Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
More social conditioning

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1590326390015.jpg
    FB_IMG_1590326390015.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 215
Reactions: Jamie

Blan37

SW Ohio
dang. so now if I don't wear a mask, I don't care about other people? and if I get sick I deserve it because I don't behave like you? is that what you actually meant? that, sir, is VIRTUE SIGNALING by definition. SMDH. this shit show is so upside down and backwards now it isn't worth discussing.
No one wants anyone to get sick. Hope you decide to stick around the thread and continue to participate. I like reading your thoughts on things and I know others do too.

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
thanks, but I just don't really have anything else meaningful to add here. I'm not in the business of health care or politics. I'm just a schlub house painter on the internet with an opinion. I've been completely indifferent to this whole affair since the middle of April. I am as over this as I can be. after four weeks of fear mongering by the media and the overreach of government, it wasn't hard to see that this was not going to be anything remotely close to the health crisis everyone feared early on. nearly 40 fucking million people unemployed over this is unacceptable. the losses of small businesses are incalculable. ultimately, more lives will be wrecked by the actions of our government under the guise of keeping us all safe than by the damned virus. this is what people should really be afraid of. for about two weeks early on I had my guard up seriously, but that was it for me. I didn't stay home for one second because of this pandemic. Sure, early on I was on high alert when out in a public place like the grocery or hardware store, washed hands even more often, wiped down the truck and things I touched with Clorox wipes after being out. I'm more afraid of falling off a ladder or a roof while I'm working everyday than catching this virus, never mind actually getting sick or dying from it. this is simply not killing healthy people enough to amount to anything worth fretting over, imo. It is hard for me to comprehend why so many perfectly healthy people are so afraid, but it turns my stomach. I sympathize with people who are at a high risk for whatever reason. they should be taking every precaution necessary, including laying low as much as possible for as long as they deem necessary. That is their responsibility. So, please don't put it on me to look out for everyone else's health concerns while I'm out in public. That is their job, and none of my damn business. I'll take care of me and mine, and happily keep my distance from all of you and yours for as long as you like, but that is as far as it's going to go for me. I'm not going to wear a mask in public. I don't need to, want to, feel any moral obligation to, and I damn sure don't have to. I have not wrangled with this at all, and I sleep just fine at night. My parents and in-laws are all in their 70's, up to 80, so I get it. I won't put them at risk. If they choose to go out in public, they better be prepared. they are grown ass people, and they know the danger. If they have to be close to me, I'll be donning proper PPE for their protection if they so desire.

I guess I had something else to add. whether it's meaningful or not is up to the reader.

Bowkills

Nw oh
thanks, but I just don't really have anything else meaningful to add here. I'm not in the business of health care or politics. I'm just a schlub house painter on the internet with an opinion. I've been completely indifferent to this whole affair since the middle of April. I am as over this as I can be. after four weeks of fear mongering by the media and the overreach of government, it wasn't hard to see that this was not going to be anything remotely close to the health crisis everyone feared early on. nearly 40 fucking million people unemployed over this is unacceptable. the losses of small businesses are incalculable. ultimately, more lives will be wrecked by the actions of our government under the guise of keeping us all safe than by the damned virus. this is what people should really be afraid of. for about two weeks early on I had my guard up seriously, but that was it for me. I didn't stay home for one second because of this pandemic. Sure, early on I was on high alert when out in a public place like the grocery or hardware store, washed hands even more often, wiped down the truck and things I touched with Clorox wipes after being out. I'm more afraid of falling off a ladder or a roof while I'm working everyday than catching this virus, never mind actually getting sick or dying from it. this is simply not killing healthy people enough to amount to anything worth fretting over, imo. It is hard for me to comprehend why so many perfectly healthy people are so afraid, but it turns my stomach. I sympathize with people who are at a high risk for whatever reason. they should be taking every precaution necessary, including laying low as much as possible for as long as they deem necessary. That is their responsibility. So, please don't put it on me to look out for everyone else's health concerns while I'm out in public. That is their job, and none of my damn business. I'll take care of me and mine, and happily keep my distance from all of you and yours for as long as you like, but that is as far as it's going to go for me. I'm not going to wear a mask in public. I don't need to, want to, feel any moral obligation to, and I damn sure don't have to. I have not wrangled with this at all, and I sleep just fine at night. My parents and in-laws are all in their 70's, up to 80, so I get it. I won't put them at risk. If they choose to go out in public, they better be prepared. they are grown ass people, and they know the danger. If they have to be close to me, I'll be donning proper PPE for their protection if they so desire.

I guess I had something else to add. whether it's meaningful or not is up to the reader.
Bingo👆!

Reactions: finelyshedded

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Excellent post, you’ve pretty much covered how the wife and I have approached this debacle....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Jamie, I hear ya! Well posted! I still do my best to protect Karissa and her main caretaker my lovely wife and her sis and my FIL but I’m with ya buddy...👍🏻

Reactions: "J"

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Some interesting data going on in other countries where it just sort of dropped off and even here in the US. From my early reading, a virus tends to be pretty crappy at replicating itself. Most of the DNA strands it replicates by inserting itself in the host DNA turn out to be worthless. It's seriously just throwing numbers at the wall and hoping enough of them stick. Each person that gets infected the virus changes a little. The vast majority of time it changes and becomes weaker. The human immune system messes with it and it just becomes crappier and crappier the further down the line it goes. Some viruses like the Flu are good at adapting, but most aren't. After the 5th or 10th or 15th person in an infection chain it may be so crappy that it just can't effectively replicate and be as contagious. So patient 0 may be super effective at transmission, patient 15 might be barely contagious. My theory is through quarantine we limited the lateral spread of direct early infection (1st gen hosts) and forced vertical infections. That may be why we're seeing infections drop despite reopening. Let's say Dad got sick and the family immediately isolated, then Mom, then Sister, then Brother, the virus was 2-4 people down the host infection line before uncle bobby got it later after everyone in the house had it. That means uncle bobby was host 2 of 4 and his family would be hosts 3-6 and so on. This is a very different infection pattern than what we saw early on where there was a broad lateral transmission among first-generation hosts. The R value here in ohio has now dropped below 1 according to state data. So that means that the virus will not be able to realistically sustain a rate of infection and will burn out. We'll see if it resurges in the fall, but for now all signs point to a virus that is burning out.