Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
With the new line drawn in the sand by Dewine of 50 cases per 100K over 2wks, and current level at 179cases/100K....whats your best guess for time frame to meet the goal. And, do your really 5hink it will be business as usual once reached?

My guesses:
1. Reach 50/100K in July '21
2. Masks until mid 2022, but feel they won't completely disappear. I am guessing they will be required if an outside visitor to high risk areas such as nursing homes, hospitals, etc. I can only pray that large public events, whether inside or out, do not require them.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I'd say your predictions are similar to my expectations, Adam. I do think it will get a little ugly as we approach and move under the line. I can't help but wonder what goofy ass restrictions will still be in place

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
With the new line drawn in the sand by Dewine of 50 cases per 100K over 2wks, and current level at 179cases/100K....whats your best guess for time frame to meet the goal. And, do your really 5hink it will be business as usual once reached?

My guesses:
1. Reach 50/100K in July '21
2. Masks until mid 2022, but feel they won't completely disappear. I am guessing they will be required if an outside visitor to high risk areas such as nursing homes, hospitals, etc. I can only pray that large public events, whether inside or out, do not require them.

This is complete lunacy. You can't set a metric based on cases unless your testing program is tighter than a frogs ass. If it's not then it's a pretty worthless goal. Say it dips to 40 cases per 100k and they ease restrictions, then Ohio get a new shipment of test and doctors stop rationing the supply and it jumps to 75 per 100k. The politician will say "see we eased restrictions and cases spiked". No you fucktard you simply sampled more.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I mean lets just do the math on it.

There are far too many variables. 50 cases per 100k is only 5,845 cases every two weeks in a state with a population of 11.69 million. The fatality rate by known cases in the US is currently 1.8%. That would be 2,468 yearly deaths at the 50K per 100k mark. To put that in perspective 26,000 Ohioans die from heart disease each year, yet I don't see Dewine destroying his state to make sure everyone gets a ekg and mandate everyone to eat cheerios. Basically he's saying, we will not reopen until the yearly covid death rate is ten times less than the yearly heart disease death rate.

You may be 10 times more likely to die of a heart attack, but dammit you won't get covid on my watch, so keep eating those chicken wings, burgers, and carrying an extra 50 pounds, just make sure to wear a mask and eat outdoors when you do, because we want you to be safe. and pay no attention to the fact that 30% of all cancer deaths in ohio can be attributed to cigarettes, or that 20k per year die from smoking related illness, as long as you're paying that tax per pack we'll look the other way and let you have your freedom, just wear a mask when you have that smoke.

Last edited:

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
I mean lets just do the math on it.

There are far too many variables. 50 cases per 100k is only 5,845 cases every two weeks in a state with a population of 11.69 million. The fatality rate by known cases in the US is currently 1.8%. That would be 2,468 yearly deaths at the 50K per 100k mark. To put that in perspective 26,000 Ohioans die from heart disease each year, yet I don't see Dewine destroying his state to make sure everyone gets a ekg and mandate everyone to eat cheerios. Basically he's saying, we will not reopen until the yearly covid death rate is ten times less than the yearly heart disease death rate.

You may be 10 times more likely to die of a heart attack, but dammit you won't get covid on my watch, so keep eating those chicken wings, burgers, and carrying an extra 50 pounds, just make sure to wear a mask and eat outdoors when you do, because we want you to be safe. and pay no attention to the fact that 30% of all cancer deaths in ohio can be attributed to cigarettes, or that 20k per year die from smoking related illness, as long as you're paying that tax per pack we'll look the other way and let you have your freedom, just wear a mask when you have that smoke.
Yeah but heart attacks and cancer are not contagious - eat your wings and stuff and smoke - but covid is so don't slobber on me - dang

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah but heart attacks and cancer are not contagious - eat your wings and stuff and smoke - but covid is so don't slobber on me - dang

Or, people with risk factors could exercise personal responsibility and avoid situations that put them at risk. And if that risk is raised in certain situations they can take appropriate personal safety measures like wearing a mask. Like the people who worry about cancer or heart attacks take personal responsibility and don't smoke or eat cheeseburgers. This whole notion that it's everyone's job to suffer, have their careers destroyed, see their business ruined, and upend an entire nations economy because someone has a risk factor is garbage. That's like saying that because heart disease continues to kill 10x more people than covid we're banning all unhealthy foods and closing down every business that serves it because it's obvious that people can't practice personal responsibility. Or we're going to cure the obesity epidemic by banning every single unhealthy food, and all you other people can just get over the loss of wealth, careers, and businesses.

As Tate Reeves said this week when he lifted our mask order. "The governor’s office is getting out of the business of telling people what they can and cannot do".

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My mom had a lung biopsy yesterday. She's never smoked, but her mom and sister smoked 2 packs a day. If my mom has lung cancer, where's the outrage over RJ Reynolds and Philip Morris? Won't be any.