Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Masks are not the answer. Why? Not enough people believe they are the answer. Just drove from Ohio to SD to MT and WY and back. In bigger cities I saw more wearing masks. In SD and MT saw nearly zero masks being worn. Des Moines and Iowa City is where we stayed going out and coming back. Less than 50% mask usage. Further west maybe 10-30% mask wearing. We only wore them IF we had to go somewhere people were more heavily populated. No need in your vehicle sight seeing or pull off to take pics. Went in a couple gift shops/visitor centers and wore them. Jackson Hole, WY was busy. We wore masks. Probably 50-75% of people had them there in tshirts shop. Less on the streets. It was silly. We did our best to not spend much time in these type places. Carried hand sanitizer with us as well. Did a lot of hand and cell phone cleaning.

When the majority of tourists aren't practicing this stuff. . . .it isn't going to work.
Had a workman in the house tday i was masked up and gave him one and he put it on - wtf

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If people wearing masks wore them properly and weren't constantly touching their germ soaked masks, I might fall in line. But 75% of the people I see wearing them, aren't covering both mouth and nose, and frankly, masks are causing more hand-to-face contact than anyone cares to admit.

I'm also an inconsiderate asshole who doesn't like to be told what to do, so there's that reason, also.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Fox News just ran this story about a new study of Hydroxychloroquine:

Researchers at the Henry Ford Health System in Southeast Michigan have found that early administration of the drug hydroxychloroquine makes hospitalized patients substantially less likely to die.

The study, published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, determined that hydroxychloroquine provided a "66% hazard ratio reduction," and hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin a 71 percent reduction, compared to neither treatment.

In-hospital mortality was 18.1 percent with both drugs, 13.5 percent with just hydroxychloroquine, 22.4 percent with azithromycin alone, and 26.4 percent with neither drug. "Prospective trials are needed" for further review, the researchers note.

"Our results do differ from some other studies," Dr. Marcus Zervos, who heads the hospital's infectious diseases unit, said at a news conference. "What we think was important in ours ... is that patients were treated early. For hydroxychloroquine to have a benefit, it needs to begin before the patients begin to suffer some of the severe immune reactions that patients can have with COVID."

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hydroxychloroquine-helped-save-coronavirus-study

edit: CNN is eating crow

1593806077513.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamie and Big_Holla

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Fox News just ran this story about a new study of Hydroxychloroquine:

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hydroxychloroquine-helped-save-coronavirus-study
If people wearing masks wore them properly and weren't constantly touching their germ soaked masks, I might fall in line. But 75% of the people I see wearing them, aren't covering both mouth and nose, and frankly, masks are causing more hand-to-face contact than anyone cares to admit.

I'm also an inconsiderate asshole who doesn't like to be told what to do, so there's that reason, also.
Eat your carrots

Isaacorps

Columbus

7F19B54C-03B7-473C-BECD-408197C970A7.jpeg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Finally got a report today, and it’s a good one. They are expected to be released Sunday. I’m hesitant to post that they are improving because so far every time I have one of them went downhill quick. Both are apparently on just 1 lt of O2, sitting up and eating a bit. So very good news vs the last report.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Serious question, the virus is going to spread, no amount of mask wearing is going to stop it; slow it yes.

My mother is very high risk so I keep her at home, avoid lots of contact with her.

I just don’t see the point of all the mask wearing for a virus that has a low mortality rate.
if you are older or at high risk it is your responsibility to protect yourself.

We can wear all the masks we want, but people are touching doors, shopping carts, pinpads, cash, all kinds of items. Now as was stated before if masks are worn correctly, people using gloves correctly, we are still only going to slow it down.

Reactions: hickslawns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All great points. My mom asked me to come over and do stuff. Good health. Recovering from a new knee replacement. I told her I have no issues stopping for outside work, but stay on the porch and away from me. We just got back. I'm minimizing my contact with everyone I can. That is the best I can do. I will do a semi-quarantine where I go thru drive thru at the bank, pay for gas at the pump, etc. The best we can do is our own best common sense to reduce chances of getting it or spreading it if we have it and are asymptomatic.