yards. Bang.. miss. Bang.. miss.. Bang. miss.. He makes it in the woods... I look back at the first one and he's gone.. Hmm.. Fugger.. Where did he go?

I moved to the other side of the woods that i could hear the yotes in before and got in another field. Set out the deek, and walked back to the fence row.. I forgot about the creek.. I walked down the bank looking for a place to cross as the snow melt had the creek running hard.... Then... Well then the bank gave way under foot.. I dropped about 3 feet into the water that was roughly up to my chest with Ice chunks flowing by.. Instinctively my AR was above my head safe and dry (funny how you never really forget military training) i laid my rifle on the bank and hopped back out laughing my ass off and soaked to the bone. Then I started laughing harder.. Dumbass! Why didn't you get out on the other side! It was just as close and you were already in the water! lmao I just kinda shrugged, picked up my rifle and jumped back in.. I got setup and only called for about 15 min... Nothing.. No surprise.. lol... Back across the creek and back to the truck..

An awesome night though! I drilled one, had an in your lap experience, and took a quick swim.. It was far better than the last time I went night hunting 2 years ago when i swore i would never go again...

Sounds like an exciting night that's for sure!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra