Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 SHROOMS!

Jamie

Ohio
as nice as they are canned, they are still better fresh, of course. I've been eating the hell out of the ones I got Sunday. if you are going after some, I suggest taking sharp scissors. I use the same kind of utility shears that I use for skinning squirrels. cut the stems instead of plucking them from the ground. two good reasons for doing this. some argue that cutting the stems and leaving the "roots" helps maintain the mycelium, thereby helping the colony spread and fruit more although that is debatable. the other is that these are dirty enough when they are nice a clean looking. bringing more dirt home on the stems just makes them harder to clean, which matters quite a lot when you have 30 lbs to wash.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Well I went looking and I'm hoping I found something good here. If good I could fill buckets up with them. Jamie you were right! Way easier than morels
11562.jpeg
11561.jpeg
11558.jpeg
11559.jpeg

Jamie

Ohio
GT, none of those are Chanterelles. I don't know what they are.

these are Chanterelles, though. pretty good haul today. Nancy and I got drenched again, but I'd rather be wet than sweating my balls off and covered with mosquitos. Nancy found a very young cluster of Chicken of the Woods. enough to take since I may not go back to this woods until December after squirrels. this is a shade over 15 lbs. I actually weighed them. most of these will go to the canner. COW in bottom left corner of pic.

IMG_3465.JPG

Jamie

Ohio
I had to mow at High Voltage Acres (f.k.a. "Ground Zero", which apparently is inappropriate and offensive to some people because, well you know why) today, so I checked my Chanterelle patches. got another 8-9 lbs worth in less than an hour and some very pretty ones. mushrooms on fire now. found a nice flush of Oysters, too. these are what I kept to eat for the next few days until I can go get more. the rest of yesterdays and todays take are in the canner now. 8 pints, 12 half pints. all of last year I only managed to put up 9 half pints; my worst year ever since I started hunting these seriously. shaping up to be a banner year for the golden fungus.

IMG_3467.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
a very productive day of mushroom gathering. my magic mushroom woods is loaded beyond belief right now with choice Chanterelles. took Nancy and me about 1 1/2 hours to get all of these and carry them back to the truck, which is about as easy as it gets. I filled the canner again, and still have more than I can probably eat in the next few days. probably get more tomorrow. fellas, if you have inclination to go get some of these, I highly suggest doing it now. they are EVERYWHERE. I know that I could go get this many more, or even more this very minute. anyone interested in collecting some send me a PM.

IMG_3469.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
clothing soaked in Permethrin, Thermacell running, and some Deet on the hat, neck and ears to keep the skeeters off my head. they didn't bother us at all today despite cutting 90% of these next to a large marshy area in the middle of the woods. Thermacell really does work well when there is not much air moving. and we didn't get drenched with rain today. freakin' awesome day of shroomin'. this makes a total of 28 pints I've put up in two outings. on top of what I still have left from the last two seasons, I'm not canning any more Chanterelles this year. I'll keep cutting enough to keep me in a fresh supply until they are done in a few weeks. good luck.

Buckmaster

Portage
After 7” of rain last week my yard is mushroom city here in Portage. I’ll take a quick walk tonight to see if I can locate some yellow. First time looker.

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
I'm in Portage Co. & the chants in my spot are just coming up. Also been picking some great boletes. Jamie your hauls are amazing. Mind sharing your canning method? I canned wine caps last year that were good . It called for 45 minutes in the pressure cooker. Are you about the same?

Attachments

• 20210720_171057.jpg
    20210720_171057.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210720_105713.jpg
    20210720_105713.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 83

Jamie

Ohio
happy to. I break up the larger mushrooms into smaller pieces, leave the smaller one s whole. I steam them in small batches to make them soft and pliable enough to pack tightly into jars. 10-15 minutes in the steam, depending on how many you can do at a time. I pack them as tightly as I can. use the liquid from the steam bath to top off the jars and displace unwanted air pockets. I go 30 minutes at 10-12lbs, i.e. 240 or so degree in pressure canner. thassit. that is a nice mess of Boletes!

IMG_3474.jpg

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
happy to. I break up the larger mushrooms into smaller pieces, leave the smaller one s whole. I steam them in small batches to make them soft and pliable enough to pack tightly into jars. 10-15 minutes in the steam, depending on how many you can do at a time. I pack them as tightly as I can. use the liquid from the steam bath to top off the jars and displace unwanted air pockets. I go 30 minutes at 10-12lbs, i.e. 240 or so degree in pressure canner. thassit. that is a nice mess of Boletes!

View attachment 131502
Thanks, no salt or seasonings? So drain them off & into the fry pan when ready to eat.? I don't care for them dried other than grinding them for a seasoning. To rubbery. I normally half way fry them & freeze. Bought a Presto canner last year for garden stuff so that's my other option for mushrooms. The boletes are the best I've ever found & they're in my daughters back yard of her newly purchased house. Thick & meaty but the biggest are a little bigger than a golf ball. Not sure what kind of bolete they are. Great summer for mushrooms with all this rain.

Reactions: Jamie and Sgt Fury

Jamie

Ohio
Thanks, no salt or seasonings? So drain them off & into the fry pan when ready to eat.? I don't care for them dried other than grinding them for a seasoning. To rubbery. I normally half way fry them & freeze. Bought a Presto canner last year for garden stuff so that's my other option for mushrooms. The boletes are the best I've ever found & they're in my daughters back yard of her newly purchased house. Thick & meaty but the biggest are a little bigger than a golf ball. Not sure what kind of bolete they are. Great summer for mushrooms with all this rain.
Yes, I do add 1/2 tsp kosher salt to pints, 1/4 tsp to half pints.
Yes, you can drain and sauté. I also add them to canned venison, squirrel gravy, casseroles, stews, and pretty much always substitute for button mushrooms.

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
easy pickin's today again. I didn't have to walk 100 yards to get these, could have cut 5 times this many, so I did some cherry picking as I'm done canning and these are surely as much as I can possible eat in the next 4-5 days. tons of Chanterelles everywhere I ever find them in central Ohio.

IMG_3485.jpg

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
easy pickin's today again. I didn't have to walk 100 yards to get these, could have cut 5 times this many, so I did some cherry picking as I'm done canning and these are surely as much as I can possible eat in the next 4-5 days. tons of Chanterelles everywhere I ever find them in central Ohio.

View attachment 132134

View attachment 132134
Been filling bags in Portage co. to, great weather for shrooms & mosquitoes. Also picked some great boletes.