Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2020 Spring Turkey Thread

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm as fired up this year for turkey season as I've ever been. And I don't really consider myself a "turkey hunter." I hunt turkeys, but I'm not a turkey hunter. LOL The Hunting Public turkey tour has been keeping me extremely motivated so far. I'm already talking to a couple buddies about a long-weekend southern Ohio trip. I do have quite a bit of area knowledge of the Burr Oak / Wildcat Hollow areas, but if anyone has any better ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

lung buster

hocking county
20200312_130037.jpg

Been seeing these guy's about every day for the last couple of weeks....definitely happening and will probably be shutting down by the opener...the 3rd and 4th week of the season may be pretty rough....

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I am ready to chase some birds... patterned my turkey gun last week and scouted two farms yesterday. I have one more place I need to ask permission for.
I'm as fired up this year for turkey season as I've ever been. And I don't really consider myself a "turkey hunter." I hunt turkeys, but I'm not a turkey hunter. LOL The Hunting Public turkey tour has been keeping me extremely motivated so far. I'm already talking to a couple buddies about a long-weekend southern Ohio trip. I do have quite a bit of area knowledge of the Burr Oak / Wildcat Hollow areas, but if anyone has any better ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.
What weekend are you heading down? I am going with a couple buddies the first of May.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
im starting this weekend in Tennessee. we werent gonna go with all this crap going on but after talking to my buddies that live down their were going. literally only around 3 or 4 people at the most down there. the most interaction we have with anyone else is at the gas station. 90 percent of the time we are in the woods almost all day. obviously if any one of us starts to feel sick we wont go but for now its a go. ill be spending 10 days down there this year not the usual 3 or 4 so i am hoping to tag out or get close to tagging out. i need some fresh mountain air to regroup from whats going on and to relax from work.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am ready to chase some birds... patterned my turkey gun last week and scouted two farms yesterday. I have one more place I need to ask permission for.

What weekend are you heading down? I am going with a couple buddies the first of May.
Haven't decided yet. It'll likely be a last minute decision based on work and family obligations.

Maxxis31

Deer wood's
Birds have been strutting here in VT for 2 months now, the Toms will put on a show and try what they can but i have to say the hens are far from being receptive to breed, so that being said your season should be fine when its time to chase them in the turkey woods, mother nature controls it all,day light hours are important for the hens when it comes to mating, may be a few early breeders but the majority will happen as normal.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason has already called in dozens of birds. He’s been up listening at different locations most every morning. He got us permission on a little piece next to his grandmas house where he claims he’s heard as many as 10 gobbling at a time. We are going down to talk with the landowner and have a look around this evening.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Things are status quo so far here. I’ve had 6 Toms regularly, a few jakes and up to 35 hens. 4 of the Toms are older birds with spurs pushing 1.5”. They haven’t seemed to be roosting on my 100 acres much though. I have some great videos but no internet at the new home..... sorry @aholdren
I’m supposed to go hunt with Joseph in NC in 2 weeks but that’s looking sketchy right now.

Reactions: aholdren

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Things are status quo so far here. I’ve had 6 Toms regularly, a few jakes and up to 35 hens. 4 of the Toms are older birds with spurs pushing 1.5”. They haven’t seemed to be roosting on my 100 acres much though. I have some great videos but no internet at the new home..... sorry @aholdren
I’m supposed to go hunt with Joseph in NC in 2 weeks but that’s looking sketchy right now.
Go to Tyler’s and post it LOL!!! I knew I liked him better!!!

Reactions: Spencie

Bigcountry40

What does everyone think- Will there be more or less hunters out for Ohio turkey season due to the virus. I plan on hunting hard this spring, I have only killed one bird (jake) my entire life and it was in the south on a farm where it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Some people love and couldn't imagine not hunting them, I've called some in shot them full strut gobblin I don't get a that feeling u all must get. I'll deep fry a butterball in honor of u diehards this year, but I won't be joining the chase. 🖕🏻turkeys

Reactions: giles and aholdren