Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

870 sling studs.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I think many, almost all, are missing the liability angle as to why Remington does not have a front sling stud on any of the 870's models,1100's 1187's. Most of you probably note the way sling swivels now have a safety knob on the swivel. So Remington let Uncle Mikes assume the liablity if a sling comes off, the gun drops and the owner did not have the safety on. You need to remember at first, 870 express's sold for $189. I did see one this weekend at a well known gun show priced at $595 with the laminated stock.(nutty price).
Mossberg 500's resale value is like only $150. Remember many mossbergs have cheap plastic thumb safeties on top the receiver. They do break when dropped.
I do not have much confidence in a drilled and tapped ALuminum receiver. Once they strip, the gun is JUNK.
The only mossberg I have is a maverick, $75 with a heat shield and pistol grip as oppose to 11 remingtons

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You like this and I like that. I would only drive a Chevy or Dodge truck if it was free. Our Ford 250-350-450 trucks for the last 20 yrs. have went through hell and back and never broke down and left us stranded and that's pulling a heavy loaded 24 ft. car trailer with gunshow lead bullets and such.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Wah wah wah. Lol. You don't need to remove the factory bead to use an aftermarket bead. Just get a tube-style fiberoptic that sits over the rib like a saddle. But I guess if you prefer just a single bead then yea you've got some work to do replacing one on an 870. But to be 100% honest, I'd much rather shoot an 870 with no bead at all than shoot any mossy 500.

This ^^^!

Ohhhh. So as long as there's a magnetic clip on piece of junk available then it's ok that a company didn't take the extra microsecond to tap a hole like their competitor does VS press fitting in a bead

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Why is it in the Turkey section then? ...in April.

:pickle:

Sum beech. It is. I think the glove comment was meant to be overall and not specific to a target species. The point still stands however. A thumb safety if far more efficient to operate with thick gloves on than a trigger safety. Pure ergonomics. Hence the reason that just about every military weapon is equipped with one. ;)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is quite simple to replace the bead on my Mossturd Grand Slam turkey gun. I get to do it almost every year. Keeps falling off. Wish the rear sight wasn't sprung. I would call them to send another, but I would be calling them again in two weeks when the next one is sprung.

Sure love my 870. Well, except the wood. One week in the woods and it looks like you have carried it for 10yrs. Cheap stock compared to the old ones. Probably birch or something. It would be nice to mount a scope without using the saddle style adapter or having it drilled and tapped.

My point? We can find flaws with any of them. Sort of like spouses. Not sure there is a perfect one. Just the one you get used to. lmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ohhhh. So as long as there's a magnetic clip on piece of junk available then it's ok that a company didn't take the extra microsecond to tap a hole like their competitor does VS press fitting in a bead

No... First off those aftermarket beads are not junk and second only an idiot would rely solely on the magnet. Its funny, I've never had a bead fall off a 870 but hicks keeps losing em from his Mossy. Dang, glad mine is pressed in. Lol. It's all preference man. You think that thumb safety is the shit and I think it IS shit. Only difference is you're stuck on trying to make everyone believe your preference is way more than just a preference... when really it's not.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No... First off those aftermarket beads are not junk and second only an idiot would rely solely on the magnet. Its funny, I've never had a bead fall off a 870 but hicks keeps losing em from his Mossy. Dang, glad mine is pressed in. Lol. It's all preference man. You think that thumb safety is the shit and I think it IS shit. Only difference is you're stuck on trying to make everyone believe your preference is way more than just a preference... when really it's not.

