Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Since Aug. 15, 29,000 Ohio school-aged children have contracted COVID-19. This surge of cases is nearly a 200 percent increase from August to September

Is this right ?

Jamie

Ohio
who is testing all these kids, and people in general, by the thousands every single day for the last month? getting harder and harder to swallow these inflated numbers.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
As someone with a young child in school, they are using what's merely a common cold or at worst, a mild flu amongst kids, to fuel their fear machine. Of course it's spreading! Their immune systems are compromised from segregation and masking last year, so they're susceptible to the spread of any infection right now. Hand, foot, and mouth is spreading like crazy too and no one remembers when that was truly an issue. IMO, the current spread of the virus through kids is a good thing assuming no deaths and/or long-term effects and it's building antibodies and bringing their immune systems back to where they need to be.

Snyder10

Teacher here, and heres what I can tell you. Every year kids get sick the first couple weeks when we come back and the first couple weeks back from Christmas break. For the last 2 years, if a student shows 2 or more symptoms, its automatic 7 days quarantine until the test negative (which could be multiple tests). SO...runny nose/headache..bam..quarantine. We're up to 8 positive cases (8 all of last school year) and nothing more than cold-related symptoms. Parents cant find ways to stay home with their kids for a week, so they head straight to get a covid test. We've had close to 90 kids in quarantine..in a JH/HS of about 250. SO, its been a mess.

Id love to hear from someone who has connections to Dayton Children's as to how sick the kids are who are coming in and being hospitalized.

Geezer II

portage county oh
Teacher here, and heres what I can tell you. Every year kids get sick the first couple weeks when we come back and the first couple weeks back from Christmas break. For the last 2 years, if a student shows 2 or more symptoms, its automatic 7 days quarantine until the test negative (which could be multiple tests). SO...runny nose/headache..bam..quarantine. We're up to 8 positive cases (8 all of last school year) and nothing more than cold-related symptoms. Parents cant find ways to stay home with their kids for a week, so they head straight to get a covid test. We've had close to 90 kids in quarantine..in a JH/HS of about 250. SO, its been a mess.

Id love to hear from someone who has connections to Dayton Children's as to how sick the kids are who are coming in and being hospitalized.

If there being hospitalized must be pretty sick

Geezer II

portage county oh
Just today, Dayton Children’s Hospital says they only had two beds available for kids excluding NICU and behavioral health beds. Dayton Children’s leaders say this demand is creating an unsustainable pressure on staff.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
who is testing all these kids, and people in general, by the thousands every single day for the last month? getting harder and harder to swallow these inflated numbers.
Parents who don't want their kid sitting at home while they could be in school.

I suppose my son's loss of smell and positive test result is one of the statistics. Yep. Lost his smell. That's it. But now is a "school aged positive test" result. He's a senior this year.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jamie

Ohio
what I was asking is who is actually administering all of these tests and reporting the results, not why they are being tested.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
As some of you know, I'm married to a cath lab nurse and the shit is absolutely hitting the fan right now and the strain put on them is somewhat COVID-related, and very much self-inflicted. She's the senior nurse in the lab with 3 years of experience and they've never been fully staffed the entire time she's been there. The nursing shortage was real long before it was highly publicized. The other local hospital, owned by WVU Medicine, ran out of oxygen yesterday and is now on diversion. It's an absolute nightmare there right now and it's being blamed on the unvaccinated, rather than looking at ALL the variables that have lead to this set of circumstances. She's also 5 months pregnant, so you can imagine the strain she's under in addition to what it would be without that being factored in.

And, fun fact, they have 16 nurses in the lab. It's a 50/50 split between vax'd and unvax'd. They're down 4 nurses right now due to positive tests. All 4 are vaccinated. :rolleyes:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
what I was asking is who is actually administering all of these tests and reporting the results, not why they are being tested.

Most pharmacy drive thru a will administer for free. In our case, we were exposed. Took my son and I to be tested a few days later. Both negative. Next day wife and daughter got symptoms. One had cough. One lost smell. They were tested and positive. 3-5 days after that son lost smell. Tested again and was positive. For us? Easier to get a free test and lay low a couple days to ensure we could go about life if negative test results.

Reactions: Big_Holla and Jamie