Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 Coyote Harvest Thread

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice work, Chad. How in the world do you track a yote 6 miles in a line? Do you have that much permission to yote hunt? I would suspect I could get quite a bit, but dang 6 miles would take me across a couple of highways. Heck of an effort and well deserved yote!

FredT

SE Ohio
The second coyote was much easier, tracked him into a tall corn stubble and jumped him about a half mile out....shot him running like a rabbit at about 50 yards!

What shotgun load do you use? I have some 3" 12 #4 buckshot I want to try. Have not paterned it yet. My 11-87 is usually a very good buckshot shooter.

I want to load some #4 buck in my SP10, but that is a heavy gun to march 6.5 miles with.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice work Chad! Wish we were having more success around here. Time has not been available. When I have time, there is no snow on the ground. Makes it tougher. I might get the kids on the bus tomorrow and try some calling around 9am. A bit late, but you never know unless you go. If I don't hit it in the morning, the snow will be gone by afternoon.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nice work, Chad. How in the world do you track a yote 6 miles in a line? Do you have that much permission to yote hunt? I would suspect I could get quite a bit, but dang 6 miles would take me across a couple of highways. Heck of an effort and well deserved yote!

Brock, the area that coyote was in there wasn't a single woods for about 8 miles or more. Nothing but open fields and ditches. He went straight west for the first 4 miles, then went south for a mile, then went Northwest and then west the next mile and a half. I crossed several township and county roads along the way, and the state line in the end. When I get on a hot track I am like a hound dog.....I'm not likely coming out until he is dead or I am too tired to go on. Usually it only takes a mile or 2 before they are located, but this one yesterday decided he would head for Indiana. Something else I forgot to mention is that where he was laying there were about 15 deer bedded in some tall cornstalks about 1/4 mile north of where he was at.....I bet he was keeping an eye on those deer.

Yes on the permission. There are only 2 people in that whole area that give us a no on hunting coyotes, one of the guys don't even own any land, he just likes to be a dickhead. Anyhow, I wasn't close to their property. Most of the land up here is farmed by HUGE farmers, and we know nearly all the landowners.... so getting permission on big tracts of land isn't a problem for yotes. I would say there is a 98% kill them all mentality around home.:smiley_coolpeace:

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
What shotgun load do you use? I have some 3" 12 #4 buckshot I want to try. Have not paterned it yet. My 11-87 is usually a very good buckshot shooter.

I want to load some #4 buck in my SP10, but that is a heavy gun to march 6.5 miles with.

Remington #4 BUCK in a 3" shell. There are 41 pellets in that load. My uncle has an 11-87 that he uses with this load and it works great, other than his gun seems to jam quite a bit when it is real cold. I have a Benelli pump and it knocks the crap out of them.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Do you and your uncle keep in contact via cell or something? Surely you don't just dump one out and hope the yote runs to them blindly as the other tracks him down right?