Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

870 Wingmaster 12 gauge w/ both barrels...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Typicality you can look at it and see what it's life has been like.. If it's beat you rest assure its not worth it... Not to say it'll be perfect but if it looks lightly used then it's more than likely that....

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Jesse, as a lover of Wingmasters, I say you did pretty good on this combo. I guarantee that thing is a killer on anything you shoot at. Old shotguns are pieces of living art and history wrapped into one, only deserving to be enjoyed and cared for by the next person.

As far as buying a new one for $400, it aint happening. Atleast not a Wingmaster, maybe an express. My buddy loves my WM20, and was pricing a new Wingmaster 20 for himself last year, and couldnt find a combo for under $1000.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
someone mention police model. possible. There are quite a few Ohio State Highway Patrol guns that were sold off and look like this one but the OSP ones are marked as such but show lots of wear.

As far as I know, Remington does not make blued wingmasters for several years. They do make 1100's.

A little technicality, most wingmaster barrels had a 3" chamber(even if marked 2 3/4) But the difference in the serial number m versus V is the location of the ejector which is located 1/4" different in the frame.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Nope, just a 1187.

I keep reading here that Remington quality has dropped, but for me there is a line between paying for something old and worn out (not saying this gun is) vs. having newer designs & technology. The question/gamble is just how bad or how high is the risk of the new version not performing as well as this old one? Donno, just saying I could not spend $400 on pump shotgun that is 47yrs old without doing a comparison. If the gun was 99%, no question. I just don't' see that in this picture and I am not a gun expert nor have I ever been to a gun show.

If I had a choice between this gun for $400 and a free express I'd pay $400.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree. They preach a lot today about machine tolerances and better steel etc. I think it's a load of crap. To me that just means they found a more efficient way to cut corners. The midmarket gun industry has gone from experienced gunsmiths completing the fit and finish by hand; to cranking them off an assembly line and having a trained monkey do quality-control with a go no-go template.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I agree. They preach a lot today about machine tolerances and better steel etc. I think it's a load of crap. To me that just means they found a more efficient way to cut corners. The midmarket gun industry has gone from experienced gunsmiths completing the fit and finish by hand; to cranking them off an assembly line and having a trained monkey do quality-control with a go no-go template.

Yup... :smiley_cheers:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.

"One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. no machine can do the work of one extrodinary man." Elbert Hubbard