Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 Rut Report. What County? Conditions?

toke2

So right at dusk tonight.... big ole hog was dogging a female who just wasn't havin it. He chased, stopped, rested, and then started all over again and again. He was persistent, but kept getting denied. One last attempt, that I thought was going to work, then out of nowhere....... My son yelled at me "...Dad what are you DOING??!! Leave Mom alone! Can't you see you are annoying her?....". Didn't know he was home. Skunked again. I guess it's "a little early" here. I might as well get out and try some hunting.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Ive yet to see the lightswitch flip. Most years its happened by now. Still waiting for a morning to find locked down pairs with dominate bucks all over. Ive seen areas have hot does here and there but most years a day will happen when its all over the place. 30 degree temp drop should at least get normal movement going at least.....

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Ive yet to see the lightswitch flip. Most years its happened by now. Still waiting for a morning to find locked down pairs with dominate bucks all over. Ive seen areas have hot does here and there but most years a day will happen when its all over the place. 30 degree temp drop should at least get normal movement going at least.....
That’s what I’ve witnessed. A few young bucks chasing but not a steady rut behavior this year. Could be the weather? Dunno. Anyway, that’s my excuse why I haven’t killed a buck 😆 Global warming for sure 🤪

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The weather has been more appropriate in SE Ohio this year compared to last except for the last 2 afternoons but the action has been a lot less. Last year was the best rut activity overall I have ever seen. With that said I hear deer running as I type.

Last edited:

Isaacorps

Columbus
Very slow in Lawrence county 11/4-11/8. Only 1 guy in our group saw any “rut” activity. He had a handful of of small bucks running a doe 1 day. I saw lots of does with their fawns still, 2 bucks all weekend.

Reagan

Milford, OH
Wednesday thru Sunday I hunted Vinton and Jackson counties. I saw a nice buck and sometimes two each morning. Some were tending a hot doe, some cruising and one was an all out chase.

Evening hunts were slow. Most of the time no bucks were seen and the couple nights I saw any antlers, they were small and young.

Monday no bucks seen. Tuesday I had one young buck hit the trail of two does and track them like a hound.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I think tomorrow mornin, Saturday - November 13th, is going to be for the taking and totally ripe, with a rain/snow mix starting off in the very early mornin, at the 5:00 a.m. hour, then turning to some real cool cloudy conditions for rest of the day with a stiff West wind by midafternoon. That's when I truly expect the full rut action to kick off in my area of Ross Co. Next week, during the weekdays will be prime going all the way through the entire weekend 'TOO'!

Last edited:

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Little report out of guernsey for people interested. Chasing like crazy this morning. Bucks in almost every field chasing and tending does on the way to work. My cameras I have out(four cells) show tons of night time chasing going on for the past three nights, the rest is mid day movement. If I was a betting man I would say tonight/ tomorrow morning will be the day that patterns change, more frequent all day movement from bigger bucks and does in heat. Find your most comfortable stand to hunt transitional zones, and pinch points that funnel does and make sure you boys shoot straight!! Good luck this weekend guys! Oak is headed to the taxidermist at 11. Then I’m on doe patrol on public the rest of the day!

Reactions: Isaacorps

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sandusky County - Still some seeking and chasing, but for the most part, if there’s a hot doe she’s locked down with a mature buck right now. Young bucks and fawns wandering aimlessly. You’re either on a big deer, or you’re not. They aren’t traveling much right now.

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Sandusky County - Still some seeking and chasing, but for the most part, if there’s a hot doe she’s locked down with a mature buck right now. Young bucks and fawns wandering aimlessly. You’re either on a big deer, or you’re not. They aren’t traveling much right now.
Sheesh what a buzz killer you are.... Just messin 😄

• Haha
Reactions: jagermeister