Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Adjustable Single Pin?

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
That's the sight that I'm eyeballing pretty heavy right now and we have similar setups. I'll be 30.5" and probably 70+, with an arrow in that 525-575 range. Do you feel like the two pins are easy to distinguish even in that vertical setup.
Yes without a problem. I believe my top pin is green and bottom is orange. I obviously use it for hunting, but also for indoor and outdoor 3D shoots. I switched to the 0.010 size pins and definitely like the smaller pin over the 0.019. Even low light I have no issues seeing the pins.

Reactions: Big_Holla
Ohio
I switched to a single pin when I picked up my new bow this year. I decided on the trophy ridge react alpha. The bow shoots flat out to 30 yards so that’s where I zeroed it in and then I can adjust yardages from there. I have enjoyed shooting it and have had no issues. I shot my buck at 10 yards this year and never had to think about another pin or messing with the sight. I like the clarity of only having one pin to look at in the heat of the moment.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
Agree with @Shoot-straight and @Chancegriffis. I have been shooting the same cooper john mark 4 for 10 years and will only upgrade to the fast eddie at some point as a luxury, not a need. Will likely never go back to multiple pins unless I find a need for it when hunting elk, pronghorn or mule deer. Doubt that though? I’d think whitetail in the midwest would be the toughest to adjust for on the fly and yes I’ve had some touch and go encounters but I shoot at 20 and 40 with my pin set at 30 on the range. so I know the elevation at those distances. I keep it at 30 default while hunting and adjust for the spot or if I have the chance as a deer approaches a specific yardage. If you’re in a situation where it’s happening so fast you cant move your pin, is that really a shot you’re going to be able to ethically take anyway even with a multi pin? In some cases sure but in many, probably not. It’s also 330am and im in the middle of Tennessee so I might be rambling.

I switched to a single pin Trophy Ridge Alpha React, about 4 years ago and would never go back to a multi-pin sight. Increased concentration with 1 pin is outstanding. (y)
You will need to set the sight at 20 yards and shoot it at 25, 30, etc. to know where it hits....in case you get caught in a situation of not being able to adjust the sight. :unsure: This is exactly what I did and it paid off this year with a buck that caught me on the ground. I held higher, knowing the distance was longer than 20 yards (ended up being 27 yards) and hit him a little low, but killed him, just the same. 😎 By not second guessing myself and using 1 pin, helped me make a clear/clean shot.

My bow is NO speed demon! I'm shooting 56# @ 29" DL and a 525 TAW. I have yet to shoot it through a chronograph, but online calculators has it at 260 fps. If I can do make it work with my setup, anyone can make it work! 💯

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• B5.jpg
    B5.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 167

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ever try a bow mounted range finder ?
I haven't, but I'm not interested in adding anything additional to my bow.

I was running through my bow kills in my mind last night and the only two shots I've taken over 35 yards, were shots where I had plenty of time to range and adjust a single pin had I been shooting one. Most of my shots have been 25-35, but I've also killed two of my big bucks inside 10 yards, so it definitely varies but 27 yards is probably the average. I know I've probably never taken an exactly 20 yards shot in the woods, but that's what I've always set my top pin for, so I've given thought to setting it at 23 yards and moving back from there.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
I have two HHAs KingPins. One single KingPin and one three KingPin. Both are equipped with a dial in adjustable wheel for yardage to target. I used the single for two seasons and it's still on my older Mathews Solo-Cam. The three pin is on the Mathews No-Cam. I prefer the three pin over the single for quicker acquisition on quick targets, especially on any moving target, or a deer hops in/out a few steps from what I previously ranged. I primarily set the middle pin for 30yrds, which the top is good for 20 and the lower for 40. If I need to make a quick adjustment on the fly, I can easily do that by a minor turn verses the single where as I would have to turn the dial much further to make those 10 yard increment adjustments, and with my poorer eyesight today, that takes too much time for me with a live moving target. I would be willing to sell my single pin and it's in prefect condition if interested and like I said, I used it for two seasons, then in my bow case for two more. I have brand new set of tapes for it as well for your arrow configuration.

So, three pin adjustable on the fly is my go to today. Sight window is not impacted negatively IMO with the three pins over the single. Much better than the five pin I used before I went with HHAs.

I do believe it's now sold. Just waiting on the buyer's money transaction to occur. He got the 'TOO' discount as well.

20211121_122945.jpg
20211121_123341.jpg
20211121_123801.jpg
20211121_123703.jpg
20211121_123647.jpg
20211121_125609.jpg

Reactions: Sgt Fury

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I keep mine on 30 yards, in most situations I'm holding only a smidgen high or low. I've had numerous kills where I had time to dial to exact yardage. It's not for everyone, but for me, a single pin works.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Cogz

Cogz
TX
One thing I thought about tonight is that i have to be able to move my pin with my release attached to my d loop. Wouldnt get one if i couldnt do that

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
A lot of great feedback fellas. My primary goal between this season and next is to eliminate and/or reduce the margins for error in my setup and it seems like a single pin would be a step in the opposite direction. The 2-pin version of the Fast Eddie seems like a good compromise.

@TinyTucky do you notice the vertical 2-pin making it easier/quicker/harder to level your bow versus horizontal pins?

Reactions: TinyTucky

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
A lot of great feedback fellas. My primary goal between this season and next is to eliminate and/or reduce the margins for error in my setup and it seems like a single pin would be a step in the opposite direction. The 2-pin version of the Fast Eddie seems like a good compromise.

@TinyTucky do you notice the vertical 2-pin making it easier/quicker/harder to level your bow versus horizontal pins?
I have played with horizontal pins but not at extended ranges so I can’t really say. I really only key in on my level when my shot is beyond 30 yards. I’d imagine they’re about the same.

WoodCoDep

BARTLETT, OH
It's not for everybody, but have you looked into the EZV. I love mine, no range finder necessary, lightweight, built like a tank, no pins to break etc, Been using one for two years now..for a hunting sight it was a no brainer for me. I shot single pin for prob ten years prior to the EZV, won't ever go back to multipin sight, I also ditched the peep and only use a nose button, i shoot as good or better than I ever have.