Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2023 shrooms!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
22722.jpeg

Jamie

Ohio
Chicken of the Woods, and those look super fresh. Primo. I like them breaded and deep fried pretty well. I'm actually going to use the last pound I have tonight in tacos instead of ground venison. Google for recipe ideas, but you can use them as a substitute for meat in lots of dishes. If they are fresh like those, they are awful good on their own.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Chicken of the Woods, and those look super fresh. Primo. I like them breaded and deep fried pretty well. I'm actually going to use the last pound I have tonight in tacos instead of ground venison. Google for recipe ideas, but you can use them as a substitute for meat in lots of dishes. If they are fresh like those, they are awful good on their own.
Do I just peel them from tree or cut them leaving stumps for next year to harvest? Do I soak in water in fridge for certain length of time? Do you fry them dipped in wet batter or dust them with flour before frying them?

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
I usually just trim off the soft edges. As you get closer to the wood it's harder to cut through & not as good on the plate. Yours looks pretty fresh so you can just cut off at the base. You can cook them any way you cook chicken. Our favorite is to cut in strips. Four/egg wash & bread crumbs. Fry them up & they are just like chicken fingers. Also great in a stir fry.

Jamie

Ohio
I usually just trim off the soft edges. As you get closer to the wood it's harder to cut through & not as good on the plate. Yours looks pretty fresh so you can just cut off at the base. You can cook them any way you cook chicken. Our favorite is to cut in strips. Four/egg wash & bread crumbs. Fry them up & they are just like chicken fingers. Also great in a stir fry.
That is exactly what I do, too.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I read online you must pay particular attention to what type of tree fungi including COTH is growing on especially conifers. I’m pretty sure this mature tree that was alive and snapped off this winter/spring is a Magnolia tree. I also read you should cook at least 10 minutes to 15 minutes for allergy reaction reasons.

Bluefinn

Portage Co.
I read online you must pay particular attention to what type of tree fungi including COTH is growing on especially conifers. I’m pretty sure this mature tree that was alive and snapped off this winter/spring is a Magnolia tree. I also read you should cook at least 10 minutes to 15 minutes for allergy reaction reasons.
I've heard the same about mushrooms growing directly on conifers. Except for reishi growing on hemlocks. I've read that any wild mushroom should be cooked & I don't think I would want to eat any raw anyway. I know dozens of people that have eaten them without any issues except for one guy that gets an upset stomach with chanterelles. If you have any concerns just try a small amount first to see if there are any problems. I guess anyone can be allergic to anything. Enjoy them chickens. I haven't seen any this year myself & they're one of my favorites if found fresh.

Jamie

Ohio
The last of my Chickens have been in the fridge for over a week and starting to look it. Finely chopped Chickens make a wonderful taco filling. My first time using these for this purpose, and it went exceedingly well simply substituting mushrooms for ground venison. Taco Tuesday soaring to new heights. :)

IMG_4205.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Seriously? You are 93 years old and enjoy the outdoors as much as anyone, AND you've never tried these?! Fry them up and cover them in that rat gravy you make😍
Many a morels but first try of COTW’s. Just never really found any to try. How far out is that considering nearly 46years of outdoor activities enjoyed.