Not preference. It makes better sense to thread and tap it for a screw in bead. It's easier to change than a pressed in bead that has to be cut off and drilled and tapped. Or a pressed in bead where you are forced to rely on some alternate attachment method for an aftermarket sight. That's why your vehicle comes with lug nuts that screw off instead of the rims being welded to the hubs. Maybe we should call every auto manufacturer and tell them to get rid of those pesky bolts on things like water pumps and just weld it all together. Someone call all these bow manufacturers and tell them to stop tapping the risers for stabilizers. Just press fit a factory stabilizer on the bow and call it a day. Face it buddy. If Remmington could cut a corner on this gun they did. If you wanted to put a picatiny rail, sling, and aftermarket bead on the gun you're looking at drilling and tapping no less than six holes and buying another mag cap. Know how many you have to drill and tap on a Mossy. None. And the sling studs come installed. Hell. The receiver holes in the mossy even come with screw in flush mount plugs to unscrew and add a rail if you like. Not only did they drill and tap hole just in case you want to add a rail. They even filled them with plugs for you. Remnington won't even tap a factory mag cap to accept a sling stud much less include one.

angelzd28

Love this thread, Grew up on a 20ga Mossberg 500 youth model. Now I own 2 870's. One is a 20ga wingmaster, with a wood stock I use for rabbit hunting, and the other is a 870 super magnum, with a synthetic stock, I use for turkey and deer. Like many have said on here I prefer the 870, although the 500 is a great gun as well. Tomato/Tomatoe...........

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
They both suck. They both work for what they were made. Cheap, usable firearms.

If I had to choose it would be a Remington. Luckily I am not in that position.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hey for all you Remington 870 lovers. I have a older Rem 870 20 ga with a older Polly choke on it for 400.00 and shipping or FTF.
Belongs to a Doctor friend and he's had it for years. No blue left but no rust either.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is quite simple to replace the bead on my Mossturd Grand Slam turkey gun. I get to do it almost every year. Keeps falling off. Wish the rear sight wasn't sprung. I would call them to send another, but I would be calling them again in two weeks when the next one is sprung.

Sure love my 870. Well, except the wood. One week in the woods and it looks like you have carried it for 10yrs. Cheap stock compared to the old ones. Probably birch or something. It would be nice to mount a scope without using the saddle style adapter or having it drilled and tapped.

My point? We can find flaws with any of them. Sort of like spouses. Not sure there is a perfect one. Just the one you get used to. lmao
And on this last day of Turkey season I awake at 4am when the dogs want out. Eat breakfast, go to grab the Mossturd, realize the front sight is missing again. Joe, what are the specs on that 870 again? We might have to work a trade. Never have I owned a shotgun which has given me so many frustrations. I still stand by my original thoughts: they all have their flaws and they are all junk to some extent.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I haven't read all the posts within this thread, however I cared to share what I have done over the years as a great solution that some may be interested in.

It's something that I prefer to do for my 12g Remington 870 Express Magnum rather than any other solution quite honestly, which is super easy, very cheap and does a fantastic job of always keeping me on target while taking any shot every time at any deer.

I always carry my shotgun using this method. Either over my shoulder on one side or around my shoulder neck area on one side, across the chest with butt stock end located on the opposite side near my waist,,, or have the rifle in my arms with the string wrapped around my left forearm & through the palm of my left hand while stalking/still hunting - ready to 'Rock -n- Roll'!

With that particular method, not only is it much easier to target any deer on the move, it also makes it much easier for any follow up shots if I need to - very quickly!

This method/solution will minimize the rifle recoil as well, both up & back. I've taught and shared this method with my sons and anyone else that was new to the gun sport or those that were interested in seeing my setup. I've had nothing but positive feedback from everyone that I've shared this method with and now I'm sharing it right here with you-all.

Solution/method:

Use approximately 50" long x 1/4" thick greenish nylon string or one that's going to be long enough to allow you to hang the rifle over your neck and shoulder area and across your front chest area, with the rifle draping off your back. Make slip knots on each end that allows you to easily slip the string over the end of the rifle barrel & butt stock. You can easily take the string off anytime. The simple weight of the rifle will keep tension on the string knots, always securing the rifle in place. I also place a center loop in mine because I also haul the rifle up into my tree stands with a safety 'D' ring tree rope, then I'll hang the rifle on a lag hook screwed into the tree.

2018-08-24_11.31.36[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20161130_091831.jpg
    20161130_091831.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited: